wolar32 is offline Junior Member

TJ Trip And Past Experience

I'm planning another vacation to TJ. I have been going there since 1991 When I was stationed in Oceanside. I now live 6 hrs away but still go 2-3 times a year. However, after my experience in 2003 and from what I have read on prior posts, it is getting more and more dangerous. The environment down there is just so dynamic, you never know what to expect.

In Jan 2003, I was busted by the policia and had an aweful experience. I got comfortable and it led to my demise. After going to one place, I went to this other place to grab a few things. The person I did business with for years was on vacation. I ended up doing business with this new guy. When I left he had a derisive smile on his face and I didn't really think much of it. I went to a bar and got a drink, then went to the car. I then left the parking lot and bam!, we are immediatley trailed by 3 police cars (they came out of nowhere). One pulled us over and the other pulled along side, with one in front. They told us to follow them and they led us to a remote part of town. They demanded $1200 in cash to let us go or they would take us to the "narcotic detectives". We didn't have that much cash. Then they took our wallets and found my ATM card. At that point they drove me to the ATM machine and made me pull out the maximum $300. After pleading with them they finally let us go. I now know why that fat guy was smiling at me! (There is obviously more to this than I have mentioned.)

In over 14 years, I had the one mishap. I attribute it to being partly my fault for getting comfortable (I deviated from my normal routine), partly the fat guy's fault. Since then, I have avoided this place and now just go to one of the other graneros I have frequented in the past (by smart and final). Now I am hearing that this place is attracting heat (policia, DEA). I am hoping this is a rumor because this guy has always been an honest proprietor. Those of you who are familiar with TJ know what place I am talking about and might be able to determine if this is just a rumor. I am trying to gauge the climate before I go.

That shit's getting too hot bro. With all the European suppliers and better gear I just don't see why not find a good mail order source??

madflabby is offline Associate Member
    Sounds shitty, but unless you were buying cocaine or heroin,why did they mess with you? Steroids are legal in Mexico. Also I grew up in San Diego, now life in San Luis Obispo county (6hours away) Is that where you are too? Just curious.

I am a little further north (I was estimating 6hrs-prob 8hrs) of Fresno. They said I violated Mexican narcotics code, and I would have to go before the "narcotics investigators". They said a distribution charge can land me in prison for 20yrs. At that point, I didn't want to find out whether they were lying or not. Not having a prescription can get you in some serious trouble. That is where they were trying to nail me. The officer said it is a law that they don't pursue often, but can. Lucky for me, they took the cash and left me alone. I am still not sure if they actually could have trown me in jail for it. Does anyone know the laws in Mexico?

LiLSaVaGe is offline Junior Member
    Yeh bro Smart & Final Granero is a HOT SPOT. They wanted $300 I gave them $15.00 and my boy gave them $60.00. They let us go and we got to keep our gear, Besides the gun put to my back, I think that we got away pretty good. Won't do that again.

Smiley619 is offline Member
    are we talking about the same spot with the mexican guy with a big ass burn on his face?!?!?!?!

Yes, I thought it was a scar of some sort. Very nice guy.

Were they standing right out front of this location? I was just there in Aug and there were about 10-15 cops right past smart-and-final (past overpass) at the beginning of the onramp to SD exit. I would gladly pay $60 to get rid of them. I'll have to watch my back.

that sucks big ones...been to every vet place down there and that was the best by far. but the one by club animal (i think thats where it is) has a pretty good selection as well.

Yeah, I know that one. I just try to avoid Revolution if I can. They have policia swarming all over the place on Revolution.

true, thats why i always have my friend and his kid with me, takes all the heat off when you got a youngin with you as bad as it sounds.or a girl..anything but a group of swole guys!

and if you stay away from rev. where do you go?rosarito?

musclemadman is offline New Member
    I go to the smart and final guy all the time without a problem.

madflabby is offline Associate Member
    I was in TJ w/my daughter a few years a go, walking down one of those little stip malls, and this dude yells out, Hey you want some PUSSY MAN, I'm like' "No I'm good, thanks" (Kind of uncomfortable because my 8 year old daughter is w/me), then he goes, OK you want some MOTA? , Again, "No thanks" THen he looks me up and down and goes, "Ok Homey, how about some STERRRRRRRRRROOOOIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDS" I busted up laughing, but declined.

Reprisal 6 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiley619
    and if you stay away from rev. where do you go?rosarito?
    There is Rosarito. You can drive your car in there but make sure you have your directions down pretty well because the first few on ramps and off ramps can be confusing right when you cross over.

If you drive down there, right when you pull into Rosarito, Get out of your car and walk. Try to stay out of your car as much as possible. The cops will pull you over for no reason and make stuff up. And trust me, they circle the downtown strip looking for California plates. The place isn't too big so walking isn't a problem. I get off at the Second Rosarito exit and park at the first place I see. Close enough to downtown, and close to the freeway. This will also buy you time so after you make a purchase so you can check your back a few times to make sure you don't have a trailer behind you waiting to take down a description of your car or license plate.

You can also take the bus. The Mecicoach Bus Station is the name of the line. Located on Revolution between 6th & 7th. You can buy a round trip ticket for 6 USD to Rosarito.
    Better yet go to Ensenada. Bigger, better selection. The bus line is located on the corner of Frontera & Amistad. That's on the street just before entering the small plaza with the foot bridge in back. If you get lost, just ask any cab driver it's only 50 yards up the street from that first plaza as you walk across the border. Busses run every half hour at $7.65 USD.

i stay near tj, so im not stranger to tj and rosarito.there all the time weather it be the juice, clubs or just to eat. but that is some good info for ppl who really dont know too much about baja cali

Thread Information