Thread: potassium

123A is offline Junior Member

potassium

what does it mean if your potassium levels are a little high?

bump

let me ask it this way, if on AS will this affect your potassium levels?
    bumpity bump

OGPackin is offline Anabolic Member
    Hey bro, to much potassium is a bad thing. I was taking to much and i thought i was going to have a heart attack. Once i stopped the potassium i felt better. It has something to do with blocking the oxygen passing through ur heart and muscles.

OG

Potassium is important for the function of your heart and muscles, and most of the potassium in your body is found in the cells of these organs. For your cells to function properly, it is important for your body to maintain a proper balance of potassium and sodium. Regulating this balance is the work of the kidneys. Since too much potassium presents a danger, the kidney extracts any excess from the body and excretes it in the urine. People with healthy kidneys do not need to restrict their potassium intake. In fact, potassium is good for them and foods high in it are often recommended as part of a healthy diet. People who are taking diuretics (water pills) for heart conditions are usually told to eat foods high in potassium to replace what they lose by the diuretic's action.

thanks OG, i read also that if your potassium levels reach past a level of 6.5 it can cause a lot of problems such as HYPERKALEMIA to name a few, now i have been checking my blood on a regular basics, my blood test came in this morning and it was up to 5.8, and my doc. (is aware of AS use) gave me a bit of a warning, now, i've searched but can't find any info. on the chances of AS increasing your potassium levels.
    supplements and diet can, but can AS aswell??

realjo1000 is offline Associate Member
    Last edited by realjo1000; 03-25-2012 at 10:05 PM.

xero is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 123A
    thanks OG, i read also that if your potassium levels reach past a level of 6.5 it can cause a lot of problems such as HYPERKALEMIA to name a few, now i have been checking my blood on a regular basics, my blood test came in this morning and it was up to 5.8, and my doc. (is aware of AS use) gave me a bit of a warning, now, i've searched but can't find any info. on the chances of AS increasing your potassium levels.
    supplements and diet can, but can AS aswell??

I recently came off a test/var cycle and bloodwork came back with very high potassium. Doc phoned me at home late at night in a bit of a panic about it. He was very worried about it and told me to be in first thing in the morning to redo test.

What he explained to me was that potassium is mostly contained within muscle and blood cells and should not be found at high levels in blood serum. If serum potassium levels are high it means that there is cell breakdown happening thereby releasing potassium in the bloodstream. IOW a symptom of a major problem.

The other possibility is that if the blood sample was mishandled before the testing, the bloodcells can breakdown and release their potassium the serum therby resulting in a false reading. It was for this reason that he immediately took a new sample and redid the test.

Second time it came back in the normal range.

Thread Information