inertia is offline Associate Member

internet security!

here are some great tips to ensure safe internet usage.i found this info and alot more on www.astslavista.com hope this helps

1.update/patch all your software every now and then.

2.check/adjust ALL your settings so they are safe, since they arent by default.

3.use a firewall,like zone alarm.

4.use good passwords:at least 13 marks long,containing both letters and numbers,and change your passwords every few months.

5.get a good antivirus program F-secure or norton , and keep it updated

6.dont open or execute files that you are not completely sure of.

7.wipe your histories(like cookies, internet history and temp files)logs and personal files with specific wiping program like ERASER instead of just deleting them.

8.use encryption to enhance your privacy,use encrypted e-mail like hushmail or ziplip.and encryption sensitive files like PGP.

9.dont use public computers for anything you need to type in your logins usually there are trojan horses that capture your passwords.

10.dont assume anything.if you dont know find out.ask someone who knows.thats the best way to cripple your system or get a trojan horse on your computer.

THESE TIPS ARE ONLY BASIC PRECAUTIONS NOTHING MORE!! for more advanced safety take time to look up www.astalavista.com it WILL be WELL worth your time!!
    PEACE INERTIA
    Attached Images Attached Images  

anyone with additional knowlege on this subject feel free to add!
    Last edited by inertia; 08-01-2002 at 04:43 PM.

Padawan is offline Associate Member
    Good advice. I used to have fun reading everyone's hotmail at the college I went to, just using some simple tricks in the Windows history files. Never use a public computer, and I agree with everything updated.

Bump for the non-tech geeks out there.

there are TONS of free sites at astalavista .windows washer ,pgp, and eraser are good FREE tools to use.but i guess until someone gets hacked or really gets plez or some virus.there is no need for alarm!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails internet security!-siren.gif  

Rickson is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Here is a post from AF from a guy named fr34kn1k. Thought I would add it to this thread.
    Cleaning off unwanted files from your PC

LITTLE DID YOU KNOW ABOUT YOUR HD SECURITY....

There are folders on your computer that Microsoft has tried hard to keep secret. Within these folders you will find two major things: Microsoft Internet Explorer has not been clearing your browsing history after you have instructed it to do so, and Microsoft's Outlook Express has not been deleting your e-mail correspondence after you've erased them from your Deleted Items bin. (This also includes all incoming and outgoing file attachments.) And believe me, that's not even the half of it.

When I say these files are hidden well, I really mean it. If you don't have any knowledge of DOS then don't plan on finding these files on your own. I say this because these files/folders won't be displayed in Windows Explorer at all -- only DOS. (Even after you have enabled Windows Explorer to "show all files.") And to top it off, the only way to find them in DOS is if you knew the exact location of them. Basically, what I'm saying is if you didn't know the files existed then the chances of you running across them is slim to slimmer.

It's interesting to note that Microsoft does not explain this behavior adequately at all. Just try searching on microsoft.com.

I know there are some people out there that are already aware of some of the things I mention. I also know that most people are not. The purpose of this tutorial is teach people what is really going on with Microsoft's products and how to take control of their privacy again. This tutorial was written by me, so if you see a mistake somewhere then it is my mistake, and I apologize.

ACRONYMS
    DOS = Disk Operating System aka MS-DOS
    MSIE = Microsoft Internet Explorer
    TIF = Temporary Internet Files (folder)
    HD = Hard Drive
    OS = Operating System
    FYI = For Your Information

Enabling Windows Explorer to "show all files" does not show the files in mention. No. DOS does not list the files after receiving a proper directory listing from root. And yes. Microsoft intentionally disabled the "Find" utility from searching through one of the folders.

Just from one of these files I would be able to tell you which web sites you previously visited, what types of things you search for in search engines, and probably gather your ethnicity, religion, and sexual preference. Needless to say one can build quite a profile on you from these files. It has the potential to expose and humiliate -- putting your marriage, friendship, and corporation at risk. Here's one good example of the forensic capabilities.

One more thing, they contain your browsing history at ALL times. Even after you have instructed Microsoft Internet Explorer to clear your history/cache. And so the saying goes, "seeing is believing..."

To see for yourself simply do as you would normally do to clear your browsing history. Go to Internet Options under your Control Panel. Click on the [Clear History] and [Delete Files] buttons. (Make sure to include all offline content.)

So, has your browsing history been cleared? One would think so...

Skipping the to chase here. These are the names and locations of the "really hidden files:"

c:\windows\history\history.ie5\index.dat
    c:\windows\tempor~1\content.ie5\index.dat

If you have upgraded MSIE several times, they might have alternative names of mm256.dat and mm2048.dat, and may also be located here:

c:\windows\tempor~1\
    c:\windows\history\

Not to mention the other alternative locations under:

c:\windows\profiles\%user%\...
    c:\windows\application data\...
    c:\windows\local settings\...
    c:\windows\temp\...
    c:\temp\...

FYI - There are a couple other index.dat files that get hidden as well, but they are seemingly not very important.

Please note that following these next steps will erase all your internet cache and cookies files. If you use the offline content feature with MSIE, it will remove this as well. It will not erase your bookmarks.

CAUTION
    1) Shut your computer down, and turn it back on.
    2) While your computer is booting keep pressing the [F8] key until you are given an option screen.
    3) Choose "Command Prompt Only." This will take you to real DOS mode. ME users must use a bootdisk to get into real DOS mode.
    4) When your computer is done booting, you will have a C:\> followed by a blinking cursor. Type in this hitting enter after each line (sans parenthesis):

C:\WINDOWS\SMARTDRV (Loads smartdrive to speed things up.)
    CD\ DELTREE/Y TEMP (This line removes temporary files.)

CD WINDOWS
    DELTREE/Y COOKIES (This line removes cookies.)
    DELTREE/Y TEMP (This removes temporary files.)
    DELTREE/Y HISTORY (This line removes your browsing history.)
    DELTREE/Y TEMPOR~1 (This line removes your internet cache.)

(If this last line doesn't work then type this
    CD\WINDOWS\APPLIC~1
    DELTREE/Y TEMPOR~1

(If this doesn't work then type this
    CD\WINDOWS\LOCALS~1
    DELTREE/Y TEMPOR~1

FYI - Windows re-creates the index.dat files automatically when you reboot your machine so don't be surprised when you see them again. They should at least be cleared of your browsing history.

CLEARING YOUR REGISTRY
    It was once believed that the registry is the central database of Windows that stores and maintains the OS configuration information. Well, this is wrong. Apparently it also maintains a bunch of other information that has absolutely nothing to do with the configuration. I won't get into the other stuff but for one, your Typed URLs are stored in the registry.

HKEY_USERS/Default/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/TypedURLs/
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/TypedURLs/

These "Typed URLs" come from MSIE's autocomplete feature. It records all URLs that you've typed in manually in order to save you some time filling out the address field. By typing "ama" the autocomplete feature might bring up "amazon.com" for you. Although, I find it annoying, some people prefer this feature. One thing is for sure however -- it's an obvious privacy risk. You wouldn't want a guest to type "ama" and have it autocomplete to "amaturemudwrestlers.com" now would you?

You can clear your Typed URLs out of your registry by doing going to your Control Panel > Internet Options > Content > [AutoComplete] > and finally [Clear Forms]. If you feel the AutoComplete feature is a privacy risk, then uncheck the appropriate boxes here.

FYI - This section has nothing to do with "really hidden files." It was added so people can completely clear their browsing history before having to ditch Microsoft Internet Explorer.

SLACK FILES
    As you may already know, deleting files only deletes the references to them. They are in fact still sitting there on your HD and can still be recovered by a very motivated person.

BCWipe is a nice program that will clear these files. (www.bcwipe.com).
    For you DOS buffs, there's a freeware file wiper on simtel.net that I use. (www.simtel.net/pub/dl/45631.shtml).
    If you are using PGP then there is a "Freespace Wipe" option under PGPtools.
    The newer versions of Norton Utilities has a nice filewiping utility.
    You might want to check out Evidence Eliminator's 30 day trial. This is probably the best program as far as your privacy goes.(www.evidence-eliminator.com)

MICROSOFT'S PRODUCTS
    If your work environment forces you to use Microsoft Internet Explorer then I strongly recommend that you talk your boss into checking out one of these programs:

PurgeIE http://www.aandrc.com/purgeie

Cache and Cookie Cleaner for IE http://www.webroot.com/washie.htm
    Anonymizer Window Washer http://www.anonymizer.com/anonwash

These programs automate the process for you, and is far better then having to ad 'deltree/y' lines to your autoexec.

AND if your work environment forces you to use Outlook or Outlook Express then you should get in the habit of compacting your mailboxes.

You can do this by going to File > Folder > Compact All if you have Outlook Express.

Try
    Tools > Options > Other tab > [Auto Archive] if you have Outlook. Make sure to set things up here.

Information researched and complied by totse.

LOOK FOR THE NEXT INSTALLMENT - STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE THROUGH YOUR HIDDEN FILES

shonuff is offline Associate Member
    good info rickson

AGAIN very nice rickson

Thread Information