Eddie8 is offline Associate Member

Old school dosage vs. current trends

I was reading the new edition of Muscular Development. They always do some articles on AAS. One of the articles talks about the doses that were taken 30 to 40 years ago. It goes on to say that the old doses were about 5 to 50 mg per day of d-bol and 200mg per week of injectable, test or deca . I can attest to these amounts from my experience when I did my first cycle roughly 23 years ago. I was training in a very hard-core gym that produced many high-level body builders and our source was the gym manager. For my first cycle he put me on 200mg of test per week, nothing stacked and then after 6 weeks we switched to 10mg of var ED with 100mg of deca per week. These amounts by today’s standards are considered a waste of time. I had been training hard for 5 years and was 25 years old at the time. My results were phenomenal. I gained 25 pounds (of course lost a lot of that weight when I went off) and my lifts went through the roof. My bench went up over 75 pounds and all of my other lifts were off the chart as well. I kept a lot of the strength gains, especially in my back. I did not cycle for many years after that because the PCT knowledge was so poor back then I wasn’t willing to take the drop in my sex drive, which from my above referenced cycle I am sure you can understand with only HCG for PCT. I wonder though if the accepted dosages for a first cycle by today’s standards are higher than necessary for the average recreational guy. A lot of great physiques came out of that era, men that the average AAS user would kill to look like.

dr_skier is offline Associate Member
    If only they had pct back then.....

leansauce is offline Associate Member
    i think you pretty much said it youself man, lack of pct equalled less ability to take the amounts we take today, but now that we have pct knowledge their really is not any greater amount of sides when taking 500mg test a week so we do it, only makes sense, since the gains are phenominally greater

Eddie8 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leansauce
    i think you pretty much said it youself man, lack of pct equalled less ability to take the amounts we take today, but now that we have pct knowledge their really is not any greater amount of sides when taking 500mg test a week so we do it, only makes sense, since the gains are phenominally greater
    Not sure I am with you on this one. 200 of test will shut you down just as much as 500, same with deca . PCT doesn’t counteract the sides while on cycle but I think I know what you are saying in that we now know how to use HCG better and we have anti e's to help while on cycle. I still don’t see a lot of guys walking around that look like Arnold or Zane in my gym even though we are all on higher doses. I guess that they couldn’t have taken higher doses or they all would have had gyno.

Darkness is offline Member
    Guys like Arnold or Zane were as common back then as Ronnie and Jay are today, so what you're saying makes very little sense because guys like that are HARDCORE professional lifters, not recreational like 99% of us here that have normal jobs and have to squeaze the workout in between.

leansauce is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie8
    Not sure I am with you on this one. 200 of test will shut you down just as much as 500, same with deca. PCT doesn’t counteract the sides while on cycle but I think I know what you are saying in that we now know how to use HCG better and we have anti e's to help while on cycle. I still don’t see a lot of guys walking around that look like Arnold or Zane in my gym even though we are all on higher doses. I guess that they couldn’t have taken higher doses or they all would have had gyno.
    yea i know that you will be shutdown off of 200 same as 500 that is my point we now have ways to get your natty test come back quicker and of course i was also implying arimidex letro nolva proviron bromo etc.. while on cycle to also kill those sides allowing us to take larger doses a nominal amount of less risk for unwanted effects

Testostack is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkness
    Guys like Arnold or Zane were as common back then as Ronnie and Jay are today, so what you're saying makes very little sense because guys like that are HARDCORE professional lifters, not recreational like 99% of us here that have normal jobs and have to squeaze the workout in between.

You're damn right, but i think what he means is that the more years pass, the more guys like Coleman take bigger does (and not necessarly a reason for doing the same as Amateur like us).......

shortie is offline AR Biggerologist
    Well, I don't know what BBers they interviewed from the late 70's early 80's, but from what I have seen,read, and heard doses back then in many cases were outrageous. This being due mainly to the wide availability of the items we have so much trouble finding today. Have heard many times that doses of Test cyp were run by many in the 1 gram/day range. This seems extreme to me, but when getting gear was more like ordering a pizza than the espionage affair it is today it only makes sense that they would use more.

Thread Information