gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~

Tendionitice (sp)

I have tendionitice (you know what i mean) And its really bad on bi day. Were it hurst and limits my workout. And its worse when im in my cycle. Is there anything i can take to help this?
    If people can't tell your on steroids then your doing them wrong

McBain is offline Member
    Stay away from NSAID's and pain meds. Alternate ice (10min) and heat (10min) 3 times per day (once if it's all you can manage). Find a good deep tissue massage therapist or physical therapist. They will work wonders! Also flexall isn't bad. There is no magic potion though bro. You have to take your health into your own hands and do the stretches and exercises the physical therapist gives you.

Lynn is offline Female Member
    What are you using for your cycle.. i find deca helps ease the pain.

Totenkopf is offline Associate Member
    Well Said McBain
    I would Follow his advice. Deep tissue works wonders.
    The ice is off course to reduce swelling and the heat is used for blood flow that promotes healing.

Thanks Mcbain i'll look into that. My regular doc dive give me pain meds. I havent taken them yet. If it wasnt for lifting i would never know i had it. It doesnt hurt any other time and about a half hour after im done it goes away.
    Lynn im on cyp.eq and fina now

TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator
    Good to see you around, Gixxer!

The best advice is the advice your doctor gives you. The one thing you didn't specify is that you have tendinitis where (wrist? elbow? shoulder?). Depending on the location, you may be able to treat it with cortizone shots (a corticosteroid, not an anabolic steroid - injections done by a physician, not by you or a friend, since they have to be aimed precisely). It's also important to determine whether you have tendinitis or tenosinovitis; the symptoms can mimic each other, but the specifics are different.

I have to cordially disagree with McBain (for whom I have the highest respect, since he usually gives very sound advice); NSAID's are precisely what are usually prescribed for tendon injuries, usually ibuprofin (Motrin).

The most important thing, however, has not been mentioned in this thread. If you experience symptoms only after working out, then you are either using too much weight and/or, not using correct form, or not doing a sound cycle. In other words, if you can attribute this type of pain to something specific, then your body is trying to tell you something; listen to your body, and cut back or cease doing what is causing the pain.

Hey TNT its been awhile. How have you been?
    It is in my wrist. And it hurts only when im working out. My doc did mention cortizone shots. But wanted me to try pain med (ultracet) 1 hour before the gym. I've been using wrist wraps. I dont believe its my form. But i have been pushing hard and maybe going to heavy.
    I believe my cycle is good. Im on cyp fina and eq.

TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator
    Hmmmmmm . . . In this particular case, I think you're doctor may not be giving you the best advice. To simply take pain medication before a workout is like taking aspirin for a toothache - it may ameliorate the symptoms temporarily, but it doesn't cure it or correct the cause of the pain.

Now, let's try a Finklestein - I kid you not. The first thing you should do is determine whether you have tendinitis, tenosinovitis (called DeQuervain's Tenosinovitis when it impacts the wrists), or Carpel Tunnel Syndrome. Bend your thumb and make a fist, so that your fingers wrap around your thumb. Then, bend your elbow and hold your hand in front of you and, with your other hand, gently move your fisted hand outward, bending at the wrist. That's called the Finklestein test and, if you feel a sharp pain, you've got DeQuervains.

Incidentally, I've had several cortizone shots for tenosynovitis over the years, and they do work. However, most doctors recommend a maximum of three shots in any one location, since repeated cortizone injections can weaken the bone/joint.

Gixxer, I think you hit on the key - you're probably using too much weight. Remember that everyone has their own plateau. Just like losing weight, in which everyone stops at a certain point, you can only push or lift so much weight. You work up to your point, and if you go past that, you will overstrain. For some, that may mean 50 lb. dumbbells, for others it may be 150 lb. dumbbells - it's not a competition, so you should max out at your safest level. And even if your form is usually good, if you're overdoing the weight levels, your form will not be so good.

If you do decide to get a cortizone injection, lay off the weights totally for about a week (yes, you will survive), then start lower and build up again, making sure that you don't overstrain.

As a general rule, once you've got tendinitis or tenosynovitis, it won't go away until treated. The most important thing is to recognize and obey your limitations, because if the shots don't work or you have had the maximum number, the next solution is surgery - and I do not recommend that if you can avoid it.

McBain is offline Member
    TNT you said you had good luck with cortisone shots? I looked into them for a wrist injury but I read a few studies showing that 6 months after the injection the patients were no further along in healing than the control group. How long ago did you get them? Do you think they helped a lot? Also did you notice any increase in joint/tendon/ligament probs? My main worry about the cortisone causing an increase in the degeneration of connective tissue, do you think you've felt any of these effects? Sorry for asking so many questions but I am very curious.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    First of I would like to say that I've had cortizone shot and many others I know have also had one. They can work wonders but do NOT get one for tedonitis( if that's what you have ). It's not a serious enough injury to warrant a cortizone injection IMO. I would be suprised if you could find a doc that would give you one for tendonitis. There are downsides, standard practice is that you can only have 3 in your lifetime( not sure if this is 3 in any one location or 3 in total ) and there are side effects to consider.
    Fix tendonitis with rest, ice and flex-all. Rest it until it no longer hurts, might be six days might be 6 weeks. Work unaffected body parts like legs, lower back, abs etc to kill your compulsion to get in the gym. That's what I do. At the moment I've got tendonitis in one of my quad muscles. Not cool to skip quads, but a little break now is better than a long break later.
    Last edited by chicamahomico; 09-15-2002 at 11:42 PM.

Thread Information