Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BASK8KACE is offline Anabolic Member

Glute shots (useful information)

Note: At the time this post was written, UPJOHN was the manufacturer of Depo-testosterone. PHARMACIA, a division of PFIZER is now the manufacturer of Depo-testosterone.

This is true and good information for anyone who has taken painful shots in the glutes:

I had my doctor's assistant show me exactly where to inject my test AND I called Upjohn's help line and spoke to one of their help line nurses. (UPJOHN is the manufacturer of Depo-testosterone aka Cyp). Here's what both have told and shown me, and it works:

Note: At the time this post was written (year 2002), UPJOHN was the manufacturer of Depo-testosterone. PHARMACIA, a division of PFIZER, is now the manufacturer of Depo-testosterone.

Before I tell you this, let me tell you that the pics on spotinjection.com for glutes are lower on the butt than they need to be and may have you hit a vein and/or a nerve (there's a huge nerve line running through your butt--you DON'T want to hit this).

The butt's devided: Gluteus Medius and Gluteus Maximus. For intramuscular medications (such as test and other AS), a shot in the Gluteus Medius is JUST AS EFFECTIVE as in the Gluteus Maximus (my doctor's office and the Upjohn nurse both verified this).

The pic on spotinjections.com is in the Glueteus Maximus (and this area hurts like a bitch anywhere from a few hours to a day after the shot). On the other hand, a shot in the Gluteus Medius is practically painless going in and has no after-shock of pain. NOTE: Injections into the Gluteus Medius are also known as Ventrogluteal intramuscular injections.

Here's how you locate the spot where to shoot:

Put your hand on your waist. The spot to inject is located approximately an inch below the area where your thumb and forfinger makes a V. It's in that area just above the big dimple when you tense up your glutes.

It works like a charm. If you need to know: I'm using 3ml 22 gage needles that are 1.5 inches long. The needle label is written like this:
    3ml 22G 1 1/2 (0.7mm x 40mm).

Stick the needle in at a 45 degree angle or straight in. (I prefer a slight angle).

I hope this helps you.

Disclaimer: I'm not a health professional, I'm just telling you information that seems to have helped me. Please verifiy this info for yourself and use caution, knowing that (again) I am not a health professional.

Edited to add second picture:
    People still seem to be a bit confused about the spot so I've added a picture of a naked butt with a red square around the injection area. Yes, it's a naked butt, but it clearly shows the gluteus medius injection area.

The red and purple portions in the picture below comprise the gluteus medius:
    (Click on thumbnail pictures for larger image)
    Last edited by BASK8KACE; 12-22-2004 at 11:19 AM.

Dizzy is offline Banned
    Damn fine thread. I think most will notice this makes injections much, much easier.

LIFTER is offline New Member
    That seems to be really far to the outside of your glute???????????

viper is offline Member
    the ventrogluteal muscle is an acceptable site for injections..... unfortunately, many people are unfamiliar with the ventrogluteal or hip site and confuse it with the dorsogluteal or buttock site.....the dorsogluteal site is dangerously close to the sciatic nerve and is covered with abundant subcutaneous tissue in many people. its landmarks, especially the outer boundary, are poorly defined. and make it difficult to isolate the correct injection site.....

on the other hand, the ventrogluteal site is relatively free of major nerves and blood vessels, the muscle is large and well defined, and the landmarks are easy to locate..... it is an excellent IM injection site..... simply place the palm of your hand over the greater trochanter (hip joint), index finger over the anterior superior iliac tubercle, and middle finger along the posterior iliac crest..... inject perpendicular into the center of the V formed by the separated fingers. it has been my experience that this site is less painful than other sites....

this is the site most schools will teach as the favorable site for IM injections....good info bask8kace...

rangerdudeleads is offline Senior Member
    that answers mmy question about why it hurts and dont when I inject sometimes. Thanks for the info, itll come in handy for me.

testprop is offline Associate Member
    yea, the pics on spotinjects aint't correct! esp the glute shot like you said

JohnnyB is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    Good info for a first timer to have.

JohnnyB
    P.S. welcome to AR

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm glad to be here--glad the info helps.

ZTEM is offline Associate Member
    thanks bro...im startin to shoot in my glutes next week

XBiker is offline Retired Vet
    Originally posted by testprop
    yea, the pics on spotinjects aint't correct! esp the glute shot like you said
    Perhaps you would like to show your ass to the world?

Until then, stuff it.

G-S Guest
    The pic on spotinjections IS correct. As stated, there are 2 correct muscles to inject into. The medius being the higher one, yet smaller. I have shot into both, and location does not help pain one way or the other for me. Pain is pain, and gear is gear, as muscle is muscle. Location of the muscle makes no difference in the pain, for me anyway.

But, nice info otherwise.

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod
    Big bump for BASK8KACE

JERSEY SHORE is offline Associate Member

I agree

The pic on spot inject.com is wrong!!!Too low on the glute needs to be about 2" higher!!

G-S Guest

Re: I agree

Originally posted by JERSEY SHORE
    The pic on spot inject.com is wrong!!!Too low on the glute needs to be about 2" higher!!
    Uh bro, there are 2 different muscles. It IS correct.

bump for novice1 to find.

XBiker is offline Retired Vet
    Originally posted by BASK8KACE
    bump for novice1 to find.
    Looks like you got a cam, why don't you take a pic of your ass and send to me for the site?

Since mine is so wrong.... Which it is not.

Xbiker,

I never said your pics are wrong. The shot is just low on the glutes--which risks hitting the sciatic nerve. There is more than one area to shoot in. I was just letting people know there is a less painful alternative.

The pics on your site are very helpful bud--no flame intended to you.

nymattyk is offline Member
    Originally posted by XBiker

Looks like you got a cam, why don't you take a pic of your ass and send to me for the site?

Since mine is so wrong.... Which it is not.
    not 100% but i think this was directed at jersey. anyway, that is helpful info.....

Medicine Man is offline Associate Member
    i do it the way basket says, never have pain with anything... ill try and get a pic for you all soon enough, that IS is everyone wants to see it!
    MM

Bump for rampage76 to find.

poantrex is offline Junior Member
    What happens if you hit the sciatic nerve, exactly?

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    good post bask8ace!!

footballcat is offline Associate Member
    So true, everytime i do a spot injection shot it hurts, but when i do the other way. No pain, dont even feel the injection.

McBain is offline Member
    Weird, I've never looked at the glute part on spotinjections, I just naturally ahave been shooting where you mentioned lol. Good post bask8

Bump for Rockyb to find.

Ntpadude is offline Anabolic Member
    Yea I been getting help from medical pro with the shots and he's been rotating between glute medias and glute maximus, mostly because I have to rotate sites to avoid scare tissue build up. There is another muscle below the maximus I think and when I was too swollen in the other sites I had to go below the sciatic nerve (I know spelling is shot). I wouldnt recommend the lower area unless you had help from someone knowing where the spots area... there are actually 3 acceptable muscles in the butt cheak area you can hit.

Bump for Gunner9043 to find.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by viper
    the ventrogluteal muscle is an acceptable site for injections..... unfortunately, many people are unfamiliar with the ventrogluteal or hip site and confuse it with the dorsogluteal or buttock site.....the dorsogluteal site is dangerously close to the sciatic nerve and is covered with abundant subcutaneous tissue in many people. its landmarks, especially the outer boundary, are poorly defined. and make it difficult to isolate the correct injection site.....

on the other hand, the ventrogluteal site is relatively free of major nerves and blood vessels, the muscle is large and well defined, and the landmarks are easy to locate..... it is an excellent IM injection site..... simply place the palm of your hand over the greater trochanter (hip joint), index finger over the anterior superior iliac tubercle, and middle finger along the posterior iliac crest..... inject perpendicular into the center of the V formed by the separated fingers. it has been my experience that this site is less painful than other sites....

this is the site most schools will teach as the favorable site for IM injections....good info bask8kace...
    Definitely. This is the best IMO, easy to reach and I rarely even blow through a vein.

Gunner9043 is offline New Member
    BASK8KACE
    VET

Thanks for the bump. I got my gear today and was looking for this site

legend is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by viper

viper can you say that again !!!! wow that is a mouthful ! good read though! thanks for the info, fortunately for me i already knew it and shoot it.
    Last edited by legend; 12-19-2003 at 05:13 PM.

groverman1 is offline Cross Dressing Member
    Thanks for the info and doing the research bro.

mike407 is offline New Member
    Good info on this thread. I'm getting ready for my first shot and would have used the info on spotinjections and it sounds like the spot referenced in this thread is a bit safer. Thanks BASK8KACE!

BTW, why isn't this thread sticky?

edmen2 is offline Anabolic Member
    i asked my nursing fundamentals instructer what happens if u hit the sciatic nerve she just smiled and said pray that u dont. then she said worst case u can blow the nerve if u inject into it and cause permanent paralysis in ur leg. so if something dont feel right dont continue just withdraw and reinject i dont think hitting that nerve would be a good idea. but even know this info i still only shoot my glutes the medius and maximus i havent found the nerve to try the hip (ventrogluteal) which my instructor said is the best site for im injections.

Quote Originally Posted by edmen2
    i asked my nursing fundamentals instructer what happens if u hit the sciatic nerve she just smiled and said pray that u dont. then she said worst case u can blow the nerve if u inject into it and cause permanent paralysis in ur leg. so if something dont feel right dont continue just withdraw and reinject i dont think hitting that nerve would be a good idea. but even know this info i still only shoot my glutes the medius and maximus i havent found the nerve to try the hip (ventrogluteal) which my instructor said is the best site for im injections.
    Ventrogluteal injections are done in the gluteus medius. It is the best site for IM injections. That's what the first post in this thread is about.

There is no difference between ventrogluteal and gluteus medius injections.

Here's another site for gluteal intramuscular injections:

http://www.nursing-standard.co.uk/ar...18n25p3942.pdf

For the glute shot closer to the hip area, how do you know when you've gone deep enough with the needle. I'm using 1.5g and I'm not sure how far to go. Should I feel something that would tell me to stop?

Thanks

anybody?

daWhoady is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike407
    For the glute shot closer to the hip area, how do you know when you've gone deep enough with the needle. I'm using 1.5g and I'm not sure how far to go. Should I feel something that would tell me to stop?

Thanks
    Go all the way

Superhuman is offline Banned
    what does it mean when u keep sayin "bump"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information