caveman13 is offline Junior Member

Angry What is wrong with me?

ok this is an easy question, why can i not get any bigger/stronger?

I am 6"0, 185lbs. Max bench is 275

i have been lifting for 4 years non stop, eating like crazy, taking supplements, drinking protein shakes, 2 a day at 75grams each.

i recently got on a test cyp only cycle at 400mg/week for 12 weeks and am on week 10

my workout consists of:
    monday - flat bench 4 sets of 8, 6, 4, 2
    incline 3 sets of 8
    decline 3 sets of 8
    cable crossovers 3 sets of 8, flat butterflies at 3 sets of 8

Tuesday - leg press - 4 sets of 8, other leg machines for 3 sets of 8 and foreamrs after legs are done

wednesday - 5 exercises back and 3 exercises abs, all sets of 8

thursday - 5 exercises of shoulders for sets of 8
    friday - 4 exercises of tris sets of 8, 4 exercises of bis for 3 sets of 8

is there something wrong with my workout? plese someone give me some suggestions. Yes i put on 15 lbs and got a little stronger while on my test cycle, but my one buddy has put on 30 lbs and got a lot stronger than me. Whats wrong????!?!?!!?!

longhorn814 is offline Anabolic Member
    diet. You say you eat like crazy, but how many calories a day do you consume? How many of those are from protein, fat, and carbs? When most people say they cant gain weight more often than not it comes down to diet.

www.fitday.com will allow you to break down and keep track of daily food consumption

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    I bet you if you broke down what you eat in a typical day it's no where what you think it would be to grow.

Also, I see no squats, dead lifts....... these types of lifts are best to help promote growth and strength

Another thing some body parts looks as though they might be over trained like shoulders....... can't tell becaus eyou didn't put down total sets.

i also sleep 8 hours a day. why should it matter if i eat fat or not? if i just eat a lot, shouldnt that cover it even if i gain a little fat?

candyman md is offline Junior Member
    Eat then eat and eat again. When on, eat twice as much, work out twice as hard or you are just wasting your money. You have to get your body used to consuming alot of calories. Just my thoughts!

Quote Originally Posted by caveman13
    i also sleep 8 hours a day. why should it matter if i eat fat or not? if i just eat a lot, shouldnt that cover it even if i gain a little fat?

You need to research more about nutrition....... certain fats are great and help promote muscle growth but you also need carbs, protein.........

wolfyEVH is offline Anabolic Member
    i'm gonna guess diet and overtraining like these guys say......

16 sets of chest? 12 sets of bis?? not to mention you work out 5 days in a row which i am not a big fan of. if you're only gonna have 2 rest days, dont make them next to each other.....make your rest days wednesday and saturday. (ie days 3 and 6). I would personally rest day 3, 6, and 7, but thats me.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfyEVH
    i'm gonna guess diet and overtraining like these guys say......

16 sets of chest? 12 sets of bis?? not to mention you work out 5 days in a row which i am not a big fan of. if you're only gonna have 2 rest days, dont make them next to each other.....make your rest days wednesday and saturday. (ie days 3 and 6). I would personally rest day 3, 6, and 7, but thats me.
    I have been training 5 days on 2 days off for years........... I don't think that's the problem at all

But you're right way too many sets

if i put those rest days in there, im gonna be in the gym for like 2 hours a day? whats a good combination to lift on the same days, like back and bis? chest and tris? legs and abs?

if i put those rest days in there, im gonna be in the gym for like 2 hours a day? whats a good combination to lift on the same days, like back and bis? chest and tris? legs and abs?
    how would you be there for 2 hours a day?? hour tops bro....

Day 1: Chest
    Day 2: Legs
    Day 3: OFF
    Day 4: Shoulders/tris
    Day 5: Back Bi's
    Day 6: OFF
    Day 7: OFF or Repeat

this is what i personally follow.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMudMan
    I have been training 5 days on 2 days off for years........... I don't think that's the problem at all

But you're right way too many sets
    its just my personal preference to avoid 5 days straight....can be bery taxing on the CNS.

but yeah, everyone is different. just gotta find whats right for you

longhorn814 is offline Anabolic Member

Read this

UNoffical "How to Bulk" thread and sample diet...

there is also a difference between good fat and bad fats

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMudMan
    I bet you if you broke down what you eat in a typical day it's no where what you think it would be to grow.

Also, I see no squats, dead lifts....... these types of lifts are best to help promote growth and strength
    Another thing some body parts looks as though they might be over trained like shoulders....... can't tell becaus eyou didn't put down total sets.
    exactly

Everyone here is making sense. Listen to them. 5 days in a row is nuts. You may be a classic hard gainer. Maybe if you saw more sample splits it would help you out, here's mine:
    M Chest/Triceps
    T 30 min cardio/Abs
    W Shoulders am/Legs pm
    Th off (cardio if prepping for show)
    F Back/Biceps
    S 30 min cardio/Abs
    S off
    3 lifting days only. And I get all the big movements in, bench, squats, deadlifts, etc. Less is more. Good luck.

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    ok this is an easy question, why can i not get any bigger/stronger?

I am 6"0, 185lbs. Max bench is 275

i have been lifting for 4 years non stop, eating like crazy, taking supplements, drinking protein shakes, 2 a day at 75grams each.

i recently got on a test cyp only cycle at 400mg/week for 12 weeks and am on week 10

my workout consists of:
    monday - flat bench 4 sets of 8, 6, 4, 2
    incline 3 sets of 8
    decline 3 sets of 8
    cable crossovers 3 sets of 8, flat butterflies at 3 sets of 8

Tuesday - leg press - 4 sets of 8, other leg machines for 3 sets of 8 and foreamrs after legs are done

wednesday - 5 exercises back and 3 exercises abs, all sets of 8

thursday - 5 exercises of shoulders for sets of 8
    friday - 4 exercises of tris sets of 8, 4 exercises of bis for 3 sets of 8

is there something wrong with my workout? plese someone give me some suggestions. Yes i put on 15 lbs and got a little stronger while on my test cycle, but my one buddy has put on 30 lbs and got a lot stronger than me. Whats wrong????!?!?!!?!
    15lbs is a great gain. 30lbs is very extreme.

Pinnacle is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~ Cocky motherF*cker!
    Quote Originally Posted by NYC BIG MIKE
    Everyone here is making sense. Listen to them. 5 days in a row is nuts. You may be a classic hard gainer. Maybe if you saw more sample splits it would help you out, here's mine:
    M Chest/Triceps
    T 30 min cardio/Abs
    W Shoulders am/Legs pm
    Th off (cardio if prepping for show)
    F Back/Biceps
    S 30 min cardio/Abs
    S off
    3 lifting days only. And I get all the big movements in, bench, squats, deadlifts, etc. Less is more. Good luck.
    I agree!My split is very similar to yours.I train AM/PM though.Large muscle group(chest) AM
    PM small Group(Tris)

~Pinnacle~

thanks for all the help, i am definately a hard gainer, but i was also thinking about doing sets with higher reps? maybe 12-15? does that help cut or bulk or which?

thanks for all the help, i am definately a hard gainer, but i was also thinking about doing sets with higher reps? maybe 12-15? does that help cut or bulk or which?
    no higher than 6-8 for mass IMO. I do 4-6 reps. I am however following swolecats leg routine which is high reps for leg mass (because of the muscle fiberes in the legs)

what about when cutting, how many reps?

chest6 is offline Banned
    id say get in the diet forum..thats your best friend right now.

Caveman,
    A muscle has both slow twitch and fast twitch fibers. Slow twitch for endurance, fast twitch for speed. You need to hit all the fibers to truly hit the muscle group. Try something like a 12, 10, 8 and 6 rep set for each big movement and then finish off with something a wee bit lighter than the 12 rep weight to "flush it out".

Igifuno is offline AR's Italian Tonic
    Blog Entries
    how's your intensity? 2 hours is a bit too long, maybe you need to shorten the workouts and gain more intensity?

workouts are as intense as possible, 2 hours is an over estimate, but i do like this workout
    Day 1: Chest
    Day 2: Legs
    Day 3: OFF
    Day 4: Shoulders/tris
    Day 5: Back Bi's
    Day 6: OFF
    Day 7: OFF or Repeat

what do youguys that can bench a lot do for chest? i do flat, incline, decline, with the bar... i was just wondering what the stronger guys do?

Ironmanjay is offline Associate Member
    All of what everybody is saying is good but there is another factor. GENETICS

Caveman, it's not about what strong guys can do, it's about what is a good routine that will incorporate all the right angles. Methodology is important too. I'm in the 500+ bench club, but who cares? I'll give you and interesting angle though.......
    Chest is relatively easy to work. If you do an incline movement, a flat movement and a rotation movement (fly or pec dec or cable crossovers) you are basically good to go. Declines are over rated. EMG's (electromyograms) are basically electrodes hooked up to muscle fibers and they show that you don't get any more than you do on flat. Having said that, I would say would basically rotate your incline and flat movement between open and closed kinetic movements. This basically means in a sample workout do (for example) flat bench with the bar (closed kinetec, 2 hands pushing one lever,the bar), then incline dumbells (open kinetic, 2 hands workiing indepenent of one another, dumbells) and then finish off with your rotation movement, like say cable crossovers. Next time reverse it and do flat dumbells(open kinetic) and do incline bench (closed kinetic) and maybe do some dumbells flys or pec dec to finish. You are now done with chest. Go home. Keep it simple. Good luck.
    Last edited by NYC BIG MIKE; 11-16-2005 at 05:39 AM.

dragon69 is offline Member
    I am also in the 500+ bench club.
    I think that your form may be bad, but I also suspect that your pecs are VERY tight. Try long slow stretches for (2+ minutes each) ED for a few weeks and see what happens then.
    Tightness in the pecs will prevent strength increases in bench, experienced it myself.

thanks a lot guys, i will try what nyc big mike and dragon69 said and see what happens. i am going to start taking off wednesdays too.

also though, my arms seem obviously smaller in proportion to the rest of my body. do you think that i was over working them?

karln is offline Associate Member
    i gained 10 lbs iam in week 7 of test enanth so dont cry iam in the same boat....

Jray1der is offline Associate Member
    caveman, check your pm

Jray1der is offline Associate Member
    Training Cycle: One day training, one day rest (All workouts done with 100% effort. Goal is to rep 90% of your 1 rep max 6-8 times.
    Abs: Days 2 and 6
    Cardio: Days 2, 4, and 6, 30-60minutes

(One day on, one day off)
    Day 1: Chest, biceps
    Bench presses 3 sets 6- 8 reps
    Incline bench presses 2 sets 6- 8 reps
    Dips with added weights 2 sets 8-10 reps
    Barbell curls 3 sets 6-10 reps
    Dumbell curls 2 sets 6-10 reps

Day 3: Thighs
    Squats 3 sets 6-10 reps
    Leg presses 2 sets 8-10 reps
    Leg curls 2 sets 8-10 reps
    Leg Extensions 2 sets 8-10 reps

Day 5: Shoulder, triceps
    Presses behind neck 3 sets 6- 8 reps
    Upright row 2 sets 8-10 reps
    Side laterals 2 sets 8-10 reps
    Lying triceps presses 3 sets 6-10 reps
    Triceps pulley pushdown 2 sets 8-10 reps

Day 7: Back. calves
    Chins with added weight 3 sets 8-10 reps
    Lat pull 2 sets 8-10 reps
    Barbell bent-over row 2 sets 6-10 reps
    Seated cable row 2 sets 6-10 reps
    Standing calf raise 3 sets 8-12 reps
    Seated calf raise 2 sets 8-12 reps

Any fine tuning you may want to do, go for it. Good Luck!

One,
    Jray

karln is offline Associate Member
    i need help to gain i gained some weight the first week i injected havent gained anything since that..... Last time i did cycle my gains started week 8 but thats with deca and test.... so i think test alone should kick in faster..... iam on week 7 gained 8.8 pounds onlyu

Thread Information