Boldlygo is offline Banned

What would you do?

Ok, so I am going to go ahead and go through Oasis and pay out of my pocket for the stuff so it doesn't go on my insurance, but I need blood work and a physical, so I figured why not do that through a general practitioner here locally and have that covered by insurance.

So, I made an appointment and said I needed a physical and blood work because it has been so long, but Oasis said they will probably not check for Test levels etc... so I need to ask them to do that. What to say? I am open to any suggestions, but here is my current plan. Since I am over 30, I thought I would bring a copy of this "article" I printed out as follows:

Men's Health Over 30

Before starting an intense work out regimen or any new exercise routine at all for that matter, there are certain things you should do to safeguard your health. Especially if you plan on using any of the supplements found at your local health store that are touted as being able to increase your testosterone or increase your performance, or weight loss. Before you begin, you must, must do the following.

1. Get a physical, it's probably been a while since most people have had one anyway.

2. Get bloodwork done with a complete metabolic Panel - aka- Chem 12(liver, kidneys, CBC’s, bone, minerals and electrolytes)

Also, make sure that your Doctor checks the items below as well, because they might not be in the standard physical blood work ordered. Many Doctors, who do not specialize in sports medicine, are not informed enough to know that monitoring these is essential for an Athletes continued well being.

Lipid Panel – Cholesterol – fasting required
    Glucose
    PSA
    Free Testosterone
    Total Testosterone

The next two are not necessarily needed, but having a complete picture of your health is never a bad idea. IGF-1 and Estrodial.

Remember to always get a copy of everything from your Doctor for your own records, this makes it easier for you to look back at your results when new studies come to light on health and exercise. Go back in 3 to 6 months and at the very least have the blood work repeated. This should give you a good picture of what your routine and the supplements have done to your body. We would like to remind you that many of the supplements found in these health stores have had very little testing done on them, and little to no regulatory control. We are not encouraging or discouraging you from taking these supplements, only reminding you to be cautious with your health.

WHat do you think?

toobigforyou is offline Associate Member
    For sure its worth it to get your blood work and a check up. That way you know if there is a change while working out you have a base line of vitials to go off of. It helps if something does go wrong the docs will have a better idea of whats wrong when they have some base to go off of.
    And about the medical insurance, yeah, insurance sucks

MuckDog is offline Senior Member
    just tell your prim doc that u need your testerone levels checked also. i just did it last week and he set up a blood work apt for me. i didnt feel comfy asking him but f it - its his job. he even told me if i needed to be put on test he would do it....albeit im sure at a low dosage but anything helps...and of course ill have other stuff to help meet the necessary amount

I gues my point was, when I go to the Doc here locally and ask for all this extra blood work, what's the best way to ask without getting into the Test therapy stuff. I wrote that "article" thinking I could show him that and say well I read this and I am concerned about starting a "new" work out routine and trying some of the GNC supplements etc... and ask for the exta blood work then....

thoughts?

THANKS !!
    Last edited by Boldlygo; 10-07-2005 at 02:37 PM.

bump - only because appointment is Monday and need more feedback !!

THANKS !!

eGGz is offline Anabolic Member
    I would have made it known that I wanted testosterone levels checked at the time I made the appointment.

I tried. I told the receptionist that I had been doing some research on-line and that there were some other things I would wanted tested that are not in a standard physical blood test, and she said I should tell the Doctor when I came in.... so....

Any thoughts on my little "article" and showing it to the Doctor as my reason for wanting the extra testing?

THANKS !!

IBdmfkr is offline AR VET
    Say your energy levels are low lately, You've read this might be signs of dimenishing test levels at your age. Nuff said, no need to further explain yourself, Or just say I want my damn test levels checked.

eGGz is offline Anabolic Member
    Look man, you are the paying customer. You should be in the drivers seat. The receptionist did what she was told, get the customer to commit to an appointment. That was the time to make sure you will be getting the services you are going to be paying for. Never agree to pay unless you know what you are paying for.

I'd call back, get my questions answered to my satisfaction or go somewhere else.

Well, I need the physical anyway, and it's only $30 with my insurance, so I might as well go, and just tell the Doc I also want my Test levels checked...

THANKS !!

Thread Information