Cycleon is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired

Media finaly admits steroids are good!!

BY ROBERT NELSON (http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/issue...l/1/index.html)

Bob Klapp says his testicles are perfectly plump, thank you, and his wife of 44 years back in the kitchen is willing to attest that he is far from impotent.

I won't make him verify testicular health because above and below those testes ripple the most chiseled, menacing muscles I have ever seen on anyone over 50.

Bob Klapp is 66. The social security checks just started rolling in, and he's enjoying the senior-citizen discounts.

He doesn't need the Medicare. Doctors tell him he has the health of a 30-year-old.

I do ask if I may lop off his head, cryogenically freeze his body à la Ted Williams and put my head on his body when mine wears out in a couple years.

No knockout punch comes. Lucky for me, he doesn't have 'roid rage .

Indeed, in every mental and physical way, including a gorgeous mop of his own hair, Bob Klapp is the poster gramps for anabolic steroids .

Klapp has used and advocated anabolic steroid use for 40 years.

Part of that advocacy meant trafficking the stuff from Europe. In the early 1990s, Klapp was arrested for selling anabolic steroids as part of a massive steroid bust by local law enforcement. Klapp was released in 1997 after spending 22 months in federal prison.

Now Klapp, a retired high school English teacher and coach in the Scottsdale school district, is back in his advocacy role.

Government has no right to tell adults what they can or can't do with their own bodies, he argues, particularly when there is no scientific proof that what they do with their bodies is dangerous.

He calls his libertarian philosophy "bodily sovereignty."

And all this hand-wringing about steroids in baseball , he says, is nothing more than the hysteria of "puritanical Luddites."

If you want to ban steroids, he argues, you should ban all modern performance enhancers. If you want Barry Bonds on a level playing field with Babe Ruth, you should also put him on a level playing field with Rogers Hornsby or, let's be really fair, Abner Doubleday.

Hell, if you really want fair play, you should outlaw modern vitamins, modern weight rooms, modern fitness regimens, modern balls, modern ballparks and the modern habit of baseball players to abstain from booze, smokes and sex with prostitutes between innings.

"This argument about a level playing field or the purity of the game' is absurd," Klapp growls from behind his writing desk at his home in north Phoenix. "If you're going to start rolling technology back, where do you stop?"

You stop at anabolic steroids, we Luddites argue, because they're dangerous, and using them is an insidious form of cheating that forces non-cheaters to cheat so they can continue to play the game. Inevitably, it forces kids to blood-dope to keep up and fuels that oxymoronic modern American cultural phenomenon, Situational Ethics.

At its heart, though, the issue is not about ethics. It is about health.

And here, Bob Klapp, far beyond flaunting his own body, has a legitimate argument that the rage against the health impacts of 'roids on male athletes really may be unjustified hysteria.

"There is absolutely no proof that anabolic steroids have negative long-term health effects to adult males," he says.

He's right.

Charles E. Yesalis, professor of health and human development at Penn State University, is arguably the nation's foremost expert on, and critic of, anabolic steroids. He has written three books on the subject, including a new book he co-authored, Performance Enhancing Substances in Sports and Exercise.

"Amazingly," Yesalis told me, "there has been no credible study of the long-term health effects of anabolic steroid use."

Although they appear to cause problems for women, he says, any evidence of long-term damage for men is "purely anecdotal right now."

There are, however, several proven short-term effects, he says. He holds credence in studies showing short-term rise in aggressiveness and a profound decrease in the "good cholesterols" that keep humans from having heart attacks. Also, the liver seems to be hurt by pill forms of anabolic steroids.

However, all those short-term side effects seem to disappear once a man stops using anabolic steroids.

And most athletes only use steroids in short cycles and often suspend use once they step away from competition. Anabolic steroid users also can take a cocktail of growth hormones for a short time, bulk up, and quit and retain as much as 75 percent of the benefits.

Legal drugs such as tobacco and alcohol are proven to be far more dangerous than anabolic steroids, Yesalis says.

"You know, if my son came home and said, Dad, I'm either going to start smoking or I'm going to get on steroids,' I'd have to say I would hope he would choose steroids," he says.

As far as we know, if used in recommended doses for limited periods of time, anabolic steroids are safe. And they better be, Yesalis says, "because we've been using the same drug in medicine for 65 years with no problems."

"This may seem strange to you," he says, "but I can argue both sides of this issue with sincerity. It would be incorrect to say there is a final word on anabolic steroids."

Klapp says the only reason anabolic steroids are illegal, and banned from sports, is because they work.

Yesalis says that's absurd. Here is where Klapp and Yesalis head in opposite directions.

Body builders and other athletes are notorious for taking up to 100 times the doses deemed harmless by medical science, Yesalis says.

And athletes, like drug addicts, are notorious for saying they'll quit after short-term use.

And anecdotal evidence and smaller studies suggest that this much-needed long-term anabolic steroid study won't come to rosy conclusions.

"A lot of people mistake absence of evidence for evidence of absence," he says.

Yesalis also believes that anabolic steroids are just plain cheating. He believes the use of anabolic steroids in baseball has badly tainted the game.

"I look at these chemical cowboys in baseball and it makes me sick," he says. "In my mind, they can't carry the jockstrap of a guy like Mickey Mantle."

In my mind, the danger of a guy like Bob Klapp is that he might be the equivalent of those healthy 99-year-old chain smokers you read about. They're just stupid, lucky people.

But neither I nor any other journalist or anti-steroid advocate has any proof. And that is what drives Klapp crazy.

"I'm just stunned by how willing people are to write about something they clearly know nothing about," he says.

Klapp says he began using steroids in the late 1950s, back when it was the hidden secret of the emerging body-building underground.

He continued using as society became increasingly anti-steroid. Klapp was busted soon after the federal government moved anabolic steroids into the same legal classification as heroin.

Police got body builders to roll over on their supplier. Then police raided Klapp's house, put a gun to his head and hauled him to jail.

The funny thing, Klapp says, is that he knew some of the cops because they were steroid-using body builders whom he had trained.

While he says he recommends anabolic steroids to adult males, Klapp says he never once suggested steroids to non-family members under 18.

When asked if he started his own sons on anabolic steroids before age 18, he says no, because the bad science at the time of their youth suggested it might be harmful during puberty.

Science has since learned, he says, that anabolic steroid use during male puberty can give the male body a size, speed and power boost that won't disappear once the drug is no longer taken.

Klapp has three grandsons. Two play college football; the other plays fullback for Paradise Valley High School.

"So, did you recommend they take anabolic steroids?" I asked.

"Well," he says demurely, "let's just say that if I had some fictional grandsons, I might have another position than what I had with my fictional sons."

I should have been appalled at the comment, I suppose, but after listening to both Klapp and Yesalis long enough, I had begun to regret the day I turned down anabolic steroids in high school.

My friends who used them became much better athletes. And they remain stronger and healthier than I am today.

And while I still think anabolic steroids are a form of cheating in sports, they certainly aren't cheating for the millions of people who use them for therapeutic reasons.

Growth steroids may not even be cheating for the 98-pound weakling who might suffer less emotional or physical abuse if he were 10 pounds heavier.

The issue is gray, not black and white as most frame it, and without good science, it seems to be a risk/benefit analysis that should be left to the individual adult.

What isn't a gray area is that guys like Bob Klapp have been vilified and incarcerated over the last decade without being allowed a fair voice in the legitimate debate over the dangers and ethics of anabolic steroids.

That's just unethical journalism and bad policy-making.

Bob Klapp's position deserves to be heard.

And once he dies, I deserve Bob Klapp's body. That is, if he ever dies.

Big_Dippin is offline Associate Member
    Its about time, and great article!

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    Great article maybe there is hope for us
    If people can't tell your on steroids then your doing them wrong

G Child is offline Anabolic Member
    Some kind of padded room...wearing some kinda white jacket...can't move...help!
    There is not any hope for any of you drug addicts! Steroids are bad and you are all going to hell for using them!

djdjdjddjon is offline Anabolic Member
    wow, thats an awsome article...big BUMP

budman_z71_24 is offline Associate Member
    Good read Cycleon. Finally some truth about AS

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    I wish every freaking law making goverment official would read this and do something about it. I mean come on, how many AS users do you see knocking down 7-11's to get their daily or montly fix of AS? How many AS users are homeless and find themselves in AS crack houses? Fact is, folks that use AS, well most of them anyways, are very prominant citizen's. Hell it should be part of our freedom in this country to do what we want to our bodies, if we choose to. Okay I am off my soap box!!!!

ripped4fsu is offline Anabolic Member
    Testify!

nitro4 the body is offline Junior Member
    great post man, I wish they would make it legal. It would relieve a lot of stress for people . Plus the government could stop screwing with us and keep the country safe from the real bad guys .

thegame01 is offline Member
    good post bro . bump

jeffylyte is offline Member
    Indiana. My phallus is bigger than Nathan's!
    arnold for president! maybe then we can push for legalization.

good thread

Grant is offline Member
    The worst part about an outsider that reads this article is that they will consider Klapp a fluke and this will not undue their brainwashing. I asked my med student friend why exactly he thought steroids were harmful and he could not put his finger on it. He could just tell me that he knew they were without doing any research of his own. This in turn, creates a new generation of doctors that are nieve as the ones now, and by passing on false knowledge from generation to generation will propel these lies about steroids.

scav is offline Junior Member
    These lies are made by people who wants the kind of body we have, but has not gotten what it takes in the gym no matter what.

PumpinIron is offline Banned

I

I hope EVERYONE read that article ENTIRELY!

NO LONG-TERM STUDIES to prove that steroids are dangerous--but there are no studies to prove that they ARENT! There are simply--NO STUDIES ALTOGETHER.

I highly doubt that abusing steroids has no long-term serious health risks. An occasional cyclehere and there might not be bad--maybe 2 per year, could be even healthy for the body--we just don't know.

Testosterone analogs--oxandrolone, primobolan , turinabol , and the likes, in my opinion are safer than TESTOSTERONE itself.

hellapimpin is offline Anabolic Member
    very good read!! bump

wolfyEVH is offline Anabolic Member
    yeah, lets ALL bump 3 year old posts

jnx3k is offline Associate Member
    Excellent post. Is that just an online article or is it somewhere in AZ. I live here and would like to get a copy. Ill search around. Would love to show all the anti aas jackasses this article. Everyone loves to talk smack, but yet these same people smoke packs a day and do more damage to there bodies. hypocritical, I think so. Once again, good post.

hellapimpin is offline Anabolic Member
    Bump again for WolfyEvh

PumpinIron is offline Banned

Lol

Quote Originally Posted by hellapimpin
    Bump again for WolfyEvh
    LOLOL

BUMP!

Wolfy ALWAYS has an attitude!

LOL..DEPRESSED and self-loathing cus of all that TEST!

YIKES!

slob is offline Member
    some people u just cant help. its good to see that someone has seen the light, i just wish the same could be said for the vast majority of the community.

CanthookitLs6 is offline Junior Member
    Bump for anyone who didn't read this.

Decoder is offline Banned
    old as shiat.

Thread Information