Rugby13 is offline Member

What do you think of this bench program?

Due to my shoulder hurting I've decided to change my bench routine which used to be about 4 or 5 sets with only like 3 or 4 reps...heavy weight. My max is at 365 but I'm going to lay off the heavy weight for a while.
    Now I'm going to start doing 8 sets of 8 reps with the same weight, I'll start with 225. So I'll be incorporating strength with my endurance as well. When I get all 8 sets I'll move up to 10 reps on 8 sets then move up on the weight. What do you guys think? I'll still be doing 3 sets of dumbells and cables after that.

BullDogg20 is offline Member
    I think thats way too much flat benching, 5 sets should be you max, most people i know and my self only go for 4 sets.

it hink 8 sets will be overdoing it!!!!

still growin is offline Member
    only 8 sets flat and 3 sets db what? Incline, decline, flat? 14 sets is not too much for chest imo. I do a total of 1 sets for chest. 5 for flat, 4 for incline, 3 cables low, and 4 incline flys.

even on a lighter weight?

still growin is offline Member
    I pyramid up in weight. Try performing each rep slower. 5 seconds up, 3 seconds down. Shortening the rest between sets will aslso increase the intensity. This works for me.

BigMike J is offline Anabolic Member
    i don't think 8 is too much either. I got for 5 sets flat 5 sets decline and 5 sets incline works good for me. If i were you i would not go over 6 on one exercise but you know your body best.

i pyramid down each set to failure i try not to go over 7 at failure, but if i can get more i always go for it then make the proper adjustments for the next set.

I did my program for the first time tonight. I got 8 sets doing 8 reps on 245. I'll go up to 8 sets of 10 reps next chest workout and then move up in weight after that if I get it. I liked it...gave me a huge pump and burnt my muscle out big time. After that I did 3 sets of 6 reps on 100lb dumbells, then 3 sets incline cable flys and 3 sets standing cable crossovers. 17 sets in all. I'm only doing chest once a week and one muscle group per day. Working out 5 days a week now.

sd11 is offline Banned
    Rugby I don't see how this is productive in anyway. For example your doing 8 sets of the exact same weight, so your not training even close to failure until maybe your 7th and 8th sets. So sets 1-6 have little to no benefit to you. My personal training philosophy most closely mirrors some1 like Skip la Cour or Dorian. After your warmed up why waste any energy just go right to your heaviest possible 4-8 rep set and progress from that each week. In total I do about 10 sets for chest personally usually 2 sets of flat 4-6 reps followed by a drop set 2 sets of incline dumbell 6-10 reps 2 sets weighted dips followed by a drop to bodyweight 2 sets of cable crossovers 8-12 reps. Just my 2 cents good luck bro!

The reason I'm not going heavy from the beginning is due to my shoulder. I want to build that up first while at the same time getting lots of reps in. Sorry I thought I mentioned it earlier.

Grant is offline Member
    i agree with juice junkie, you guys are doing way too much, you didn't even mention burnout yet, yikes

Well I'll let you know how it turns out. My 7th and 8th sets are like burnouts anyway

Thread Information