ward065 is offline Member

Strange injection the other day?

the other day i was injecting onto my delt (medial, not lateral) and i aspirated the needle 3 times as i always do and the first time no blood came out, but the second and third time there was a drop of blood that entered in the syringe. Since it was not rushing in or anything i decided to go ahead, when i was half-way through with the shot i aspirated it again just to make sure it was clean, but when i aspirated it again (halfway through the shot) a big ugly cloud of red entered the syringe. I dumped out the gear (wasted some money, but that is beside the point here) and did the entire injection again, this time it was perfectly clean without any blood.

A few questions: why did the blood come in like that, and is there anything you guys could suggest so this wouldn't happen again, i'd like to learn from this so it doesn't happen again.....it was quite strange really. But when i pulled the needle out, suprisingly there was no big gush of blood or anything, so i am wondering exactly what happened

Igifuno is offline AR's Italian Tonic
    Blog Entries
    not sure, but i think you did the safe thing. it was most likely blood that was in the muscle which is around the needle when its in your arm. its not uncommon to pick up a little blood if you continuously aspirate like that. why do you do it three times? i'd suggest doing it once and if you're clean, hit the hammer.

i am in a habit of doing it 3 times just to make really sure i am ok. But my real question is i did another aspiration halfway through the inject ( i was feeling a little unsure) and then a big cloud of blood entered, why would this have happened? When this happened, it is when i aborted the shot and started over.

Igifuno is offline AR's Italian Tonic
    Blog Entries
    maybe you were moving the needle around in excess due to your aspirating and it caused blood to flow near the needle, which your syring picked up when you aspirated. Or maybe you hit a vein during the time between your second and third aspiration. again, my suggestion would be to inject, aspirate and plunge, moving the needle around as little as possible while its in you.

so you think just aspirating it once is sufficent, the problem is if i only do it once i can become worried. Of course, if i did it only once in the above case, it would have been clean.

additionally if anyone here knows, i'd be curious to know just how much blood entering the syringe warrants a problem and for a re-injection

Dexta is offline Associate Member
    Do you always have to trash the gear if you get alittle blood into the syringe? Its never happened to me but it would be nice to know in case it happens?

velvetlion is offline Banned
    If I get a tiny drop of blood in the gear, I have still shot it. Not saying that is the most sterile way to do things, but I haven't had a problem with it. I would be curious to see what others do.

You only need to aspirate once. Like a previous poster said, you contiually aspirating and moving the pin probably caused some blood to build up around the needle. Just aspirate once and if it is clean, go ahead and shoot.

pitbull27 is offline Associate Member
    Asparate one time, that is all you need. And then.... hit the hammer!

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pitbull27
    Asparate one time, that is all you need. And then.... hit the hammer!
    true, 3 times is 2, too many.

Bossman is offline Bossman - AR Monitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexta
    Do you always have to trash the gear if you get alittle blood into the syringe? Its never happened to me but it would be nice to know in case it happens?
    No, its your own blood in a sterile evironment. It doesnt hurt to reinject your own blood.

C_Bino is offline $BAM-7246~AR-Hall of Famer
    Ok well the first thing I dont understand is what you mean by "medial, not lateral." Secondly, like others have all said, aspirating three times is jus pointless. If you aspirate once and there is no blood why would u possibly think you need to do it again? Just dont worry so much about it, if you are stressing ur muscles wont be realxed and ur injection will go even worse.

-Bino

bino, i mean my medial deltoid (closer to my chest and neck) not my lateral deltoid (the outer muscle in the shoulder)

I think that is good advice to not aspirate it so much, it seems that this can do more harm than good. Not only that, my shoulder hurt a lot the next day due to the fact i jabbed it twice, only recently does it feel back to normal!

grimnlock is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ward065
    I think that is good advice to not aspirate it so much, it seems that this can do more harm than good. Not only that, my shoulder hurt a lot the next day due to the fact i jabbed it twice, only recently does it feel back to normal!
    Exactly!!!

Spyder is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ward065
    the other day i was injecting onto my delt (medial, not lateral) and i aspirated the needle 3 times as i always do and the first time no blood came out, but the second and third time there was a drop of blood that entered in the syringe. Since it was not rushing in or anything i decided to go ahead, when i was half-way through with the shot i aspirated it again just to make sure it was clean, but when i aspirated it again (halfway through the shot) a big ugly cloud of red entered the syringe. I dumped out the gear (wasted some money, but that is beside the point here) and did the entire injection again, this time it was perfectly clean without any blood.

A few questions: why did the blood come in like that, and is there anything you guys could suggest so this wouldn't happen again, i'd like to learn from this so it doesn't happen again.....it was quite strange really. But when i pulled the needle out, suprisingly there was no big gush of blood or anything, so i am wondering exactly what happened
    Wow i do not know of anyone who aspirates so much.

Thread Information