fonyx is offline Junior Member

intriguing T3 article

http://www.liebertonline.com/doi/abs...A%28cytomel%29

Thyroid
    The Effects of Triiodothyronine on Bone Metabolism in Healthy Ambulatory Men
    Apr 2003, Vol. 13, No. 4: 357-364

Steven R. Smith
    Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
    Jennifer C. Lovejoy, Jennifer Rood, Marlene Most, Peter J. Wickersham, Julia Volaufova, Donna Ryan, Richard Tulley, George A. Bray

The purpose of the present study was to determine the effects of supraphysiologic doses of triiodothyronine (T3) on skeletal metabolism, calcium balance, and the calciotropic hormones. Seven healthy, lean men were studied in an inpatient metabolic unit over a 63-day period. All volunteers received oral T3 at doses of 50-75 g/d. There was a prompt and sustained increase in calciuria and an overall net negative calcium balance. The pattern of changes in serum osteocalcin, urinary deoxypyridinoline (DPD)/creatinine ratio, and serum bone-specific alkaline phosphatase indicated an early increase in bone resorption followed by a late, incomplete compensatory increase in bone formation. Cumulative net calcium loss was 18.5 ± 5.4 g over the 63-day treatment period, averaging 218.5 ± 41.4 mg/d. This represents 0.22% ± 0.075% of the total skeletal calcium content. The cumulative net calcium loss over the 63-day treatment period was highly correlated with the change in DPD (r = -0.95, p = 0.001). Prompt increases in corrected serum calcium values resulted in serum intact parathyroid hormone (iPTH) levels decreasing by 30.4% (p = 0.08). Bone mineral density showed no change. We conclude that T3 accelerates bone turnover and that bone formation does not increase acutely to prevent bone loss.
    This paper was cited by:
    Rapid Differential Diagnosis of Graves' Disease and Painless Thyroiditis Using Total T3/T4 Ratio, TSH, and Total Alkaline Phosphatase Activity
    Tetsuo YANAGISAWA, Kanji SATO, Yoshiyuki KATO, Satoru SHIMIZU, Kazue TAKANO
    Endocrine Journal. 2005, Vol. 52, No. 1: 29
    CrossRef

---------------------------------------------------------------

From what I gathered, it states that T3 at dosages ranging from 50mcg-75mcg eats away at bone ? I might be wrong.

Seattle Junk is offline Anabolic Member
    Bone mineral density showed no change. We conclude that T3 accelerates bone turnover and that bone formation does not increase acutely to prevent bone loss.

Since this is laden with a lot of medical jargon, I'm not sure either. But I think it says the increase in metabolism increases bone turnover keeping bone density the same but not decreasing it. It doesn't build bones nor does it show a marked effect of density loss. I think calcium supplementation is probably a good idea while on t3 anyway. Drink yer milk.

Thread Information