magic32 is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer

Gyno from Dutasteride...

Below is a paragraph from Dutasteride.com:
    http://www.dutasteride.com/dutasteride_information.html

Dutasteride side effects are fewer than finasteride side effects and these effects are generally less potent. Possible side effects of dutasteride are generally of a sexual nature and include inpotence, decreased libido, gynecomastia and ejaculation disorders. Shedding may also occur during the initial phases of treatment, however this is a normal reaction.

My question is how would one counter any or all of the listed side effects? Would Nolva combat this, and if so at what dosage & frequency?

Thank you,

M.

Anyone?

Thanks for the info, that's the first I've heard of this.
    In theory Nolva should work on this problem at 10mgs EOD.
    If this is incorrect someone let me know.

Gold

BajanBastard is offline VET Retired
    Nolva might help. 5ar blocking drugs shift the androgen/estrogen ratio in the male body, creating a more estrogen dominant environment. If it were to ever need that drug i would run it with a small dose of test.

bigbadbootydaddy is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magic32
    Below is a paragraph from Dutasteride.com:
    http://www.dutasteride.com/dutasteride_information.html

Dutasteride side effects are fewer than finasteride side effects and these effects are generally less potent. Possible side effects of dutasteride are generally of a sexual nature and include inpotence, decreased libido, gynecomastia and ejaculation disorders. Shedding may also occur during the initial phases of treatment, however this is a normal reaction.

My question is how would one counter any or all of the listed side effects? Would Nolva combat this, and if so at what dosage & frequency?

Thank you,

M.

They probably tested something like 500 males and one got gyno

Smak is offline AR's Midget Beater
    I've been on Finasteride for about 4 months now with 1mg ED. I'm finishing up this last bottle and than i'm going to switch over to Dutasteride. It's been working great and I haven't had any problems with gyno, but maybe it's because i'm on a low dose. 1mg should be enough for hair loss. I'm using it for a little thinning happening in my crown area. It won't help with receding hair lines. Anything more than that is more geared towards prostate therapy.

2 squirts of AR's = 1 mg
    Last edited by Smak; 12-22-2005 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbootydaddy
    They probably tested something like 500 males and one got gyno
    No they definitely state the most common side effects. However, they do define gyno in slightly different way. Specifically it state:

The most common side effects of dutasteride are sexual effects including:

impotence
    decreased libido
    ejaculation disorders
    gynecomastia (breast tenderness)

M.

Quote Originally Posted by Smak
    I've been on Finasteride for about 4 months now with 1mg ED. I'm finishing up this last bottle and than i'm going to switch over to Dutasteride. It's been working great and I haven't had any problems with gyno, but maybe it's because i'm on a low dose. 1mg should be enough for hair loss. I'm using it for a little thinning happening in my crown area. It won't help with receding hair lines. Anything more than that is more geared towards prostate therapy.

2 squirts of AR's = 1 mg
    Thanks Smak, and FYI he site recommends .5mg ED, likely because Duta is stronger than Fina. Did you experience the "SHEDDING" phase, described as evidence of the drug working?

M.

The study results were buried on twice removed linked pages and showed that gyno was present in up to 2.3% of the sample. So I'd go with 10mgs of Nolva maybe once a week unless you notice tenderness or itching.

Gold

Good call Gold. Here are the sides tables:

Summary of Dutasteride Side Effects
    Side Effect Dutasteride (n=2158) Placebo (n=2166)
    Impotence 117(5%) 59 (3%)
    Decreased Libido 74 (3%) 40 (2%)
    Gynecomastia 29(1%) 10 (<1%)
    Ejaculation Disorder 40 (2%) 14 (<1%)

Summary of Long-Term Dutasteride Side Effects
    Side Effect First Year Second Year Total Study
    Dutasteride Placebo Dutasteride Placebo Dutasteride Placebo
    Impotence 130 (6.0%) 65 (3.0%) 29 (1.7%) 21 (1.2%) 158 (7.3%) 86 (4.0%)
    Decreased Libido 80 (3.7%) 41 (1.9%) 11 (0.6%) 6 (0.3%) 91 (4.2%) 46 (2.1%)
    Gynecomastia 28 (1.3%) 11 (0.5%) 23 (1.3%) 5 (0.3%) 50 (2.3%) 16 (0.7%)
    Ejaculation Disorder 40 (1.8%) 15 (0.7%) 9 (0.5%) 2 (0.1%) 48 (2.2%) 17 (0.8%)

M.

Smak is offline AR's Midget Beater
    Quote Originally Posted by magic32
    Thanks Smak, and FYI he site recommends .5mg ED, likely because Duta is stronger than Fina. Did you experience the "SHEDDING" phase, described as evidence of the drug working?

M.
    I had just a little bit of shedding when I started to take it. Nothing shocking though. I can really say it has helped though. My crown area has filled up nicely. I might just be on it the rest of my life or until I realize that I don't give a fuk about my hair. lol.

You're right though with duta. Recommended dose is .5mg ED. For finasteride it's 1mg for hair loss. Hope this helps.

hoopcat528 is offline Associate Member

gyno

I had heard dutateride (and finasteride) can enhance Gyno and I believe it, even though the percentage is small. My understanding is as follows:

1) Dutastride prevents test from converting to DHT
    2) you therefore end up with more free test to convert to estrogen
    3) Since DHT is by itself an anti-estrogen, you naturally can get more gyno.

Some hair loss websites recommend people use arimidex to combat this effect.

alo5603 is offline Member
    first, the shedding is due to the effects of the drug pushing out the old hairs. It happens to most in the initial phase, but then new hair comes in so it ends out good.

as for gyno, it is indeed possible, but rare, i think you would have to be really prone to estrogenic side effects to get it. I have been on avodart for over a year, and the only thing i ever experienced was about 7 months in, i was having impotent problems. Went to my doc, and he switched me to EOD versus ED. I still get the hairloss prevention but it keeps my estrogenic levels in check, with it being less stable in the blood.

And as a side note, do not take more then needed, ie .5mgs, as it does absolutely nothing in adding additional prevention of the conversion of dht, and it will increase sides, mainly libido problems.

alo

GoGetBig is offline New Member
    Interseting read, good info, this is why I love this site, things I would have never even herd of about gyno unless I was on here looking around, thanks

Thread Information