Jarod is offline Associate Member

Need Info On Search Warrants

IF SOME OF YOU OUT THERE ARE OR WERE IN LAW ENFORCEMENT I NEED SOME INFO. I KNOW THAT IF THE POLICE COME TO YOUR RESIDENCE AND HAVE A SEARCH WARRANT THAT THEY CAN ENTER YOUR RESIDENCE AND DO A SEARCH OF THE PREMISES. I ALSO KNOW THAT THEY ARE NOT ALLOWED TO TAKE ANY OF YOUR PRESCRIPTION MEDICINE THAT ARE IN THOSE TYPES OF BOTTLES THAT YOU GET FROM YOUR PHARMACY. MY QUESTION IS THIS THOUGH, IF YOU HAVE A SAFE IN YOUR HOME, DO YOU HAVE TO OPEN IT FOR THEM OR CAN YOU SAY THAT EITHER YOU LOST THE COMBINATION TO IT AND GET AWAY WITH THAT. -THIS APPLIES TO THOSE IN THE UNITED STATES.

Tank21 is offline Associate Member
    what is the search warrant for? Gear i presume?

ECFATCAT is offline Associate Member
    A seperate warrent is needed for anything locked like that. in Haggerstown MD 10 years ago the police arrested some one in the prosess of serving a warrent. They opened a locked suitcase and found 17 pounds of crack !!!!! the charges were trumped up to try intimodate ......not to hard as you can imagin......to make a long story short everything was droped and he sue the state something about his rights being voilated ...he won the case it was in all the papers........ the state paid in settelment $$$$

It 's important to know your rights .....cops get away with everything you will let them.

Don't ever go to court with out a lawyer.!!!!!!!!

playin the game to win ECfatcat.........#1
    Last edited by ECFATCAT; 08-04-2002 at 01:07 PM.

inertia is offline Associate Member
    is this parinoia jarod because im sure your local police are equipped to open any safe you have and yes the police can confiscate anything that looks suspicious.my recommendation would be to read up on steriods and the law posted here i think its the first sticky on this board. oh yea dont sign for anything at the door.the police can enter your premices if you sign for any illegal contraban but corrcet me if im wrong .no flame intended---peace inertia

it depends. In the course of serving a warrant, the police can seize evidence or contraband other than what the warrant specifies if it is in "plain View" . If the contraband, items that the warrant specifies can even possibly be in the safe, than they just simply get some way to open it or take it to be opened when they have the proper equipment. however, if the warrant is looking for say a rifle for instance, they can not open or take a little safe because thye rifle that they are searching for can obviously not be in the safe. Man, it all depends on what the warrant specifies. The warrant has to specify something. It can not be , we are searching for"stuff". So basically , it all depends.

if what they are looking for can fit into the safe then it is gonna be opened some way. The lock is just a hinderance to them. That is what i meant to say.

budman_z71_24 is offline Associate Member
    Sounds Like you got busted Hope I'm wrong Bro

juttsin is offline Junior Member
    I KNOW FOR SURE!!!

If they had a search warrent to search for gear, this means they can look anywhere that the gear could fit into. (like a small safe) (they would call a lock smith if they had to). The thing with a search warrant is, they would have to stop the search when they have found what is listed on the search warrant. they cant go on once they have found the gear. If the police had a search warrant to look for a car in a garage, once the find the car in the garage. they cannot go searching around in your safe. (because everyone knows a car cannot fit into a little safe). pm me if you need more help.

freak of the week is offline Junior Member
    Juttsin is right. PM if you need help. They can search anything covered in the search warrant that is likely to lead to the discovery of the items under suspicion. Therefore the safe would be fair game.

Jarod is offline Associate Member
    Originally posted by inertia
    is this parinoia jarod because im sure your local police are equipped to open any safe you have and yes the police can confiscate anything that looks suspicious.my recommendation would be to read up on steriods and the law posted here i think its the first sticky on this board. oh yea dont sign for anything at the door.the police can enter your premices if you sign for any illegal contraban but corrcet me if im wrong .no flame intended---peace inertia
    Hello inertia, no this is not paranoia, but your rights are your rights and every day the police do their job based on the simple fact that most people do not know their basic rights under certain given situations. I have not been busted. I have received some vitamins at my business that I own addressed to the business. The other day a detective with the city police dept. came to my residence when i was not their asking if i owned my own business and that he needed to talk to me. He was not allowed to enter or anything like that. So when i returned i called him and asked him what he wanted he claimed that the name of my business came up in an investigation and that he needed me to come down "to clear something up". I asked him if he could just give me some indication as to what this was about or what kind of investigation it was and he said that he does not do that over the phone and that i needed to come down. So I told him to copy this down , gave him a telephone number and told him that was my attorney and that if it was so important that he could not tell me over the phone then he needs to call my attorney and maybe we all can set something up to talk, then I told him to have a nice day.

budman_z71_24 is offline Associate Member
    Glad you didn't get busted, you did the right thing. He will probably step his fat ass back now

ironfist is offline Elite Hall Of Fame ~ RIP ~
    Originally posted by juttsin
    I KNOW FOR SURE!!!

If they had a search warrent to search for gear, this means they can look anywhere that the gear could fit into. (like a small safe) (they would call a lock smith if they had to). The thing with a search warrant is, they would have to stop the search when they have found what is listed on the search warrant. they cant go on once they have found the gear. If the police had a search warrant to look for a car in a garage, once the find the car in the garage. they cannot go searching around in your safe. (because everyone knows a car cannot fit into a little safe). pm me if you need more help.
    That's pretty close to being right on but they won't stop a search just cause they find stuff in one place. They are gonna rip apart as much as they want or as much as the warrant allows...

Thread Information