Jdawg50 is offline Anabolic Member

Tough one Mods- Raloxifen (Evista) vs. tamoxifen?

They are both SERM's (Selective estrogen receptor modulator). Could you take Raloxifen instead of Tamoxifen for Gyno? Mods this is one for you!
    Jdawg

Rickson is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Well I am not a mod but I will give it a go. Yes BB's have and do use Raloxifen (Evista) in substitution of Tamoxifen . Raloxifen was approved in 1997 by the FDA for treatment of osteoperosis. There are many trials testing its anti-cancer applications. It is a later generation SERM which seems to give the benefits of estrogen in liver, heart, and bone without the negative effects on breast and uterus much like tamoxifen. Long term effects are not available like they are with tamoxifen. I don't know anyone personally who has used it but will ask around and see if I can get any first hand reviews of effectiveness.

Thanks bro, I have read a bunch about Evista, but I can't seem to find any info about using it with a cycle. I know they use Tamoxifen for cancer patients, and Evista for osteoporosis. Thanks for the info.

ichabodcrane is offline Associate Member
    I'm not a mod, but I am in phamrD school (yeah, I know...so what!). But anyways both tamoxifen and raloxifene are SERM's like you said. Selective Estrogen Receptor Modulators. This means they bind bind estrogen receptors and depending on the specific tissue, they can either block the effect of estrogen or mimic the effect of estrogen. Raloxifene and Tamoxifene both block the effect of estrogen in breast tissue, but in the bones and heart they stimulate the the estrogen receptor (hence the effectiveness in helping to prevent osteoperosis and the heart healthy benefits). However there are differences between Raloxifene and Tamoxifene. T stimulates the estrogen receptor in the uterus, while R does not. Of course this does not apply to us but one difference that is noteworthy is that R does not seem to cause the eye problems (namely cataracts) which are associated with T and also clomiphene. But also note that Tamoxifene has been on the market for quite some time now and there have been numerous clinical studies done with this drug. Raloxifene is newer and does not have as many clinical studies compared to Tamoxifene. So the preliminary data on Raloxifene could change as it is introduced to a greater population of people and more studies are performed. But in answer to your question, yes it would seem to be as beneficial as Tamoxifene in preventing estrogen related gyno. Sorry to rant, but it is interesting to note the effects of these drugs. But remember for gyno these drugs only block the estrogen receptor and prevent estrogen from doing its job. But arimidex completely prevents test from converting into estrogen. But that is a different story. Good luck!
    Last edited by ichabodcrane; 09-16-2002 at 06:49 PM.

Wow

good info bro and i'd prefer to here it from a Pharm D. So the answer is Armidex.. right?

ichabodcrane is offline Associate Member
    Fuck, I just wrote a thesis (j/k) for you and I deleted it. So this will be shorter. I am by no means an expert in this field. There are many good bros on this board as well as others who are just as educated if not more so on this. Anyways, anastrozole is an aromatase inhibitor. Testosterone is converted to estrogen by the enzyme aromatase. Anastrozole blocks this enzyme and prevents the conversion to estrogen. There is no doubt it works, but it may work too well. We do need some amounts of estrogen in our bodies to maintain homeostasis, just not too much. Since anastorzole completely prevents the conversion of estrogen, you will lose the beneficial effects that I mentioned above from tamox/ralox. such as the good effects on the bone and lipid profile. (is it no wonder some of the sides of arimidex are bone pain and altered lipid profiles?) Also remember that arimidex is again fairly new to the market and there has not been many extensive cinical trials with this drug, and alot of the sides won't manifest for some time to come. But any time you mess with hormone balance you run the risk of offsetting some balance. What about using arimidex+tamox or ralox or clomid? Something to look into. Anyways the half life of arimidex is ~50 hours. So you could get away with eod dosing. The suggestion is always to start slow and low. So maybe 0.25 mg eod and go from there. Please note I am not recommending anything, just merely sharing some information. Also interesting is the maker of Arimidex (AstraZeneca) is pusing for FDA approval for use in male infertility. This would work in the same respect as clomid/tamox. If you have any questions, post em, that's what were here for. There are alot of outstanding and educated people here that are willing to help. Peace

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    My doc prescribed this one to me, here is some info I researched about it that my help you:
    http://anabolicreview.com/vbulletin/...098#post566098

Rookiejay is offline Member
    Tamoxifen = nolvadex = nolva

Right? (just to make sure those who are not familiar with all the technical terms could understand what this thread is about)

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rookiejay
    Tamoxifen = nolvadex = nolva

Right? (just to make sure those who are not familiar with all the technical terms could understand what this thread is about)

Correct

jess1000 is offline New Member
    Hi Guys,

Any updated info on raloxifene and gyno ? Have a case of it starting & my endo has put me on 60mg/day.

Thanks

domin210 is offline New Member
    Evista is better than nolva do to that it helps with osteoporosis, thats why there is different anti-e's on the market. Women with bone problems will take evista, but who cares about that the real question is that if you are prone to gyno, evista will do the job better than nolva. In a clinical study evista(raloxifene) compared to nolva, 91% of patients taking evista saw improvement compared to the 86% takin nolva, close numbers but for gynecomastia evista reduced it by 86% compared to 41% of wat nolva did. If gyno is ur problem and u dont want to buy expensive arimidex and aromasin evista will do the job. But also remember that nolva has positive impact on HDL(good) cholesterol which evista lowers both HDL and LDL.

Hi-Caliber is offline New Member
    You could always make a homebrew of 40mg/ml Raloxifene + .25mg/ml Anastrozole...
    Oh wait...
    I just made a few. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Caliber
    You could always make a homebrew of 40mg/ml Raloxifene + .25mg/ml Anastrozole...
    Oh wait...
    I just made a few. LOL!
    Wouldn't that be a waste? I mean Nolvadex is a SERM, and so is Raloxifene, and Anastrazole is a type-II aromatase inhibitor (AI) ....we know that using nolvadex along with a Type-II AI makes the AI far less effective than using the AI alone...so wouldn't Raloxifene have that same effect on Anastrazole? Or do you have evidence that it doesn't?

I'm thinking this combo is a waste of money, unless you have some studies suggesting otherwise...

Hi-Caliber is offline New Member
    No studies. Just know that both work for me, even using together. Maybe at a reduced percentage. That I won't argue, as I've never had the bloods done to check that.

Thread Information