PrewPump is offline Junior Member

Question to bulk or to cut

I'm 20 yrs old, 6'3, 215 lbs.about 15% b/f. Been training for 4 years. I've never used AS, still researching heavily. I know this isnt a AS question, but I think that I'll get the best advice/opinions in this forum. I can't decide whether to have my first few cycles be cutting or bulking cycles. I've head that you are happier with the results of bulking if you are cut going into it,and a cutting cycle is less harsh on your body for a first timer ; but on the other hand I have heard the opposite. I can't seem to put my finger on which one to do first. Once I do decide it'll will let me concentrate more on researching specific AS instead of researching abroad, which can be hard on the ole' brain. So feel free to fill my head with knowledge and opinions.

babi is offline Associate Member
    at 6'3 you are tall man go up in weight at least 250-260 before thinking of cutting once u get thereif your bf stays the same or slightly higher then gain another 20or 30 lbs then you will be ready to cut for sure

budman_z71_24 is offline Associate Member
    You definately need to do some more research before you do a cycle. I would suggest a basic cycle like test and EQ or test and deca for a first cycle, but not until you learn more about them. If you need some help there is plenty of it on this board. Read educational threads and use the search button for topics you are interested in.

Peace, Budman

Rickson is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I will probably get jumped on for this but bulking is funner and easier then cutting. If you want to get big go with a bulking cycle your first couple of times then begin to shred up later (just my opinion by the way no hard and fast rule). I think only you know what you want to achieve with your body so ultimately only you can decide.

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Rickson I like the road your taking here buddy and it's good to see a young guy doing the research first. I'm the same height as your self and here's what I'd do if I was at your stage. I'D CUT !. Do it gently, have patience, and see whats under the litte fat you have. If you like that look work at adding quality muscular gains, don't worry yourself over adding huge weight in a cycle because small and steady muscular gains at your age will stay with you for life. Remember slow and steady wins the race!. The mistake alot of guys make starting out is thinking "Shit, I want 30lbs in 8 weeks" and end up looking fat at the end of it all. So they make the excuse to their training buddies, "I'm bulking so I don't mind the fat.." then after years of this they finally decide to cut, but find then they they've develope stubborn fatty deposits which won't shift. Then they come on here asking about T3 and DNP cycles. Buddy keep on the road your on now, because I damn well wish I had taken the same advice when I was 20 years old...checkout my posting asking for T3 and DNP cycles, lol (kidding mate).
    All the best and keep us posted.

Bouncer

thanks a lot rickson and bouncer, i've decided to go with getting a little more lean and then putting on some more lean muscle mass. but i know what you mean rickson about the bulking is more fun, ive done a half ass bulk cycle (no AS) and i gained a fair amount of wight but most was fat. After a lot of thinking id rather be a little smaller(muscular wise) and lean than more muscluar and fatter. thanks a lot for the input, you actually helped me make a decision. PrewPump

eradikate is offline Senior Member
    i realize i dont really like bulking. I rather get 10-15lbs of lean mass while shedding some bodyfat. It's easier to maintain anyway. bulking you have to stuff your face every 2-3 hrs and that can be expensive. also who wants to blow up so quick anyway? im 165lbs 5'9" 9-10% bf, and im going to do a cycle where i can gain 15lbs of lean mass and shed bodyfat, which will make me around 175-180lbs at 7-8% bf. Which will be awesome! good luck dude!

yeah all you beach boys go with that theory you will naver puy on more than 5lbs a year at best,my theory is if you bulk up for a couple of years now that you are young its easier to shed the fat and retain the masstoo
    the other thing is all the bb do it this way too so if everybody its doing this way maybe you ppl should look into it too

babi, dont sit there and sterotype and judge when you dont even know whos on the other end. i would just bulk hardcore like a body builder, if i was an aspiring body builder, but im not. I dont want to put on 30lbs in 4 months and be a walking strech mark, just not my style. I want to stay relativley lean so im still nimble and can play sports. I'm satisfied with my "5 lbs a year" which in all actuallity is more like 5 lbs a month. Slow and steady wins the race. Dont hate....just debate.
    PrewPump

PaPaPumP is offline Retired Moderator
    Lean mass cycles from here on out. I'll take 10-15 quality in 8 weeks over 30+ with more than half being fat and water. I lift to look good, not to look like the Michelin Man. I realize we are all different with different goals, and that is my opinion. There is also a plus to staying 10% or less year round and that is the look the vast majority of females go for. Not everyone, but most. Since leaning out, I have been 'talking' with A LOT more females than when I blew up last fall. It's all gravy either way. Do what you want.

TheStromba is offline Associate Member
    CUT ! If you are not a powerlifer, why look like one? The ripped guy ALWAYS gets the attention over the bigger bulkier guy. See what ya got unerneath first and then do some moderate bulking cycles to add lean mass.

Ott
    Ott is offline New Member

BULK FIRST!

Whatsup Bro's

I just wanted to take a hack at this since I have been debating this shit over and over in my head. First off, everyone here knows that every person reacts differently to EVERYTHING! So saying in general that bulking is better than cutting or vice versa won't stand. So yea, I want to be 180 and shredded, but since im 150 now, doing a "cutting" cycle eating lean food and doing cardio will not get me even CLOSE to where I want to be.

It seems to me we all want to have our sauce (cake) and inject (eat) it too But if you want to be BIG and CUT and you don't have a massive frame already, you HAVE to BULK FIRST! For instance, me- I am 5'9" 150 with about 13% BF (mostly in lower abs). If I want to get to 180 and be 8% BF, and STAY shredded all the time- then I would do a "cutter" and get up about 156, then another and get to 165, then another and another and another. Then you can all put in dibs for my working organs! But if I do one or two bulkers, get up to 180ish, then take some ECA or clen , shred down to where I want to be, and there ya go!

So yea it sucks having that extra BF for a few months. But its ONLY A FEW MONTHS- and the payoff will be huge. But some of us guys are just too small to stick to that cutting only BS... You lucky !@##$% that already have the mass can get away with it.... Damn you genetics, damn you to hell!! Time to go eat a big mac with cheese!!!

Ott

prew pump if you gain like 5 clean lbs a month we should be looking at you in mr olimpia competition anytimesoon i was just giving my opinion that bulking b4 cutting works bettter than the other way around but i will take that back since we have ppl like you in this board that gain 5lbsclean muscle a month which comes to a equall of 60 lbs a year
    i am truly sorry mr UNIVERSE lol
    ps:how old are you by the way

babi, if you cant gain around 5lbs of lean mass a month i dont know what to tell you. I never said w/o AS. you can call me mr universe, you can call me what you want, as long as you dont call me late for supper. i dont think you understand what is being discussed here, so ill break it down. I can get on a cycle which would help get me to my desired BF (8%) and still pack on a few lean lbs. and this is without the genetic mutation you think i have. this post was to see options, opinions and results that others have, not a place to try and show off skills in mathematics... i.e ( 12 x 5 = 60 ). take it easy and dont let your meat loaf. prewpump

jmattoxson is offline New Member
    cut first and then bulk. if you cut first and then bulk you will get zero stretch marks. thats what i did and i dont have any stretch marks.

Thread Information