Thread: Sleep Apnea

m16a2 is offline Senior Member

Sleep Apnea

I know this is not a steroid question, but I thought that this would be the best place to put it anyways. Does anyone here have sleep apnea? It's supposed to be very common and basically what happens is that you have interupted breathing during sleep, which prevents you from going into deep sleep. You end up waking up feeling tired (even if you get a long period of sleep) and you have trouble focusing, and you basically don't feel rested, no matter how long you slept. I'm starting to think that I might have this, but I wanted to know if anyone here has it, and if so, what did you do to deal with it?

Also, would this effect muscle growth? I am not sure if you need to be in deep sleep in order to grow, but maybe someone will know for sure.

Thanks

KeyMastur is offline VET
    I wrote a speech on this back in Speech 101 (actually, copied from a friend, teacher never knew)

(Kinda gay I know, but whatever, it's some information)

Sleep Apnea

Sleep apnea is a potentially life-threatening condition that is far more common than generally understood. Sleep apnea is a breathing disorder characterized by brief interruptions of breathing during sleep. Being aware of the causes, effects, and surgeries may help save you life or another's. There are many different causes of sleep apnea. One cause of sleep apnea is mechanical or structural problems in the airway. This causes interruptions in breathing during sleep. Very large or overweight people are in risk of getting sleep apnea because of an excess amount of tissue in the airway. The excess amount of tissue causes the airway to be narrowed. With a narrowed airway, the person attempts to breath, but air cannot flow into or out of the nose or mouth. Another cause of sleep apnea is when a person drinks alcohol and (or) takes sleeping pills. They increase the amount of breathing pauses in people with sleep apnea.
    It is very important to know some of the effects of sleep apnea. Some consequences of sleep apnea are depression, irritability, sexual dysfunction, learning and memory loss, and sleepiness. The most common effect is daytime drowsiness or sleepiness. The reason for this is because of the disturbance in their sleep patterns. It is estimated that 50% of sleep apnea patients have high blood pressure. Due to high blood pressure the risk of heart attack and stroke rises. In addition, sleep apnea is sometimes implicated in sudden infant death syndrome.
    Lastly I will discuss the different types of surgeries for sleep apnea. One of the surgeries is uvulopalatopharyngoplasty. It is a procedure used to remove excess tissue at the back of the throat. Another type of surgery is laser-assisted uvulopalatoplasy. This procedure involves using a laser device to eliminate tissue in the back of the throat. This procedure eliminates the snoring. Last, but not least, there is a tracheostomy surgery. This procedure is only life threatening cases. In this procedure a small hole is made in the windpipe and a tube is inserted into the opening.
    In summary, I have briefly described the causes, effects, and surgeries due to sleep apnea. If you ever talk to a friend or family member that might suffer from sleep apnea, you can inform them and help them because of your knowledge about the disease.

Originally posted by KeyMastur
    uvulopalatopharyngoplasty
    Try saying that 5 times fast.

Yeah, I read all this on the info sites, but I wanted to know if anyone had tried anything to help themselves /w it. Ideas like, sleeping on the side and not drinking or taking meds. I would goto a sleep clinic, but being on a cycle probably isn't the best time.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Originally posted by rampage76
    Try saying that 5 times fast.
    I had a hard enough time trying to say it 1 time in front of a class of 20 and the teacher. But, still made an A on the damn thing.

That's good to hear! I could probably impromptu a speech about sleeping disorders after how much time I've spent researching them. It's a bitch to fall asleep, and once I sleep, I don't feel rested. I think since I have all the symptoms of ADD, I will just get some adderal.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Have you tried Tylenol PM ??

Tedmax195 is offline Member
    I have it and right now that i'm on and gained 20 lbs it is worse. i slep witha CPAP machine which is just a mahine that pushes air into my nose and keeps my throat from colapsing (major cause of sleep apnea) Before i gained all this weight i was fine but i'm hoping that my body will adjust to my new found weight. Things that amplify sleep apnea large necks ( mine is 18") gaining weight, taking alcohol before bed. Sleeping on your back is not good for you either. I hope i helped let me know if you need any info at all.

Rickson is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Usually they make you sleep with an oxygen mask but if it is bad enough surgery can be necessary. I have been told I have it but no major sides from it right now. Is suppose to increase the likely hood of heart attack.

Ted, thanks bro, its good to hear I'm not alone. It's also good to hear that this isn't gonna stop my growth. Do you always sleep with the CPAP and at what point did you decide that you wanted to use it? How was it to sleep with it? Like, did it feel really great to have a good night's rest. I heard about the new treatment that was approved by the FDA, where they microwave your toungue @ the dentist, causing it to become smaller in the back area. Its supposed to be painless and take no more than 10-30 mins. Supposedly, it stops snoring and sleep apnea. As far as sleeping on my back, it would never happen! I can't breath right when I lie down on my back. I always have to be on a side... one more reason I think that I might have this.

Ted, did you goto a sleep clinic to be diagnosed?

djdjdjddjon is offline Anabolic Member
    my doc thought i might have this because of my always being tired, i think its just the body building lifestyle, training, diet, always on the go, stress, ,etc...but who knows, i probably have the shit too, i never ever feel rested...hope things get better for you bro...take care

thanks bro, i'm sure it'll work out in the end. right now though, /w the lifestyle of training (bulking), no chance i'm going to a sleep clinic. i'mma try for my adderall tomm, and blame the high bp on eca and coffee

bradbuck is offline New Member
    I had the surgery for apnea. I was diagnosed at a clinic. I could snore even on my stomach. Th e dr told me the surgery is for peoole that are young enough and not over weight. When you gain weight you also get more tissue growth in your throat which make it easier to close up once your tongh slides back if you are sleeping on your back. I used to take all day to wake up now I can gat up and not want to kill some one first thing in the morning.

I actually slept well last night. I stopped taking benydral, but took 3/5 of a bar (xanax) and melatonin. I slept from 1:45-7:50 no problems

I feel pretty rested at the moment. My arm was numb when I wokeup though, ha

Thread Information