dece870717 is offline Knowledgeable Member

Doctors and Steroids...

How much do doctors know about steroids in general? Cause it seems like basically any doctor I ask about using steroids will say their horrible and you WILL have health problems in the future. Do they only know as much as the average person that gets all there info about it from the media?

Dizz28 is offline I reject your reality and substitute my own
    Quote Originally Posted by dece870717
    How much do doctors know about steroids in general? Cause it seems like basically any doctor I ask about using steroids will say their horrible and you WILL have health problems in the future. Do they only know as much as the average person that gets all there info about it from the media?
    Well, they know the obvious, that AAS both injectable and oral will cause a few health problems but they are mostly temperary. I don't think there has ever been a long term study of high doses of exdigenous hormones in the male human body.

Oral steroids , of course, raise liver values but I've found that if you don't use heavy doses for extended periods of time they will go back down to normal within a month or so after discontinuation. Also, without alcohol consumption.

Most, if not all, steroids will alter you cholesterol levels. You HDL (good cholesterol) will drop severely while your LDL (bad) will raise significantly. This could cause concern if you are prone to cardio-vascular disease. This also returning to your "normal" levels within a few months....speaking from personal experience only.

Blood pressure is another problem with highly androgenic AAS. But once again, returns to "normal" after discontinuation.

the point being....there really hasn't been any long term studies of high amounts of testosterone /testosterone derivatives in the human body to base off of so all Doctors can tell you is the acute and possible long term problems associated with the use of them.

hope this answers your question

Dizz
    Last edited by Dizz28; 04-05-2007 at 06:51 PM. Reason: being more specific

I know all that but appreciate the answer anyway. But what my friends doctor was saying was basically like no matter how much research you do and how much you know long term health problems are inevitable. And I really, really, doubt that, especially if you know what your doing.

fLgAtOr is offline Anabolic Member
    Depends on the doctor.

A general practitioner is only going to know what they learned in med school. Which, from what I understand, is a few pages in a book. And this is based off a few examples of what steroids can do..positive and negative.

Remember, it wasn't too long ago that the Olympic commitee swore up and down that steroids don't work...All the while, powerlifters are lau***ng in the back of the classroom.

So dr.s know what they've been taught. And like said above, theres a huge lack of "evidence" supporting the claim that steroids aren't that bad for you.

What is not evident to them, is the sheer number of people who juice, and the unproportionate LACK of people who are dying from them.

BG
    BG is offline The Real Deal - AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    My doctors great, but I knew more then him in a few directions.

Disclaimer-BG is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way encourage nor condone the use of any illegal substances.
    The information discussed is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Everything was impossible until somebody did it!

I've got 99 problems......but my squat/dead ain't one !!

It doesnt matter how good looking she is, some where, some one is tired of her shit.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Great place to start researching ! http://forums.steroid.com/anabolic-s...-database.html

C_Bino is offline $BAM-7246~AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuns101
    My doctors great, but I knew more then him in a few directions.
    Same on this end. A good doctor will realize people make their own decisions and help you to at least make them safely. My doc knows I use and therefore said as long as you are using atleast I can help to make sure you stay healthy and keep your bloodwork regular and give you anything that will help keep things in check.

Whether they know about individual steroids and half lives etc etc I doubt it. But they do know the mechanisms through which they act and the overall consequences of using them. After all they do prescribe them for HRT so they have to know some things.

gym lord is offline Junior Member
    I know all that but appreciate the answer anyway. But what my friends doctor was saying was basically like no matter how much research you do and how much you know long term health problems are inevitable. And I really, really, doubt that, especially if you know what your doing.
    yeah, i agree ... US doctors are way behind Euro MDs in this regard, of whom many believe with proper use and doctor monitoring, AAS are relatively benign, especially compared to poor diet, alcohol abuse, and cigarette addiction, all of which are rampant in society throughout the industrialized world ...

my ex-wife is a US doctor, and she's a fccing idiot, always was too ... she does however, have huge titties, and is really good in bed ... nailed her a few weeks ago while her new husband was out of town at a medical symposium ... he's an MD too, and a real fccing idiot ... i'm in sales and i'm an idiot too, but not nearly as big an idiot as them two ...

Long term problems for taking Motrin 800mg (or any NSAID) TiD on your liver/stomach are well known and...like you said are inevitable but they are still being perscribed like candy.

Some Cholesterol and Psych medications have more serious short term and long term side effects than AAS.

BG
    BG is offline The Real Deal - AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by C_Bino
    Same on this end. A good doctor will realize people make their own decisions and help you to at least make them safely. My doc knows I use and therefore said as long as you are using atleast I can help to make sure you stay healthy and keep your bloodwork regular and give you anything that will help keep things in check.

Whether they know about individual steroids and half lives etc etc I doubt it. But they do know the mechanisms through which they act and the overall consequences of using them. After all they do prescribe them for HRT so they have to know some things.
    Exactly, he monitors my use so I stay healthy.

Disclaimer-BG is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way encourage nor condone the use of any illegal substances.
    The information discussed is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Everything was impossible until somebody did it!

I've got 99 problems......but my squat/dead ain't one !!

It doesnt matter how good looking she is, some where, some one is tired of her shit.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Great place to start researching ! http://forums.steroid.com/anabolic-s...-database.html

maxex is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C_Bino

Some dr's, expecially if theyhave been around for a few years have an idea.

These guys treat thousands of people a year, I think a lot of theyre thinking is based on some of the things they have seen over the years.

When I went to my dr for nolvadex he knew exactly what he was doing, like he did it a thousand times. He was very eduacted. I thought he was an idiot and would just hand over the script, not the case. He lectured me, made me go through tests, ect...he made it hard, he knew what he was doing. Told me he sees guys like me on a daily basis, and he deals with a lot of guys with long term issues from their younger days. Showed me pics and all, like it was his mission to keep people off gear.

Quote Originally Posted by maxex
    Some dr's, expecially if theyhave been around for a few years have an idea.

These guys treat thousands of people a year, I think a lot of theyre thinking is based on some of the things they have seen over the years.

When I went to my dr for nolvadex he knew exactly what he was doing, like he did it a thousand times. He was very eduacted. I thought he was an idiot and would just hand over the script, not the case. He lectured me, made me go through tests, ect...he made it hard, he knew what he was doing. Told me he sees guys like me on a daily basis, and he deals with a lot of guys with long term issues from their younger days. Showed me pics and all, like it was his mission to keep people off gear.

might be where you are from that the Doc's are a little more educated. I would go on a limb and say that a doctor from Alaska would have less knowledge. You know what I mean?

South Cali, South Florida, and around the northern most of Jersey i would think they would see more cases that a place like....Maine for instance

deadliftin00 is offline Junior Member
    My experience is that they don't know shit. Point blank.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Most doctors know as much about steroids as they do about exercise. except for endo's those guys are good.

scribbs12 is offline Member
    the doctors i see at willford hall med center.. lackland afb.... dont know that much.... i asked my doctor about it... and all he said was they are bad on your liver... cause you to stunt your growth and even can cause heart attacks...i was asking him about them and his general messege was that the are bad for u.. and we looked up different steroids on the internet together and he was basically reading to me what that internet said..... he didnt know too much.. i dont really know that much and i was having to explain to him some of the different steroids and what they do and about pct ..etc.. because supposedly he gives seminars to help prevent young airmen from taking steroids....

android is offline New Member
    you need to watch the video on "hbo inside sports" about the use of AS. even the doctors on there can only admitt the evidence against using them is anecdotal at best.

Quote Originally Posted by android
    you need to watch the video on "hbo inside sports" about the use of AS. even the doctors on there can only admitt the evidence against using them is anecdotal at best.
    Yes, seen the video countless times and have it on my hardrive, but more info from other doctos wouldn't be bad either well a informed doctor anyway. Man they need to do a long term study on AAS SO BAD.

Coop77 is offline Senior Member
    I went to a general practitioner who specializes in "Men's Health" and claims to know a lot about steroid use . He said he "takes care of lots of bodybuilders" and even admitted to doing "a cycle or two" himself back in the 80s and 90s. But, he really didn't know that much. Things he told me..

* said gyno was most common with nandrolone . I think nandrolone is one of the -least- aromatizable steroids out there, isn't it?

* didn't recognize anastrozole, dutasteride, or letrozole . I had to tell him what they were.

* asked me if I "pyramided" my cycle. I don't think anyone does that anymore.

* said he had never heard of using nolvadex during cycle.

* said using nolva or clomid after a cycle will just suppress you more and be counter productive.

* never heard the term "PCT" before and seemed skeptical about the whole concept. Said best thing to do after a cycle is just take nothing and let your body recover.

* told me hCG will not suppress your natural LH and FSH. I have blood tests to prove this isn't true.

.. and a bunch of other weird stuff that I can't remember. Still, I think he was probably way more knowledgeable on the subject than most GPs out there.

Thinking about it now, I'm glad steroids are illegal because of how much people don't know about them.

BlackWidow is offline Associate Member
    Doctors have to say steroids re bad coz of one thing : IT'S NOT NEEDED TO MAKE MUSCLES. You know what I am talking about... you're saying ( use steroids once you reach your genetic limit ), right ?! If so, can anyone tell me the percentage of only the members of this forum who reached thier genetic limit ?!! I think may be 1 or 2 %. The other are just taking shortcuts ( like me lol).

And even if waited till ther genetic limit, why using a compound that will disturb my hormonal balance and give me hazards ?? It's my body and I have to do my best of couse but also have to accept its limits.. right ?? Like your face, you could do tanning, you could make a better hair cut but i don't think you're gonna do a plastic surgey to make your self more handsome will you ?!!!

I know aspirin is bad for your liver and in large doses may be worst but when you take aspirin, you take it to cure you from a disease... Got the point ?!!

Thread Information