jdog55 is offline Associate Member

steroids do hurt bone mass.

I asked this question on the board a few months back and everyone said I was crazy for thinking steroids lessen bone mass. I found a few studies that back up that.

Osteoporosis can occur within a matter of months. Steroids cause 8 per cent reduction in bone mass after four months (Ann Int Med, November 15, 1993), the equivalent of the effect on your bones of having your ovaries removed. Even low doses of inhaled steroids (400 micrograms per day) reduce bone formation (The Lancet, July 6, 1991).
    Low doses (10-15 mg prednisone) for a year can cause cataracts (Surv Ophthalmol, 1986; 31: 260-2).
    Topical steroids may begin to cause eye damage or raise pressure after two weeks. Extensive visual loss can be caused by a 1 per cent hydrocortisone ointment, which is available OTC (BMJ, August 20-27, 1994).
    Rub-on steroids have caused Cushing's syndrome in children as soon as a month after treatment has begun (Arch Dis Child, 1982; 57: 204-7).
    Inhaled steroids slowth growth in children after six weeks (Acta Ped, 1993; 82: 636-40. See also, The Lancet, December 14, 1991).
    Bilateral cataracts and glaucoma induced by long term use of steroid eye drops

Side effects that may be caused by the long-term use of steroids include cataracts, muscle weakness, avascular necrosis of bone and osteoporosis. These usually do not occur with less than four weeks of treatment.

Avascular necrosis of bone, usually associated with high doses of prednisone over long periods of time, produces hip pain and an abnormal MRI scan. It occurs most often in the hip, but it can also affect the shoulders, knees and other joints. Caught early, the joint can be saved by "decompression" by an orthopedic surgeon. Once full developed, Avascular necrosis is painful and often requires surgical joint replacement for pain relief.

Steroids reduce calcium absorption through the gastrointestinal tract which may result in osteoporosis, or thinning of the bones. Osteoporosis can lead to bone fractures, especially compression fractures of the vertebrae, causing severe back pain. Calcium, at least 1500 mg of the calcium carbonate form or equivalent, should be taken. There are new medications (Fosamax in particular) that also may help to prevent osteoporosis.

. there are more if you do a search.

That said i'll be starting anither cycle jan 1st

Jdog55

they are talking about both anabolic and inhaled steroids but steroids are steroids.

AnabolicBoy1981 is offline Anabolic Member
    Rrrrrrg! Prednisone and cortisone have NOTHING to do with juice!

Chemistry lesson!

Steroids are technically any molecule derived from cholesterol. Testosterone , estrogen, cortisol and adrenelin are all steroid hormones because they are made from cholesterol. That is ALL they share in common. The latter two are adrenal hormones, and the synthetic versions of both are not used to get huge. Cortisone(cortisol) isused to tread inflammed joints and bronchial passage ways. Synthetic adrenelin is used in ER's and such for emergeny situations and to speed up toxin excretion by the body, and also used in dental novacain preperations.
    These drugs are "Steroids" but they are not "anabolic " therefore, noone here is interested in them. Testosterone and its derivatives are what we care about here.Cortisones and androgens have completely different actions in the body.
    On the flip side, growth hormone and insulin are "anabolic" hormones, but not "steroids" because they are not synthesiszed from cholesterol. They are peptide homones cuz they are composed of amino acid strands.

This is so basic, you gotta know this.

And "steroids are steroids"? Please, being part of this board is about being more enlightened than the rest of the population on the subject of steroids.
    Last edited by AnabolicBoy1981; 12-24-2005 at 05:28 PM.

Hard Head is offline Member
    Anabolic Steriods = Gear
    Corticosteroids = Prednisone, hydrocortisone, etc. = NOT GEAR!

AnabolicBoy1981 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Head
    Anabolic Steriods = Gear
    word!

MASTER is offline "I Own You"
    yeh sorry bro but those are the wrong sort of roids, those are roids to treat asthma and the like.

j martini is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdog55
    they are talking about both anabolic and inhaled steroids but steroids are steroids.
    That is a very ignorant comment

Steroids are not steroids they come in different forms a lot of the steroids you listed are actually catabolic so nobody here sure uses them, even the birth control pill is a steroid .

Anabolic steroids actually have a positive effect on bone mass and are often used in the treatment of osteoporosis.

BajanBastard is offline VET Retired
    Dude you got OWNED!

They are called ANABOLIC steroids for a reason. Low dose d-bol given to post menopauseal women improved bone mass. Nandrolone does the same. Wait anavar too!

When was the last time you saw someone asking about their prednisone cycle?

ok, got owned

BajanBastard is offline VET Retired
    ok, got owned
    Don't feel bad man. Good to see you're doing some research into the drugs you're injecting into your body. Many can't say that. Next time run any ideas past a friend before posting

chest6 is offline Banned
    yup, first thing I noticed. We aren't talking anabolic steroids here.

Bryan2 is offline Supplement Guru
    actually non aromatasing steroids do cause slight changes in bone density but nothing major for 95% of the population to be of a concern

Osteoporosis can occur within a matter of months. Steroids cause 8 per cent reduction in bone mass after four months (Ann Int Med, November 15, 1993), the equivalent of the effect on your bones of having your ovaries removed.
    Jdog55

Guess men don't have to worry about that one since we don't have ovaries!

musclehead1 is offline Member
    I asked this question on the board a few months back and everyone said I was crazy for thinking steroids lessen bone mass. I found a few studies that back up that.

Osteoporosis can occur within a matter of months. Steroids cause 8 per cent reduction in bone mass after four months (Ann Int Med, November 15, 1993), the equivalent of the effect on your bones of having your ovaries removed. Even low doses of inhaled steroids (400 micrograms per day) reduce bone formation (The Lancet, July 6, 1991).
    Low doses (10-15 mg prednisone) for a year can cause cataracts (Surv Ophthalmol, 1986; 31: 260-2).
    Topical steroids may begin to cause eye damage or raise pressure after two weeks. Extensive visual loss can be caused by a 1 per cent hydrocortisone ointment, which is available OTC (BMJ, August 20-27, 1994).
    Rub-on steroids have caused Cushing's syndrome in children as soon as a month after treatment has begun (Arch Dis Child, 1982; 57: 204-7).
    Inhaled steroids slowth growth in children after six weeks (Acta Ped, 1993; 82: 636-40. See also, The Lancet, December 14, 1991).
    Bilateral cataracts and glaucoma induced by long term use of steroid eye drops

Side effects that may be caused by the long-term use of steroids include cataracts, muscle weakness, avascular necrosis of bone and osteoporosis. These usually do not occur with less than four weeks of treatment.

Avascular necrosis of bone, usually associated with high doses of prednisone over long periods of time, produces hip pain and an abnormal MRI scan. It occurs most often in the hip, but it can also affect the shoulders, knees and other joints. Caught early, the joint can be saved by "decompression" by an orthopedic surgeon. Once full developed, Avascular necrosis is painful and often requires surgical joint replacement for pain relief.

Steroids reduce calcium absorption through the gastrointestinal tract which may result in osteoporosis, or thinning of the bones. Osteoporosis can lead to bone fractures, especially compression fractures of the vertebrae, causing severe back pain. Calcium, at least 1500 mg of the calcium carbonate form or equivalent, should be taken. There are new medications (Fosamax in particular) that also may help to prevent osteoporosis.

. there are more if you do a search.

That said i'll be starting anither cycle jan 1st

Jdog55
    my GI was telling me that the theoretical dose of pred. to actually cause you to break bones is 7grams...but he has told me that he has seen people break hips while walking down a street due to long term prednisone...i took pred for about 4-5 years ranging my doses from high to low (on it right now) and let me tell you its nothing like gear stay away from the shit at all costs.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Head
    Anabolic Steriods = Gear
    Exactly!

Do not confuse cortico-steroids with Anabolic Steroids - they basically have opposing responses...

And Prednisone WILL NOT get you jacked! It will help with your joints as a powerful anit-inflamatory, but you should always ask for non-steroidal alternatives before getting prescribed corticosteroids... its basically dumping cortisol into your body. I had to take Prednisone for an anaphylactic shock once - joints were all better, but training was bumped back about a year or so!

Thread Information