kolaking is offline Associate Member

Anyone Ever Regain 100% After Disc Surgery?

I had a discectomy at C 6/7 in 2000, I'm just now starting back pretty hard and my left side Pec.& Tri. strength are lagging at the last few reps:and that was always my dominant side. I would have thought that after 5 years my strength would be the same on both sides. Has anyone else had this problem and did it finally catch up? Or is this permanent nerve damage that will be a permanent obstacle? Thanks, KK.

Mesomorphyl is offline Smart Ass Member
    I am not sure about discs... but you doc should have given you an idea. Listen it will be important for you to use dumbells. If you have problems lifting them into position, get a partner. Free weights are the way to go, do not overdue it until your body strengthens up. If you have to go lite... who cares? This is a lifestyle. I did not have disc problems but I got very sick, dont want to go into too much as I have told this story a few times, but I had surgery on my small intestines and they cut me from solar plexes to my waist line. My stomach muscles took along time to heal and they didnt even staple me up in line(so my muslces are not symetrical, not that you can see them anyway, lol).

Before they found out what was wrong I went from a natty 200 all the way down to 153. I had to work my ass off, along with taking tpn which is intraveinous feeding, to get to 180ish... Well in come steroids after healing all the way and being in the gym. About 3 years and 7 cycles later I am over 230. I actually got to about 230 after my 5th cycle. The other two though bulking gained a few lean pounds. I have been as heavy as 245ish but with 19-20% bf. But I have trouble eating enough clean to get beyond my natural limits, which I believe is about 230 with 16% body fat. I would like to be 225 with about 11-12% but I would have to do a cutting cycle... I cannot bring myself to do one yet... haha

Hope my story helps even if not in the same catagory.

kolaking is offline Associate Member
    Yeah it helps alot,thanks. Actualy I am using dumbells and taking it easy. Glad to hear that you made it back. At 5'8 and 130 lbs until 28 i would never dream of being anywhere near 200 lbs, but now i'm 34 and 180, don't know my BF% probly pretty high, alot of my weight is in my gut, and sides. when I hurt myself I was at 165 and lean but partied to much,probly wasted alot of the effects of the cycles. i think with 5 years and alot more cycles I may hit around 200 lean:who knows maybe more, never thought I could weigh this much. KK.

Bigun is offline Senior Member
    I have had a fusion at c5 and c6 and my left side is now stronger than my right 3 years later after I put more emphasis on developing the weaker side with damaged nerves

Infidel is offline Junior Member
    My L-4 and L-5 are herniated. I'm scared to get the surgery though. Don't want to end up fvcked up worse. I don't trust em. Was on pain meds for a long time but came off of em. Got a cortisone shot, seems to help for a few months
    Not sure about your issue though. where's the C4/C5? Must be higher up. Mines near the tailbone.

Mesomorphyl is offline Smart Ass Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Infidel
    where's the C4/C5? Must be higher up.
    C=cervical (neck, upper shoulder)
    T=thorasic (midsection)
    L=lumbar

Thread Information