Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Kaz
    Kaz is offline Member

New Members - Senior Member does not mean experienced member

I just want to make a point with this post. I get a fair number of PM’s from people wanting advice. I don’t mind that at all, that’s why I log onto this board in the first place – To learn from and to help other people.

When I don’t know the answer to a question I will always say that I don’t know, and more often than not I will advise throwing the question onto the main forum where you will be likely to get a wider range of experience and responses.

My worry is that newcomers to the site are seeing the “Senior Member” status and assuming that I know what I'm talking about. In many cases I DO know what I am talking about, and, like I said I will be the first to say when I don’t know.

The problem is that the Senior Member status doesn’t mean that I know squat, it only means that I have made X number of posts. One would assume that if I have been around long enough to make that many posts I have learned something, but we are talking about sticking things into our bodies here and assumptions shouldn’t play any part in that process!

The fact is that I may have gained all those posts from making comments on peoples pictures or making comments about the latest Star Wars film in the General Forum.

This is NOT about asking for or suggesting changes to the way the board is run. I think Jason and the mods all do an excellent job. I just want to make new users aware of the fact that Senior Member Status Does Not Mean Experienced Member

You should ALWAYS get a second (or third, or fourth) opinion about any info you are given. I'm sure no one will deliberately mislead you, but that is NOT the point! If you have an unfortunate experience as a result of something someone suggested to you its down to YOU and you alone!! You should have checked the advice you were given, and researched based on that advice.

If you are considering using AS you should have your eyes wide open all the time!

Thats my little rant over with

Peace

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    I will concur on that point.
    I have senior member status but have never done a cycle.
    OPINIONS that I have given can be found on diets, supps, and other general questions but I myself am still learning as well.
    I again stress Kaz's point to research the advice given to you.
    A lot of members here are extremely experienced and can give you an educated answer, and I don't believe any member would knowingly provide false information, but the bottom line is it's up to you make the final decision.

ironfist is offline Elite Hall Of Fame ~ RIP ~
    LOL...all I have to say is "doofy" and i think we all get the point...

tryingtogetbig is offline Whiney Member
    Where is Doofy? I haven't seen a post from him in a long time. Hope everything is well with him!! He does help keep things ineresting around here!! lol

peace,

ttgb

bigwillster is offline Associate Member
    Originally posted by ironfist

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    couldn't have said it better myself Kaz. Again, what works for me may or maynot work for someone else. so the advice that one person may give to another is usually based on what they have experienced, or the way their own bodies are. Doesn't mean that it is the way someone else may react to something. This board is full of knowledge, and if people would stop and read alittle they will understand that no one knows everything, because we all have different experiences and knowledge. that is what makes this board such a great place. Remember there is always someone who knows more...

Tedmax195 is offline Member
    same with me i have yet to do a cycle but nobody asks me for advice, i try and stay away from answering an as question unless i'm absolutely sure i'm putting the right answer down.

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    The great thing is that if someone posts bogus or crappy advice usually people jump right in and correct it. That is why I would avoid using PM's for advice that can be dicussed openly so many of the most experienced users will take a look. Just my opinion.

I would never give advice on something I don't have experience with.
    Your point is well taken, get 2nd, 3rd, and more opinions before making up your own mind.

xplicit is offline Member
    I have over 500 posts and i dont know as much as a guy with say 200 if i can help i will but my knowledge is limited.
    Do you think we should agree on a new system of titles to help sort out some of the confusion people have?
    Do you think the system of titles should be improved or changed or do we make this thread a sticky imporant thread and hope people read it ?

tanto is offline Junior Member
    LOL guys Doffy is around here too? he's gearless now

03733+$ is offline Associate Member
    I think the system of titles is fine! because the mods know and see who knows what there talking about, they also know whos not the most intelligent!
    This is were vets and moderators come into play!
    Obviously if someone has the title of vet or moderator they have some vast experience behind them!
    I also agree with getting 2-3 opinions before making a decision with your body!
    I back the open discusion method as well because nobodys the excactly the sameso something that worked with one member may not have worked so well with another!
    This is the reason for the vast amount of info on this board, do a search and read, read, read to gain the most knowledge to make your final decision!

iron4life79 is offline Retired Moderator
    imho,
    post count means squat around here. if a new member hangs out long enough, he or she will eventually figure out on their own who is in the know and who isnt. to be totally honest there are only a few bros on this board i go to for advice and support, and they already know who they are..............dont get me wrong here, there are a lot of the newer brothers i dont know real well yet, and they could be highly informed for all i know. but the cream always rises to the top as far as im concerned.

btw-another great post kaz.....

peace bb79

Iwan2bsolid2 is offline Senior Member
    great post kaz.

devilscabanaboy19 is offline Associate Member
    Agreed. Just cause it says "senior member" doesn't mean that all those posts were full of good info. They could all be bullshit.
    BTW, Barbells what is that in your avatar, it's pretty cool lookin'.

DCB

Ajax is offline Senior Member
    Great point Kaz. Lots of posts mean only one thing: the guy has lot of free time. I have seen guys with one post give good advice and guiys with 1000 posts post utter nonsense. Stay on AR for a while and you get to see who is on the spot and who is not!

ScottP--you also make a good point. People are starting to PM more for questions that should be posted as a thread. The more brains tackling a question the better--and if one person makes a mistake (or gives bad advice) there are a lot of guys out there to correct it on a thread, nobody can do that on a PM.

iron4life79 is offline Retired Moderator
    dcb,
    the avatar is a lithograph by syyd raven called "the arc". i thought it was pretty cool myself............you can find more like this one on his homepage under the name of the artist.

peace bb79

Originally posted by ironfist

oooooh shit thats funny bro..

Kaz
    Kaz is offline Member
    A little bump!

Id like everyone (New members mainly) to get a look at this.

tt333 is offline Senior Member
    This needs to be a sticky.

Bigun is offline Senior Member
    This needs to get a BUMP

motoxxxguy is offline Anabolic Member
    I would say that this should go in the Educational Threads forum, but most newbies don't read that stuff anyway. Still good info. Nice bump Bigun.

-moto

nevaenuf is offline Senior Member
    This is a good thread. We shouldnt take any advice for granted, no matter who it came from.

BUYLONGTERM is offline Anabolic Member
    Fantastic post!!!! It has to be up to the individual to take in account of the advice they are given. When I ask something, (besides knowing who gives good advice) I never look at what there status is. I look for everyone's opinions and make an educated decision based on them.

You can have Arnold S. himself come to the board as a newbie and give all all amazing advice.

Calipso is offline Banned Post Whore
    I agree with BLT. Sometimes some of the newbies and regular members can give bad advice, and some can give good.

Sticky?

BDTR is offline Retired
    Pheedno is a newbie ROFL.

monstercojones is offline The Anabolic Assassin
    Quote Originally Posted by bdtr

newbie? newbie is generous....

Aragorn is offline Senior Member
    Great thoughts all around on this thread. Definately something that should be considered whenever someone is looking for advice and in the end a little common sense could save a lot of confusion.

Aragorn

JohnnyB is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    This is a classic, I think I had just become a senior member when this was posted.

JohnnyB

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by buylongterm
    Fantastic post!!!! It has to be up to the individual to take in account of the advice they are given. When I ask something, (besides knowing who gives good advice) I never look at what there status is. I look for everyone's opinions and make an educated decision based on them.

You can have Arnold S. himself come to the board as a newbie and give all all amazing advice.
    Agreed..... The more opions you get the better but then from there you must draw your own conclusion as what is right. It's your health.

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    YAY. WOW. What a post. Lets dip it in gold and hang it up for all to see.....

BASK8KACE is offline Anabolic Member
    BUMP.

One way to check out a person is to do a quick search on all of the member's posts. Scroll through a few of them. If most of the posts consist of one line responses or--worse--one and two word responses, then the person probably got his/her title by post whoring (No disrespect meant toward bdtr who has made an art of post whoring).

Take time to see what a board member has contributed to discussions before drawing a conclusion about his/her ability to give consistant, reliable, good information.

big swoll is offline Member
    BUMP-------sorry Bask8kase.....i couldn't resist

markas214 is offline Senior Member
    Unfortunatly the titles come from the quantity of posts versus the quality. Their are plenty of guys here who know what they're talking about, including some post whores and even "Vet post whores". The rest aren't even worth replying to unless their opinion and advice is harmful or totally ridiculous.

asymmetrical1 is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by markas214
    Unfortunatly the titles come from the quantity of posts versus the quality. Their are plenty of guys here who know what they're talking about, including some post whores and even "Vet post whores". The rest aren't even worth replying to unless their opinion and advice is harmful or totally ridiculous.
    "vet post whore" lol

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    There are some questions that i hope any senior member can answer though... like..

"can i drink winny?"

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdtr

Take a trip back, to the days on innocence. Also, to the days I was 170LBS.

powerlifter is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pheedno
    Take a trip back, to the days on innocence. Also, to the days I was 170LBS.
    That would be 8th grade for me LOL

wallycn is offline Banned
    Kaz you said what I been thinking for awhile, I've gotten alot of great advice. But sometimes people reply to post I have made and tell me I don't know ****. Then I look at their profiles and they have only been lifting for a couple of years and they have never touched a steriod . You can gain knowledge by reading, but experience goes alot farther in the real world. Thanks to all the great bro's that do know what the **** their saying, it is greatly appreciated by the rest of us.

tryingtogetbig is offline Whiney Member
    Wow...a blast for the past!!!

peace,

ttgb

ColdSore is offline Banned
    quit bumping these irrelavent threads..wtf???????...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information