wonderful world of oz,where juice is free,plentiful,sterile, and not toxic to the liver

I am an emotional wreck tonight b/c of this

Guys I just figured out that in spite or my reputation for having adequate knowledge of nutrition and the different aspect of it i may be wrong in some advice that I give out. I have always reccomended to people who are bulking to consume 1.5-2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight but after doing numerous searches and even going to other bodybuilding web sites I have found different opinions on this but never a straight answear. I have heard 1.5-2 grams per pound of bodyweight and also 1.5-2 grams per pound of lean bodyweight. Now to the guys with 6% b/f or less the difference is minimal but think about guys like me with 16-19% b/f, the diff could make or break so someone please give me insight on this

arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member
    We should delete all your posts for the bad advice.

Seriously, the more the better when bulking... I don't see how that could make a difference.

wonderful world of oz,where juice is free,plentiful,sterile, and not toxic to the liver
    yes I am ashamed, i need to repent. i deserve nothing less then victorian guy telling me about the inconsiderate asshole who once gave him bad advice,that would surely make me learn the severity of my mistake

bump, no one has a straight answear about this, atleast tell me wether you go bye # per pound of bodyweight or per pound of lean body weight.

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    I just go for 2g per Lb of body weight I'm trying to achieve regaurdless of BF%.

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    Very hard for your body to convert protien into fat and be stored that way. So i always go for 2g per lbs of total bodyweight when dieting and bit less when bulking, but when bulking i get more calories from carbs/fats. I am one of those 14-16% ppl when i start my contest prep. and always eat 2g per lbs, low carbs and get down to 5-7% range is 16 weeks without too many problems.

superbeast is offline Member
    Let's be realistic with this topic. Does it really make that big of a difference? You are giving a huge variation in your recommendation anyway. 1.5 to 2 is a difference of 100 grams of protein in a person that weighs 200 lbs. Not a very specific recommendation. Now let's say he has 25% bodyfat and he is using lean mass to figure this out. His range is 150x1.5 and 150x2 or 225-300. If he uses just total weight it is 300 to 400. So, either way, there is a huge variation. Once again, there is no right or wrong, but everyone has to play with it.

SB

Well maybe I have not been giving out bunk advice. And yes 1.5-2.0 is pretty big difference however when bulking I reccomend 1.5 and when cutting usually 2.0 so that is where the difference came from bro,sorry for the misunderstanding.

Sauceboy is offline New Member
    I just eat a good bit of protein with every meal and since I am basically doing low carbs it all basically protien and this works for me. I have found in my many years of doing this that my body works best when I don't over eat and get all bloated and fat. I use to read all the mags and think I have to eat all dam day and this did get my big and strong I was a little bloated and carrying around a little too much fat i believed. So now I put on quality size and still look good while bulking.

All BTW I have been clean for over 2 years and just got back on and was 5'8 at 217 now after like 2 months of being on I am a solid 205 and looking much bigger. See cut all the fat and gained muscle in the right places!
    Last edited by Sauceboy; 10-24-2002 at 12:54 PM.

MeatHead03 is offline Associate Member
    i eat around 1.5 gs per lb, worked for me thus far....BUT thats only during bulking

gettinthere is offline Associate Member
    Look, I know that 90% of the people on this board will tell me this is way off base, but eating 400 grams or more is overkill unless you are freakin Arnold in his prime. I am 225lbs, and gain very nicely from eating around 200-250 per day. That includes shakes. The daily allowance for a NORMAL person is only around 50g. Granted, bodybuilders aren't normal people, and steroid users are even less normal in this respect, but I truly feel that if you want to eat more than 8X the recommended dose you are wasting your money because it's going to just keep you on the toilet longer. I don't think most people's bodies are capable of absorbing 400 + grams a day. Ridiculous.

go ahead, flame away. but you can't flame my results from 200g/day. I'm 6'5" 225, and 12%. I am one of the few members who can probably say they have reached their goal. I'm finally where I want to be and now I all I have to worry about is maintenance!

bigtraps is offline Member
    I don't know how you guys can really take in 1-2 gr per lb. body wieght every day. If I eat even 100gr a day. My ass explodes. Today all i had was one scoop chocolate fudge Whey mixed with skim.(breakfast)
    One thin sliced steak for lunch. All afternoon my ass was terrible. That was probably only 70gr total

MMA Junkie is offline Junior Member
    Originally posted by bigtraps
    I don't know how you guys can really take in 1-2 gr per lb. body wieght every day. If I eat even 100gr a day. My ass explodes. Today all i had was one scoop chocolate fudge Whey mixed with skim.(breakfast)
    One thin sliced steak for lunch. All afternoon my ass was terrible. That was probably only 70gr total

Protein gives me gas too.

Rickson is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I make it simple. I consume as much protein as is possible without throwing up. I generally get 500 grams when bulking and 350 grams when cutting. Like Silverfox said it takes a lot for protein to convert to fat even with excess calories and the positive nitrogen balance is worth the risk.

OGPackin is offline Anabolic Member
    Hey bros, i just read in Muscle Development its 1.5g of protein per body weight.

OG

Grant is offline Member
    put your guard down gettinthere, don't be so defensive, you don't know who has reached their goals or not and that comes off as an attack to other members which is unprovoked

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    It depends on the athlete's goals, body composition, diet needs, training experience and current routine...

McBain is offline Member
    Originally posted by st82hellnbak
    yes I am ashamed, i need to repent. i deserve nothing less then victorian guy telling me about the inconsiderate asshole who once gave him bad advice,that would surely make me learn the severity of my mistake
    Bro don't worry about it. We all make mistakes, it's what you do with the mistakes to correct them that defines who you are. Coming out and admitting you made a mistake takes balls. You have no reason to feel bad.

McBain is offline Member
    Also just wanted to throw this into the discussion, I've read that over time athletes' bodies become more efficient at utilizing protein so you actually need less over time.

GrapeApe is offline New Member
    What really Matters is, You have to do what works for you. Everyone is different. If your on the Shitter all day your not working out.Hahaha.
    Not everyday but most days 2-2+ grams is working for me lots of food and shakes.
    Im 5'6" 225 looking forward to 240.

Thread Information