Thread: propecia

toothpick is offline Junior Member

propecia

when on PROPECIA what steroids should you avoid?

Also...

I have just recieved a prescription for it... where can I PURCHASE IT ON THE NET FOR A REALLY GOOD PRICE....

THANKS FELLAS

4plates is offline Banned
    alot of roids are hard on the hair bro,tren ,winnyeven test.
    anything that converts to estrogen will cause dht,the main cause of mpb
    you have to decide what you want,as far as propicia effecting gains id say no.

toothpick is offline Junior Member
    wasnt talking about gains... I am almost positive that if you take propecia while on certain steroids (like winny I think) it may increase your chances of losing ur hair...

someone help me out lol

Ajax is offline Senior Member
    OK, I dont have a hairloss problem but I did research this point for a freind of mine who does have Male Pattern Baldness (MPB) and was considering taking steroids :

DHT, is the main casue of MPB. Certain steroids (and I can confirm testosterone --4plates has a longer list) are converted to DHT as the steroids are metabolized in the body. The enzyme that converts them to DHT is 5-AR.

From "Enzymatic Conversions and Anabolic-Androgenic Steroids" on Mesomorphosis.com:

5alpha-reductase

This enzyme can do one thing and one thing only: convert a steroid with a double bond between carbon 4 and carbon 5 to one with a single bond between them (and also adding a hydrogen to each carbon so the total number of bonds remains correct.)

This means that it can convert testosterone to DHT (Figure 8) or nandrolone to DHN (Figure 9) but it cannot convert Winstrol or Anadrol (Figure 2) despite the uninformed claims of careless steroid authors. And although Dianabol does have a double bond between carbons 4 and 5, it nonetheless also is not converted by 5AR.

Both Type 1 and Type 2 versions (isozymes) of 5AR exist. Type 2 is present in the prostate, and Proscar is a good inhibitor of that isozyme. Type 1 is present in the scalp and skin, and unfortunately Proscar is a poor inhibitor for that type. There are a number of experimental Type 1 inhibitors, such as MK-386, which will likely be of use in treating acne or male-pattern baldness, but they are not on the market yet.

Despite the fact that Procepia (AKA: Proscar, Finasteride) may be only a weak 5-AR inhibitor, many people do take it to prevent hairloss while on steroids (primarily testosterone). (Another benefit for Procepia is it prevents enlargement of the prostate--also caused by DHT.)

So Procepia will not combine with any steroid to enhance hair loss--but if you are already experiencing hairloss, taking Procepia might not effectively prevent DHT buildup in the scalp.

(Some people recommend Nizoral 2% shampoo for that--though I have yet to see a study that show's it lowers DHT in the scalp--and I haven't looked very hard--many people swear by it!)

OK, take it form here boys--that's as far as I have researched it...
    Last edited by Ajax; 06-08-2002 at 08:51 AM.

Thread Information