Thread: Painkillers!

Tankass is offline Senior Member

Painkillers!

OK. Here is the deal. For the past month I have been pushing myself so hard through workouts that the next day my body wont function. I seriously need like 8 advil when I wake up if I want to be able to goto class and function. Anyone have any recomendations for painkillers that I can take daily and I wont build a tolerance too or get addicted to. If this is how I feel now I can't imagine how I will feel when I get home and have acces to a Gym thats 100x better then what I have here. Not to mention my friends pushing me even harder. I need some advice. Hook me up! Thanks Bros...

Iron horse is offline Anabolic Member
    ibprophen (advil) can slightly inhibit gains i THINK. tylenol will help but how often would you want to take that??

you could always go to the pharmacy and ask for tylenol 2's with 8mgs of codeine if you were in deep pain.

have you consider professional massauges? they can help with muscle pain as well. also a good hot tub could help perhaps.

big N is offline Anabolic Member
    yea i got an advice for ya ,take some time off bro ,that means your body cant take any more it doesnt have time to recoop and by u tearing it down before it heals is overtraining.your body can only take so much and your at the point u r now bro its common sense .your body should not be sore all the time.as for painkillers all the good one s are adicting in the end,so it goes back to waht i said.thats the last thing u need is to be addicted to painkillers.

G Child is offline Anabolic Member
    Some kind of padded room...wearing some kinda white jacket...can't move...help!
    Hey bro, you can only do so much 'till your body tells you that's enough. Taking painkillers you will just be fooling yourself into thinking that your muscles have healed properly and you could risk not only addiction but hurting yourself too from overtraining.

murph is offline Member
    yes Iron Horse is right, the advil and tylenol actually stop protein synthesis(muscle growth) that normally occurs after weight training.This is according to study done at the university of Arkansas,and the university of California,Berkeley,....I saw this in this months issue of M.D. (muscular development),......it goes on to say that all your hard work in the gym will be for nothing if you take common pain killers......

Primetime is offline Associate Member
    A little time off is prolly needed. Straight up bro, the Magnetic Therapy products I have been using that I was telling you about have helped my soreness, stiffness, pain, recovery time and overall sense of well being. This stuff has been a miracle for me. Let me know and I will send some links.

Kaz
    Kaz is offline Member
    Im with all those who said take time off or at the least ease back a bit!

You SHOULD NOT be in pain like that!! Remember the cardinal rule - Listen to your body! - Yours is trying to tell you something so open your ears and listen to it!!

As Im sure anyone who has trained for any length of time knows, a week off every now and then works wonders for you when you hit the iron again. You have a complete rest, your muscles grow while you rest and when you get back the pumps are great!

Listen to your body bro! It sounds to me like its screaming for attention!

McBain is offline Member
    I agree look into deep tissue massage, not only can it be good for your muscles but it can be envigorating as well. Take a look at your diet, is it up to par? How much sleep are you getting? 8 hours _at least_ is best. Are you overtraining or maybe you need a week off?

Don't put stuff into your body if you don't have to bro. It's best to get to the root of the problem, rather than mask it with drugs. Trust me, your body will appreciate it, your gains will be better and you will be less likely to injure yourself. When taking pain killers this will not allow you to listen to your body as it will mask the pain, so you won't know when to back off.

TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator

Cool Not in the U.S.

Originally posted by Iron horse
    you could always go to the pharmacy and ask for tylenol 2's with 8mgs of codeine if you were in deep pain.
    Ah, you lucky Canadian bastard . . . Unfortunately, Tylenol with codeine is not available over the counter in the U.S., just in Canada.

The ones you described are actually Tylenol 1's (not 2's). Each contains 325 mg. acetominophen, 8 mg. codeine, and 15 mg. caffeine. (The caffeine makes the codeine work more efficaciously, and helps prevent the drowsiness effect of codeine.) They are available at any Canadian drug store in both name brand a generic versions. They are almost always kept behind the pharmacy counter, but they do not require a prescription.

There is also an aspirin version (aspirin instead of acetominophen), usually called "222's" or AC&C - aspirin, codeine, and caffeine. Like Tylenol #1, AC&C is also at any drug store, and is also kept behind the counter but available without a prescription.

Incidentally, because these are not available in the United States, Tylenol #1 and AC&C are among the drugs most illegally brought back across the border by Americans. You can get busted for having these in the U.S. without a prescription.

Now, to gsims . . . I agree with the other guys. Whoever said, "No pain, no gain," had his head up his butt. Some pain is normal when you start a new routine, and there is such a thing as good pain. But if you are in so much pain that you feel you need strong painkillers, you're working too hard. Give it a rest, and cut your weights - go for lower weight and more reps which, in addition to helping your situation, will improve your conditioning by varying your routine. Kaz put it best: Listen to your body.

And watch the painkillers. One problem that a lot of guys run into is that painkillers merely disguise or hide the pain, which makes you think that you can push harder or lift more than you should. This can end up exasperating an existing injury, or even causing an injury because you don't know when to pull back. You should never take anything for pain before you lift; instead, do your routine and take something, if you need it, after the workout.

Finally, eight Advils is waaaaaaay too much and can lead to systemic problems. The over-the-counter Advil/Motrin is 200 mg. per tablet. Even in prescription strength, the maximum dosage is 800 mg. tablets, which are generally prescribed four times a day (once every six hours). Moreover, taking eight Advils won't do you any more good than taking three or four of them - this is one drug in which the more you take, the less good it does (in fact, the most common prescription strength is 600 mg.) - in fact, by taking more you are only negating the pain management effects of the drug.

JRob is offline Associate Member
    If you are still on a cycle I wouldn't recommend taking tylenol. It is pretty hard on your liver, in fact taking too much of it can cause a very painful death that even if you go to the hospital there isn't much they can do to help you. I know because I almost OD on tylenol when I was younger and had to be in the hospital for about 3 days. Not fun.

McBain is offline Member
    Originally posted by JRob
    If you are still on a cycle I wouldn't recommend taking tylenol. It is pretty hard on your liver, in fact taking too much of it can cause a very painful death that even if you go to the hospital there isn't much they can do to help you. I know because I almost OD on tylenol when I was younger and had to be in the hospital for about 3 days. Not fun.
    Good point, drinking while taking large dosages of tylenol is a big no no also. Your liver will be hurting if you do.

Butch is offline Anabolic Member
    VICADIN!!!!!!!!!!!! oh did I mention VICADIN!!!!!! The greatest painkiller in the world.

But if you don't want to go that route, then I would say to lay of the training. It sounds as if you are overtraining. Try and kick it down a notch.

McBain is offline Member
    Originally posted by Butch
    VICADIN!!!!!!!!!!!! oh did I mention VICADIN!!!!!! The greatest painkiller in the world.
    You may want to lay off the vicodin, seems you like it a little too much

McBain, nice comment...lol!!!. No I am not addicted. However, if it is there I am taking them. A few Vics a couple of beers and you got yourself one hell of a party.

Thanks for all the advice. I think ill try toning down my workouts for a few days.

TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator

Cool Snore . . .

Originally posted by Butch
    . . . if it is there I am taking them. A few Vics a couple of beers and you got yourself one hell of a party.
    Gentlemen, I hope we all realize that when one talks about combining Vicodin with beer, we are talking about recreational drug use, not the amelioration of pain. And, in all cordiality, this is not a recreational drug board.

Having said that, Vicodin (and at least McBain knows how to spell it correctly ) is effective for pain, although not the strongest medication around. It's analgesic base, however, is Tylenol (acetominophen), so if Tylenol toxicity is a potential problem for you, Vicodin is contraindicated.

P.S. amelioration, analgesic, contraindicated . . . Damn, when I use that many multi-syllable words, I feel like Charles Emerson Winchester from M*A*S*H.
    Last edited by TNT; 05-03-2002 at 04:24 PM.

Re: Snore . . .

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TNT
    [B]Gentlemen, I hope we all realize that when one talks about combining Vicodin with beer, we are talking about recreational drug use, not the amelioration of pain. And, in all cordiality, this is not a recreational drug board.

Having said that, Vicodin (and at least McBain knows how to spell it correctly ) is effective for pain, although not the strongest medication around. It's analgesic base, however, is Tylenol (acetominophen), so if Tylenol toxicity is a potential problem for you, Vicodin is contraindicated.

TNT I thjink you got me all wrong bro. Vics with beer is a rec type of fun. Oh and sorry for misspelling VICODIN (I think I got it that time?). I really have no idea how to take your post. But to all the other members that read this, I was not trying to flame gsins.

cnyce89 is offline Banned
    NUBAIN!!!! hahaa....dont recomend it but hey you asked....
    nor is it cheap it you can find it

Originally posted by cnyce89
    nor is it cheap it you can find it
    Oh god... Haha

iron4life79 is offline Retired Moderator
    this is an excerpt from the pages of muscular development:
    from the university of arkansas-university at cal berkeley:
    pain killers stop muscle growth-
    giving subjects the maximum amountsof ibruprofen(advil,1200mg ed or acetaminophen,4000mg ed)stopped protein synthesis(muscle growth)that normally occurs after weight training.this was a very important study for bodybuilders. it showed that all your hard work in the gym will be for nothing if you take common painkillers.
    if your muscles hurt after a hard workout, take a hot tub and leave the analgesics alone.
    this wasnt the whole article, just some excerpts from it.

gsims, i know this dosent answer your question as to what to sub for these items you're using, but i figured you'd like to know at least this much.
    peace bb79

murph is offline Member
    Originally posted by barbells79
    this is an excerpt from the pages of muscular development:
    from the university of arkansas-university at cal berkeley:
    pain killers stop muscle growth-
    giving subjects the maximum amountsof ibruprofen(advil,1200mg ed or acetaminophen,4000mg ed)stopped protein synthesis(muscle growth)that normally occurs after weight training.this was a very important study for bodybuilders. it showed that all your hard work in the gym will be for nothing if you take common painkillers.
    if your muscles hurt after a hard workout, take a hot tub and leave the analgesics alone.
    this wasnt the whole article, just some excerpts from it.

gsims, i know this dosent answer your question as to what to sub for these items you're using, but i figured you'd like to know at least this much.
    peace bb79
    2 funny i wrote the same thing earlier take a look up,.........lol.....

iron4life79 is offline Retired Moderator
    Originally posted by murph
    2 funny i wrote the same thing earlier take a look up,.........lol.....

great minds think alike bro.................

peace bb79

I know this thread has been dead for a while, but I just saw it and thought I'd add a little something......

I would NOT recommend using a painkiller ala everyone else's advise. However, if you were going to use a painkiller, I would not recommend Vicoden (Hydrocodon) because of the Tylenol content. If you want something stronger, you could get Oxycodon (Percoden) which is similar to Vicoden and has a little bit of aspirin instead of Tylenol in it. Or, if you know where to get it (I've heard there is some in China ), you can use straight Hydrocodon without the Tylenol which will numb the pain and not hinder gains like tylenol or ibuprofin (Advil) do. Between 5-10mg of straight Hydrocodon does wonders for pain, and for you recreational people out there it's a lot of fun to drink on however I would NEVER recommend such a thing if you value your liver.

Just my .02.

Later
    GBH

P.S. Don't ask me why I know what I do about pills (recreationals especially). Those who know me know why, those who don't, don't worry about it.

Vegas Kid is offline Senior Member
    Hydrocodien is definitely a strong one. You shouldn't have to take any at all. Try some of that topical shit, that stuff usually works. Another option is accupuncture if it's available in your neck of the woods. No joke, this shit is awsome. I got in a wreck and my friend took me to some dude's house and he hooked me up. It was kind of freaky, but that shit is amazing.

datboychris is offline New Member
    If your not happy with your gains blame it on pain killers!!!

Full Intensity is offline Anabolic Member
    Originally posted by cnyce89
    nor is it cheap if you can find it
    I have to agree, and i finally found some too!

escalade is offline Junior Member
    i would def take some time off, if not then ease up a it on your workouts

DiMensionX is offline Member
    I can not believe no one mentioned the toxicity of APAP (AKA Tylenol) on the liver. NO ONE should take APAP while on a 17-AA EVER. APAP causes serious liver problems in dosages above 4 grams a day, and even less dosages on a regular basis WILL cause liver impairment. This is a documented medical fact.

Hydrocodone is ALWAYS mixed with APAP for the simple reason that one would most likely die of liver failure before a typical mono-drug overdose. The FDA has several guidelines such as this, it seems warped but is true. The lowest non-compounded hydrocodone/apap mix is with 325mg's of APAP, it is called Norco and contains 10mg's of Hydrocodone.

Oxycodone comes in several forms as well. Percocets have APAP and Oxycodone, Percodans contains ASA (Asperin) instead of APAP. Oxycontins contain NOTHING but time released Oxycodone, the time release is a function of the pill casing and is easily defeated at the moment. Perdue is reformulating Oxycodone for this very reason as it is a major drug of choice for abuse.

Codiene is almost worthless in my opinion. At dosages required for true pain relief it causes severe dehydration and constipation. This combined with a high protien diet will have you begging for some ex-lax.

In my opinion no one should be taking these or any other opiate based drugs while using juice. They will hinder gains, they are addictive, and they have ruined many peoples lives.

If anyone needs more info on ANY opiate based drug I can probably help. Let me know as I would rather someone be informed about a drug than naive.

DMX

R.I.E.N.G. is offline Junior Member
    What about those of us who can get REAL painkillers such as morphine sulphate, vicodin, codein, etc. ?

Wimmpy is offline Associate Member
    Take some time off!!!! Did anybody else say that? J/K

RudeBwoy is offline Junior Member
    I was in the same situation a while back. My body ached all over like I had the body ache flu. And the morning rise sucked like u said. I feel like that everytime I dont warm up right and blast through my sets. So in my case, I took 4 days off and felt good. I try not to over train and its worked for me. 8 hrs. sleep a night is a MUST! So try to get it. If you know you got the 8 hrs, you feel alot more rested. They say advil hinders gains, but I take 3 pills for aches now and then, and still gaining weight. Could be that Im not taking enough to hinder gains, not sure.
    Anyway, thats my experience with aches and pains. Good luck!

mackrazy is offline Junior Member
    yeah i think you need some time off bro. Cataflam works great for my pain but i still think you need to listen to your body

the original jason is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    nobody metionioned celebrex I have had real bad shoulder injury and a fucked back in the last 12 weeks, 200mg tab per day seems to do the trick but when my back joined my shoulder problem i had to take 2 per day for a while, however saying all this is just my experience I now after reading this do wonder if it will inhibit gains I am pretty fucked at the moment so was taking the opportunity to diet but seems im not getting better however the thought of 3 months with no training doesnt appeal to me

peace

Thread Information