LookingtoCut is offline Associate Member

Question Post Workout/Cycle

Hi guys, got a very quick question for you. I know post-workout carbs are essential, and everyone told me to get PURE dextrose, to mix in with my post-workout shake since they are simple carbs, and perfect for post-workout...

Well, I got my 5 pounds of dextrose, and found out that 1/3 cup = 40g

So, when I get home, I should take my regular Isopure Dutch Chocolate shakes ( 50g pro, 3g carbs ), and just dump in 1/3 cup of dextrose, and that counts as simple carbs, right?

Can anyone explain why exactly dextrose is essential in a post-workout shake? Thank you!

Nathan is offline Retired Moderator
    That sounds good.
    Dextrose has a high GI - the highest in fact - and so is in your blood more rapidly than anything else and aids in recovery by providing an insulin spike from the pancreas in response to the sudden burst of glucose in the blood. The insulin will then shuttle the glucose and protein to your just-worked muscles where you want it go. If you take in carbs with a much lower GI then the insulin spike is greatly reduced and spread out more over time so that you will not benefit as much from the prime anabolic state your body is in post-workout.

Here bro. I posted this a while ago and it seems like it might help:

Insulin 101

Insulin is a small protein molecule that functions as a hormone in the body. It is synthesized in large quantities in only beta cells found in the pancreas. An interesting fact is that the amino acid chain sequence of insulin is very particular among vertebrate animals. So, the insulin found in one mammal will almost certainly be biologically active in another mammal. That's why people with diabetes are sometimes given insulin obtained from the pancreases of pigs - in case you ever wondered and give a shit. Anyway, insulin is usually secreted in response to elevated blood glucose levels since it's "job" is to shuttle glucose into cells. Actually, insulin is also released in response to elevated blood concentrations of other fueling molecules like amino acids and fatty acids and, interestingly enough, it is also secreted in response to certain stimuli like seeing or tasting food - so go stare at some pork chops and you'll be a monster in no time. Like all protein hormones, the receptor for insulin is found bounded in the plasma membrane of cells. The receptor works as an enzyme to transfer phosphate groups from ATP molecules to remnants of tyrosine on target proteins found within cells. Phosphorylation of these proteins changes their function and so something happens biologically.
    Alright, so insulin facilitates the uptake of glucose into muscle cells, adipocytes and some other tissues. It does this by making GLUT4, the major transporter of glucose, available in the plasma membrane of cells. Insulin doesn't do this for all tissues, for instance it doesn't facilitate glucose uptake into liver or brain cells cause they don't utilize GLUT4. What's more, insulin causes the liver to store glucose as glycogen. I don't really remember how exactly (my memory is pretty good but some of this stuff is too technical so fuck it) but the bottom line is that when there is lots of glucose in the blood, insulin tells the body to go to the bank (i.e. the liver) with that shit. When the liver is getting too filled with glycogen then insulin causes the synthesis of fatty acids in the liver. When insulin levels drop, the liver stops synthesizing glycogen and enzymes become active to break it down. Also, when insulin levels become low, the body turns to other sources of fuel for energy like fatty acids. Insulin also inhibits the breakdown of fat (damn, eh?) by inhibiting triglycerides to release fatty acids. It can slow fat loss in yet another way, namely by causing the uptake of glucose into adipocytes which can then be synthesized into glycerol, and that in turn causes the synthesis of triglycerides.

Thank you Nathan, very very informative.....

Will it affect me in any way if I am trying to get shredded from my cycle? Will the sugar affect my bf%, etc? I'm at roughly 14% BF and trying to get shredded/ripped on my cycle....it will not affect LEAN MUSCLE MASS from the sugar?

If you are cutting I think you should still take in some carbs post workout but you may want to reduce them from when bulking. Post workout is the one time though that you can get away with high GI carbs and not have to worry much about fat.

I just drank my first protien shake today with 1/3 cup of dextrose. I ordered my dextrose from proteinfactory.com, and they told me 1/3 cup equals 40g. So thats perfect. Don't get me wrong, I'm trying to gain 15-20 lbs of LEAN mass while on my cycle...I'm trying to bulk up, but LEAN bulk..and get ripped....

The dextrose made my shake taste absolutely incredible...It was DELICIOUS!!!! WOW, I'm addicted....is 40g good amount?

40g should be good. That's about what I take since I am also afraid of fat. Gives me the shivers. Bbbrrrrr... If I remember right I weigh more than you so you should be golden with that amount.

Thread Information