joeyc is offline New Member

getting every drop

Let me be clear at the beginning. I have not tried this and am presenting it for discussion only.

I have worked with needles and syringes for years but have not used oil based drugs. My Idea would be, to put half a cc of saline in the syringe before you pulled up an oil-based drug. with the syringe facing needle down,the saline would separate to the plunger (unless the oil is very light, in which case you would need to tilt the syringe the other way) . If you kept the syringe tilted somewhat in this plane, you would flush all the drug from the syringe first. When the saline finally passed through the needle there should be no drug left in the hub.

I know there isn't allot of volume in the hub but if you are going to pay for it you might as well use it all.

Joeyc
    Last edited by joeyc; 08-18-2002 at 11:52 AM.

jmac is offline New Member
    Good question bro. Not able to tell you if its a good idea or not but it sure seems logical. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one that is completely irritated by seeing that last liittle drop of gear getting wasted in that damn needle.

jmac

4plates is offline Banned
    not worth the risk,
    actually pretty dumb

kreper69 is offline Associate Member
    i don't think that last drop would be worth it bro. usually i lose a little anyway when i let a little drop out the pin for lubrication.. (does that sound dumb??)

trey is offline New Member
    pretty pointless for a drop of oil. you never know how your body will react when injected with water and oil in the same syringe.

joeyc is offline New Member
    I don't see any "risk" in the proposed method, I have injected 1000's of people with saline based pharmaceuticals and never saw a single reaction. normal saline is at the same salinity as human body fluids (.9%) and is readily absorbed by the body.
    In my field (Nuclear Medicine) I am always trying to get the most efficient delivery, and when dealing with volumes as small as 1ml, It is not uncommon to see 10% (you can measure these things when the substance is radioactive) of the dose left in the syringe.

I still don't think I would go through the effort for a few drops

JP1570 is offline Senior Member
    Originally posted by trey
    pretty pointless for a drop of oil. you never know how your body will react when injected with water and oil in the same syringe.
    Common misconception bro, nothing at all wrong with mixing oil and water based gear.

Thread Information