powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~

DHTs influence on HTPA?

We all should be familiar for the important role estrogen plays at downregulating the HPT axis. And with SERMs or AIs it is possible to increase endogenous test production. But, the body is a very complex machine and has many different feedback loops, with estrogen being only one of them (tho quite significant).

Some claim there is also a little known androgen induced HPTA shutdown. I would like some more info about this if you got it.

Finally, my question is this: If one takes finasteride or dutasteride (or some other 5alpha reductase inhibitor) during a testosterone cycle will this result in a decrease in HPTA shutdown? So if you took an AI and a DHT blocker how much shutdown would still occur?

BajanBastard is offline VET Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by powerliftmike
    We all should be familiar for the important role estrogen plays at downregulating the HPT axis. And with SERMs or AIs it is possible to increase endogenous test production. But, the body is a very complex machine and has many different feedback loops, with estrogen being only one of them (tho quite significant).

Some claim there is also a little known androgen induced HPTA shutdown. I would like some more info about this if you got it.
    I don't know about that. Androgens can and will 'shut down' gonadotropins not only estrogen. AIs increase free test levels via lowered estrogen, higher LH and FSH and decreased SHBG.

Finally, my question is this: If one takes finasteride or dutasteride (or some other 5alpha reductase inhibitor) during a testosterone cycle will this result in a decrease in HPTA shutdown? So if you took an AI and a DHT blocker how much shutdown would still occur?[/QUOTE]IMO you'll still get shut down. The body will still try to adjust to the supraphysiologic testosterone levels . Not necessarily the DHT.

Seattle Junk is offline Anabolic Member
    DHT is converted from testosterone . It's main function is the development of male sexual characteristics> deepening of the voice, male sexual organ development, body hair, male fat distribution, sweat glands, male pattern baldness, etc. I believe the HPTA is regualted from the begining with LH and FSH. That signal tells the gonads to produce more testosterone and maintain a healthy sexual function. DHT is a byproduct of test, not the other way around.

Yes, the hypothamulus releases stimulating hormones (GnRH) to the pituitary which in turn releases LH and FSH. These hormones signal the ledig cells in the testicles to increase testosterone function. The test (and all its derivatives) makes its way to the blood stream where it comes into contact with the hypthalamus and pituitary again. So, a derivative of test, like estrogen, will raise blood estrogen levels and the hypothalamus will see this and reduce GnRH production which in turn reduces LH and FSH which then again reduces test production.

My question is what does the hypothalamus respond to (or "look at") to reduce GnRH levels? Estrogen for sure. What about DHT? Does it look directly at testosterone ?

bump

N4cer is offline Member
    Well, winstrol and anavar cause suppression. They're DHT-based and have no estrogen conversion.

I know that there are other means of negative feeback besides estrogen, that is not the question. I am asking if taking 5alpha-reductase inhibitors will further reduce suppression if taking with an AI?

N4cer is offline Member
    I can't see that it would to any significant degree.

Here ya go PLM.

This is copy and pasted from the pofiles section, Proviron . Proviron is basically a form of DHT. I think this answers your question?

Now, as if all of this weren’t enough, lets talk about how Proviron affects your HPTA (Hypothalamic-Pituitary-Testicular-Axis)…the thing that regulates the male hormonal system. When a reasonable dose of this stuff is given (100-150mgs/day), it had no depressing effect on low or normal serum FSH and LH levels (6). Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH) and Leutenizing Hormone (LH) are two hormones which send a signal to your testes to produce testosterone. Good news for people considering it for PCT is that it can even raise your LH (10)! Thus, by not suppressing those hormones and maybe even raising some, your normal testosterone levels will remain intact. This points to a novel use for this compound during Post-Cycyle-Therapy for a non-suppressive “bridge” between cycles. In fact, in yet another study, administration of Proviron (basically the same dose as in the last study) produced no changes in steroids, thyroid hormones, gonadotropins nor PRL (Prolactin Levels…you want those to remain low).(8).

Proviron is basically a form of DHT
    Not quite. Proviron and DHT are very different compounds. Provirons chemical structure modifications allow it to do what it does.

Quote Originally Posted by big k.l.g
    Not quite. Proviron and DHT are very different compounds. Provirons chemical structure modifications allow it to do what it does.
    It's a interesting compound. I just started reading about it tonight. Does Proviron cause hairloss?

Not that i know off.

james21 is offline Anabolic Member
    I always thought proviron at a high dose would definately cause some shedding... for me it was the opposite but hey ... everyone is different

Thread Information