Unhappy Can't lift jack shit after a long layoff

I was training for 2 years non stop and due to a working holiday of 4 months I had to take off, I never lifted a single weight.

I then went in to the gym a few days back to start again, but found out that I can't even lift three quarters of what I used to. I trained biceps and triceps as heavy as I could, and for one week I could not move my arms.

Today I just trained chest, and just don't have that muscle endurance I used to have. I was so dissappointed when I had to use poundages that I had been using 2 years ago when I was a complete beginner.

Is 4 months lay off from the gym so detrimental?

and how long does it usually take to get back to "normal", and what could help me out and give me some kind of boost. Basically I don't have as much strength as I used to, but more importantly I have no muscle indurance.

It's so depressing to go back to the gym and see guys who were once smaller than me, bigger and better.

Help me out bros!!!!!!

johndope is offline Associate Member
    dude.. just dont give up strenghtreturns quite fast... as u know how ur body responds to the routine... 4 months is a lot comparedto two yuears... but eat good rest well and train hard

Darkknight442 is offline Associate Member
    First off toenail. don't sweat that shit. 4 months?? I took 3 weeks off form the gym once and i could not lift shit. I know exactly how you feel bro. I was pissed the f87k off. But the onehting at the gym a guy told me. Lifting, for your "body" is like riding a bike. It never forgets. I hope you inderstood that. lol Your muslces will need osme time to get used to the wieghts again. Ir sucks, but youw ill need about 2 maybe 3 weeks to get back in form. The main thing is to start slow. let your body get back in the broove. and give yourself plenty of rest. cause it i not used to the wieghts anymore. You'll see bro, no worries, you'll be back to urself in no time.

tt333 is offline Senior Member
    Thats part of it when you miss workouts. If i go 3 or 4 weeks i lose alot of my gains. To me, it's almost like starting all over. Peace

Tman is offline New Member
    I just was off for 9 months, total nightmare. I know where you are coming from. I am in my 2nd week back and am starting feel better.

This sounds stupid, and probably is nothing, but I almost feel it coming back already. Probably more my imagination and great hopes...lol

Just train, if you did it for 2 years, you will be back soon

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    Thats normal bro. When I hurt my shoulder I took the same amount of time off. 2 months after returning I was back to where I was before and then I surpassed my max soon after that. As far as the pain goes, your muscles aren't used to it anymore, but they'll adjust fast.

Darkknight442 is offline Associate Member
    Hey TMAN, Its not your imagination man. if you feel your shit coming back it PROBABLY IS. don't let yourself down like that. Like i said its like riding a bike. Give it some time and you'll be fucking popping wheelie's again. lol

bad boy 68 is offline New Member
    I took 8 months off, then it took me 1 month to get back to where I was..

Unhappy

The worst thing is that I was once 228lbs (after a few cycles). I had a lot of bodyfat however so I started intense cardio, and got myself down to 187lbs. That's when I stopped going gym (at 187lbs).

In 4 months away from the gym I also lost 27lbs so basically I'm now a small 160 pounder!

What I would like to ask is; Is it worth doing a small 8 week cycle of primoteston (test enanthate ) at 1000mg/wk, 300g protein/day & 4000 calorie diet to catch up, and close the 4 month gap?

My stats are:
    Height: 5ft 11"
    Weight 160lbs
    Bodyfat 13%

Thread Information