bigbouncinballs is offline Senior Member

new title: who's had a hernia?

don't have health insurance, maybe someone's had the same condition so i can save some cash, but i'll probably end up going anyway.
    a quarter inch up from the top of my navel in between the two ab muscles is a semi-soft(not hard) lump that feels about about a quarter to a half inch wide and long. the wierd thing is(this gets gross) i can feel it from inside my navel and if i give it some pressure it empties with a feeling similar to a big pimple emptying, i can actually feel whatever is inside the lump being squeezed out(sorry for the detail but i assume its important) i've only done this emptying thing twice cuz it comes right back the next day.
    is this a hernia? i've heard those hurt or are accompanied by moderate discomfort but i can't even feel this thing.
    any ideas before i head off to the doc?
    thnx
    Last edited by bigbouncinballs; 11-03-2005 at 03:05 AM.

mesoman is offline Junior Member
    buddy im a medic and yep u guessed it its a hernia that u describe and u needto get it seen to so see ur doc.

ummm... do these things go away? is there any danger in waiting a month or so? i'm gonna research it right now but any feedback would be great.

thnx for the reply mesoman, i'll sleep easier tonight knowin what the hell this thing is!

edmen2 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbouncinballs
    ummm... do these things go away? is there any danger in waiting a month or so? i'm gonna research it right now but any feedback would be great.

thnx for the reply mesoman, i'll sleep easier tonight knowin what the hell this thing is!
    sounds like an abdominal hernia. yes u can wait to have it looked at and no they dont go away without surgery. u can go without a doc as long as u can tolerate but it will continue to get bigger. good thing about it is that it is a same day surgery and u will b home the same day of ur procedure and may b out of the gym for about 4 wks tops.

yeah, did some research... turns out there are a couple methods docs use to fix these things.. there's gotta be someone on here that's had a hernia, maybe i'll change the title of the thread. i'm lookin at the "mesh" surgery and wonderin how much it costs. says u could be back in the gym within a week.

Go Canucks Go is offline New Member
    It usually takes about 3 weeks before you can start back at it again.
    Go Nux

justtrnd40 is offline Associate Member
    I have an umbilical hernia and have had it for about 12yrs. Had it looked at by 2 docs and said not to worry about it? Havent had any trouble with it but its kinda of scarey when your doing bench and waiting for you guts to explode out of it. Mine is about the size of a nickel right above my navel. It sounds like yours might be a little higher?

smiler is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by justtrnd40
    I have an umbilical hernia and have had it for about 12yrs. Had it looked at by 2 docs and said not to worry about it? Havent had any trouble with it but its kinda of scarey when your doing bench and waiting for you guts to explode out of it. Mine is about the size of a nickel right above my navel. It sounds like yours might be a little higher?
    ditto. I have the same. no worries, my doc said whenever I'm ready to have it fixed. mine hurts a little thuogh. especially after workout

Quote Originally Posted by justtrnd40
    that's the same size and location of mine... bench is fine, im just worried about squats...don't want any more intestine where its not supposed to be

ultimate_beef is offline Associate Member
    my father has a hernia. He has had it over 12 years. Hes scared to go under the knife. The thing in his stomach looks like a ball. I always told him to get it out, but he wont. So maybe you should get it checked out bro before it turnes into a baseball in your stomach.

justtrnd40 is offline Associate Member
    [QUOTE=bigbouncinballs]that's the same size and location of mine... bench is fine, im just worried about squats...don't want any more intestine where its not supposed to be [/QUOTE
    I can only speak from my experience and what the docs told me. I still worry about it but like I said I have had it for about 12 yrs and it has not gotten any bigger or worse. I have good insurance and still don't want to mess with it. Good luck Man.

magic32 is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Doc time!

candog22 is offline Junior Member
    I have one - its been in the works for about 5 years. Went to the surgeon last week and she said similar stuff....it wont get better, it has to be fixed. So, Im doing it on Dec 16. She said the bigger and younger you are, the longer the recovery becasue of there is more muscle she has to go thru. She also said I can do it at my convienience, but it will have to be done and I should stay within 6 hours of a major city where I can get medical care - because if it "pops" it can become strangulated and the circulation to the bowel, or intestines can get cut off and it can "die". When it pops is when emergency surgery is requried. So, i plan to get as lean as I can before the surgery, and then I can sit on my ass for 4 weeks prior to going back to the gym after...

so how does one know if it "pops"...

candog22 is offline Junior Member
    I think you'll know - from what I understand, youll be in some excruciating pain...

magicstick2003 is offline Anabolic Member
    just read the lats post. i would defintily get it looked at, there is as stated the chance it could become strangled in which cause it could kill off the portion of the intestine caught.... I had dougble hernia a while back it's not bad, just take it easy a little after. they have some now you can go back to work the following day so down time would be minimal... better then having part of your intestines die and having to get that fixed..

patriot37 is offline New Member

Lightbulb

bro,

why wait it just gets worse, if you have no insurance definately get it before you go in it does cost quiet a bit. A lot depends on how bad it is but you will need to see a gastro surgeon and go under anesthesia so you know that cost big money. Umbilical hernia can wait as any hernia but you will most likely have pain and discomfort with squats and deadlifts. If you get it taken care of asap the faster you will be at full strength. The longer you go the longer your rehab will be. I had an ingenuil hernia and a hydroseal that became incarcerated because I waited 5 years to get it fixed luckily I went in and they gave me emergency surgery. Since I waited so long I had a real bad one I was on crutches for 3 weeks and took 8 months till I felt full strength. And it hurt like hell. Get your insurance get it taken care of and with in 8 weeks you will feel like new.

Thread Information