Thread: milk thistle

4plates is offline Banned

milk thistle

has anyone ever heard of milk thistle in 1000 mg per capsule?
    the reason i ask is because all the milk thisle ive seen was 200 mg each
    i found a box made by natures bounty that is 1000 mg each
    it says that it goes by a 4:1 extract ratio from 250 mg
    does this make sense to anyone or is it 250 mg each

JP1570 is offline Senior Member
    bro, what are you doing with that stuff anyway, all I've read about it recently is that there is no proof it does anything to protect your liver, and a few studiea have actually shown it to hinder gains. Why not go for the r-ala????

pump man is offline Junior Member
    If I'm taking orals, I take 1000 mg ED Milk thistle ED, I manged to find a brand at Walmart that has 490 mg per cap, so I take them in divided doses. I hear Milk Thistle is the shit, I'm going to take it till I hear otherwise,( 4 plates i found this check out wal-mart.)Ialso found this intresting= article from the newest muscular development. according to the research done in the article, milk thistle is bullshit. tell me what ya think......

Milk Thistle is a popular bodybuilding supplement and is currently the most well researched plant for the treatment of liver disease (with over 450 published peer review papers). Silymarin, a flavonoid extract from milk thistle, has been used clinically for alcoholic liver disease treatment in Europe and Asia for almost 2,00 years. Currently it’s used by bodybuilders as a protective measure for the liver when using high dosages of orals.
    Silymarin is not water-soluble and is typically administered as an encapsulated standardized extract. The absorption with oral administration is rather low, with only two or three percent being effectively taken up. The peak plasma levels after an oral dose are achieved within four to six hours.
    The reason this study is significant is because of the described mechanism that milk thistle is working in the prostrate. It is showing effectiveness in treating prostrate cancer because it prevents the androgen receptors from making to the nucleus of the cell. This may be good if you are fighting cancer of the prostrate, but it is bad if you are trying to get a muscle cell to grow larger.
    In order for testosterone to work, it must pass from the blood to the inside of a muscle cell, bind to the androgen receptor inside the cell, then travel inside the nucleus where it binds to your DNA.
    These researchers were able to show that milk thistle did not reduce the number of androgen receptors, nor did it prevent androgens (i.e. testosterone) from binding to the receptors. All it seemed to do was prevent the androgen receptor from traveling to the nucleus, or in our case, this prevents the desired the effect. The androgen receptor, once bound to the androgen, must make it to the nucleus in order to increase protein synthesis.
    Bottom line: Use milk thistle if you are sure you are having liver toxicity problems. Then, only use it for a few weeks at a time. There are other herbs with tremendous hepatoprotective effects, so you may want to give them a try instead

DiMensionX is offline Member
    I'm so tired of typing about MT and it's benefits, it seems that most want to knock it. It works, I can't say about hindering gains, I don't think so but that is purely my opinion.

What is NOT my opinion is the fact, as stated by Pump, is that there is numerous medical studies, documented FACTS, that MT is one of the most potent liver protectants and regenerative accelerators there is. That's a fact jack, anyone care to shoot the FACT'S down please have some fucking litature to back it up, or STOP giving out bad advice.

BTW, that was a generalized statement above, not pointing fingers nor speaking to anyone in this thread about knocking MT. Just in the past I have written about it's benefits and some folks come along knocking it for no apparent reason.

I would however like to see some kind of medical litature regarding MT hindering gains. Who knows?

DMX

Originally posted by DiMensionX
    I'm so tired of typing about MT and it's benefits, it seems that most want to knock it. It works, I can't say about hindering gains, I don't think so but that is purely my opinion.

What is NOT my opinion is the fact, as stated by Pump, is that there is numerous medical studies, documented FACTS, that MT is one of the most potent liver protectants and regenerative accelerators there is. That's a fact jack, anyone care to shoot the FACT'S down please have some fucking litature to back it up, or STOP giving out bad advice.

BTW, that was a generalized statement above, not pointing fingers nor speaking to anyone in this thread about knocking MT. Just in the past I have written about it's benefits and some folks come along knocking it for no apparent reason.

I would however like to see some kind of medical litature regarding MT hindering gains. Who knows?
    DMX
    Well then hoss, explain this one here eh.... Go to GNC and look at the little sign above the milk thistle that reads something like "Milk thistle has NEVER ACTUALLY BEEN PROVEN to protect your liver." They're trying to sell the stuff and even they're admitting that they don't know if it really works. Why not just go with something that works, like r-ALA????

when I read my last post, I realize how confrontational it sounds. sorry, didn't mean it that way. I'm too quick to get defensive a lot of the time, especially when I'm on, like right now.

Thread Information