operationgetbig is offline Senior Member

soy products and estrogen related sides

i heard on that excessive soy products can lead to estrogen related sides one of which is gyno. anyone ever hear this too? the reason i ask is cause i've seen soy protein powders at stores and wonder if anyone who uses them sees any such sides

lil swoll is offline Associate Member
    ive heard the same thing to but i dont got any info to back it up

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    Soy products do contain phytoestrogens. Some doctors direct post-menopausal women to eat alot of soy and if the situation doesn't improve then move onto HRT. I would say the effect is very minimal especially in the male body however. Just dont use soy as your central protein supplement.

magic32 is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by operationgetbig
    i heard on that excessive soy products can lead to estrogen related sides one of which is gyno. anyone ever hear this too? the reason i ask is cause i've seen soy protein powders at stores and wonder if anyone who uses them sees any such sides
    Much of the research to date has examined dietary soy in the form of whole foods such as tofu, "soymilk," or as soy protein added to foods, and the public health community mostly concurs that these whole foods can be worthwhile additions to a healthy diet. The recently raised concerns, however, focus on specific components of soy, such as the soy isoflavones daidzein and genistein, not the whole food or intact soy protein. Obviously concentrated soy protein shakes would fall into the former category.

The problem, researchers say, is that isoflavones are phytoestrogens (a weak form of estrogen) that could have a drug-like effect in the body. This may be pronounced in postmenopausal women, and some studies suggest that high isoflavone levels might increase the risk of cancer, particularly breast cancer. Research data, however, are far from conclusive, and some studies show just the opposite--that under some conditions, soy may help prevent breast cancer. It is this scientific conundrum, where evidence simultaneously points to benefits and possible risks, that is causing some researchers to urge caution. But as long as you're not on a high soy protein only SUPPLEMENT diet, it wouldn't effect you at all. And certainly not the extreme of causing gyno.

M.

magic32 is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Man Mike, beat me again!
    But I wanted to give him some background.
    Good concise post Mike.

M.

Thread Information