Mike Dura is offline Senior Member

My Lament on current gym culture

First, I'm a 36 year old newbie (to this or any forum) so I'd like to say hello to everyone. I'm assuming that many of you are younger than myself so I'd like to share some recollections of the good ole' days and than bitch a little.

Although I've only been training the last three years (I've fallen back in love with the lifestyle), I originally started back in 86' at a basement gym called "South Shore Fitness" in Oakdale, NY. Unlike the gyms of today, it seemed that 75% of the people down there were serious bodybuilders. Steroids were considered supplements and squat racks abounded (there were 7 and this place wasn't all that big). On top of that, this gym had all the appropriate calf machines (standing, donkey, seated). There was no gym ettiquette that frowned upon the growls and grunts that came from a man straining under the leg press to clear a half ton and there was plenty of pranksterish, playful stuff going on between the members. It seemed like a boys club and it was fun and the outside world (e.g., politics) never intruded on our little world. These were golden times! I was naive to think they would never end.

You'll never see a gym like that these days. I've been everywhere just to find a gym that has the proper calf equiptement. I found only one but the weight stack was inadequate. And you're looked at like you're a freak if you should let out some unseamly sound in the squat rack. I'm not trying to draw attention to myself but I can't find a way to follow ettiquet in "the whole" with 405 on my back and I'm starting not to care anymore anyway.

I joined Bally's (what a mistake that was) and the place is a meat market. Chicks (and gays) are looking to hook up and it's distracting. I was taking a shower recently and this gay dude comes in and I catch him totally checking out my bipi. How fun is that? Damn. I also caught two gays mutually masterbating in the locker room. Pretty screwed up stuff you have to deal with these days. Bally's......wow.

With AAS's, back in the 80's, I never really heard about fakes. If someone was going to sell you stuff, you knew it was the real McCoy. I can't find any sources either so I'm just looking into current legal prohormones that are somehow sliding under the scanner. I know I'm just bitching and moaning here but damn, it's ashame that things have changed so much.

What kills me the most is this current administration and the medias treatment on AAS. It seems like a bunch of ignorance, fear, and propoganda. It's not unlike how marijuanna (or reefer) was stigmatized back in the first quarter of the century because it was associated with minorities who threatened to steal our white daughters. Clearly it doesn't get a fair rap and the one's who suffer are those who just love the lifestyle. Furthermore, who are these people anyway to "moralize" on AAS? This has to be the most corrupt, unconstitutional, backward bunch of mutha-####'s
    ever.

Im C murda is offline Junior Member
    I couldnt agree with you more. The media plays on the issues that home home the hardest like roid rage , shrunken testicles and shit like that. they tell half truths and whole lies. The good side of anabolic steroids has never been shown through the media. Its funny to me how u can buy drugs that will kill you on every street corner but AAS are considered the worst thing ever. its a ****ed up society we live in today, i kid you not. nice post

BUDGIE is offline Associate Member
    welcome Mike Dura. hope u r enjoying this forum theres plenty to learn here. some of these guys are well clued up and are always willing 2 share there experences and knowledge. by the way ,good status report and i do agree that a lot of gyms are what u could call mainstreaming. but tucked away in some corner of town u will find one more tuned to yourself. once again welcome. BUDGIE

timtim is offline Member
    hardcore gyms are abundant in nj and ny, never had a problem finding them.

Mike Dura is offline Senior Member
    Oh yeah? What about suffolk county LI?

Thread Information