Thread: Balding

pearljam is offline Junior Member

Balding

ok i know that u get the gene for alopecia from your mother and everyone on my moms side has hair including my grandpa and her brother, except my dad is bald and i would like to know if there is a chance when taking exogenous testosterone that i could go bald eventho the gene is recessive according to genetics

pearljam is offline Junior Member
    ^^^^

cmax is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pearljam
    ok i know that u get the gene for alopecia from your mother and everyone on my moms side has hair including my grandpa and her brother, except my dad is bald and i would like to know if there is a chance when taking exogenous testosterone that i could go bald eventho the gene is recessive according to genetics
    That is NOT true.

The story that male pattern baldness is caused by the alopecia gene from your mother is an outdated old wives tale. Doctor's believed this like 50 years ago but now know they that this is not true.

Male Pattern Baldness is a DOMINANT CHARACTERISTIC meaning that you can get the gene from EITHER your mother OR your father.

That is why male pattern baldness is more common now then it was 30 years ago. It will be even more common in the next generation 30 years from now.

The male pattern baldness gene can skip generations, and is utterly random in terms of which siblings it will affect; it is quite common for a man to keep a full head of hair while his brother begins experiencing severe thinning in his early twenties.

There are two factors causing male pattern baldness:

(1) The presence of DHT receptors on your hair folicles (usually occuring on the vertex or the hairline). These absence or the presence of these receptors are determined solely by genetics. These receptors make your hair folicles receptive to DHT and cause your hair to thin and fall out when DHT is present. If you do not have these receptors then DHT will not cause your hair to fall out.

(2) The prescence of DHT. This can be blocked or reduced by using propecia or something similar.

If you want to know more go to www.bosley.com and get a free over the phone consultation with a hair expert who can tell you everything about genetics' role in hairloss.
    Last edited by cmax; 12-08-2005 at 09:26 PM.

topvega is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmax
    That is NOT true.

The story that male pattern baldness is caused by the alopecia gene from your mother is an outdated old wives tale. Doctor's believed this like 50 years ago but now know they that this is not true.

Male Pattern Baldness is a DOMINANT CHARACTERISTIC meaning that you can get the gene from EITHER your mother OR your father.

That is why male pattern baldness is more common now then it was 30 years ago. It will be even more common in the next generation 30 years from now.

The male pattern baldness gene can skip generations, and is utterly random in terms of which siblings it will affect; it is quite common for a man to keep a full head of hair while his brother begins experiencing severe thinning in his early twenties.

There are two factors causing male pattern baldness:

(1) The presence of DHT receptors on your hair folicles (usually occuring on the vertex or the hairline). These absence or the presence of these receptors are determined solely by genetics. These receptors make your hair folicles receptive to DHT and cause your hair to thin and fall out when DHT is present. If you do not have these receptors then DHT will not cause your hair to fall out.

(2) The prescence of DHT. This can be blocked or reduced by using propecia or something similar.

If you want to know more go to www.bosley.com and get a free over the phone consultation with a hair expert who can tell you everything about genetics' role in hairloss.

I agree 100% with you... My grandfather on my moms side died in his 80's with a full head of hair... I am trying to make it into my 40's with some hair left....

Igifuno is offline AR's Italian Tonic
    Blog Entries
    good post, cmax. I knew hair genetics stemmed from your mothers side of your family, but this put some good scientifc backing to it.

Anabolic CEO is offline Senior Member
    Ok if you get it from your Mother, that means you get it from your mothers side of the family. If you get it from your father, that means you get it from your fathers side of the family, right? So why would that old wise tail be outdated? It takes a male and a female to make one person, and that one person has characteristics of both in them. I look at it like this, if you are going bald it is because your mother or fathers side is bald. I think poeple think that steroids can make a person bald no matter who you are, not true, look at Jay Cutler. Good genes or lots of Avodart and HGH........LMAO.

Thread Information