Nathan is offline Retired Moderator

S'up with Vitex?

Okay, I bought some but would like to know why I am taking it. It helps with proegesterone-related gyno I blieve but how? I don't really have gyno, just leaky nips so since the shite is so damn cheap I thought I'd give it a go. Anyone know anything useful?

Thanks guys. You're all a big help.

...Is the guilt trip working yet?

The fabulous contraption of Horatio Humperdink.

Naturally Anabolic is offline Associate Member
    Vitex acts on the diencephalohypophyseal system _p; in other words, the hypothalamus and pituitary.
    Vitex increases LH production and mildly inhibits the release of FSH. The result is a shift in the ratio of estrogen to progesterone, in favor of proges-terone. This is, in fact, a corpus luteum like hormone effect. The ability of Vitex to raise or modulate progesterone levels in the body is therefore an indirect effect and not a direct hormonal action. This is in contrast to other phytomedicines, like Black cohosh, frequently used in gynecology because of their direct binding of estrogen receptors ("phyto-estrogens").
    Vitex also modulates the secretion of prolactin from the pituitary gland. Early animal studies indicated an increase in lactation and enlargement of the mammary gland following administration of Vitex.It is interesting to note that Vitex has been historically used as a lactagogue (substance to increase milk production) in lactating women with poor breast milk production. As we will note below, clinical studies have confirmed this effect.
    Current research with Vitex has indicated usefulness in hyperprolactinemia. In studies with rats, Vitex was shown to inhibit prolactin release by the pituitary gland _p; particularly under stress. The mechanism of action appears to involve the ability of Vitex to directly bind dopamine receptors and subsequently inhibit prolactin release in the pituitary. Slight hyperprolactinemia is commonly associated with corpus luteum insufficiency.

Thanks, but it inhibits prolactin release and yet increases lactation?

increases lactation in animal studies i don't know that it has the same effect in humans, i know it was administered to humans but i do not believe it has the same effects aka a "natural remedy" for things such as low breast milk production although i don't believe the effects were ever found to be related to vitex use.

don't wantcha going and breast feeding any kids by taking it

after doing some research it seems people are generally unhappy with vitex useage and prefer Bromocriptine.

Thanks bro. Anyone else have any first-hand expereince?

Thread Information