LewdTenant is offline Respected Member

chat online with 128bit encryption

you can use Trillian which is a universal IM program to chat with 128 bit encryption via the AIM interface. you need to sign up an AIM ID to do this. you and the person you are chatting to must both be set up for 128bit encryption and both be chatting on the AIM interface. If you do not see the padlock symbol in the window you are chatting in, then the connetcion is not secure. it is a little tricky to explain, I had the info on another board and it was erased so I will need to retype it. luckily one web site has tips that i posted but they do not explain how to use the 128bit encryption feature.

I'm not saying the 128bit encryption is foolproof,unhackable,etc. but it is better than chatting about whatever you have been on your IM clients.

at the very least you can have a universal IM that gets a new version updated about once every 3-6 months and AOL and MSN seemed to have stopped trying to blcok the efforts of a universal IM. keep your old chat clients as backups though.

with Trillian you can see AOL,AIM,ICQ,IRC, MSN, and yahoo Instant message users on one interface.nice for keeping track of all your buddies.

so...download it here and read reviews and tips on usage/setup.

http://www.cnet.com/software/0-55663...3.html?tag=txt

...get info on making all the clients secure
    http://www.cnet.com/software/0-55663...62-8-9835148-7

Lewd

Please go through every client and make it is secure. especially deleting the logs. I actually went into the Trillian folder and deleted the LOG FOLDER

Lewd

setting up trillian for 128bit encrytption

You can only see if it is working by chatting to someone who has it set up already. if you do not see the padlock in your chat window, then your session is not secure. Set up is very easy now since CNET took the time to explain how to set up security as you already did above. my explanations where not as good.

Ok you have set up security on all the chat client updated the buddy lists and are now ready to setup you Trillian for 128 bit encryption:

0)This is the last step. So make sure you have done everything above first

1)press the OPTIONS BUTTON that looks like a blue/green circle button that looks like a globe

2)Go to PREFERENCES

3)click on the tab for CHATTING SERVICES->AIM->MISC

4)there are 2 boxes in the SECURE IM area. ALL boxes should be checked.

5)click on APPLY then click OK

Lewd

http://www.aim.com/get_aim/express/aim_expr.adp

you do not need to download AIM you can go here after you have your AIM ID to set up your contact list. remember you can only have a secure sesion via trillian when you see the padlock icon

Lewd

kreper69 is offline Associate Member
    personally i use trillian already. you can set up multiple accounts with this chat client. i use it for aim, and yahoo at the same time.

dbm
    dbm is offline New Member
    GAIM + OTR ("off the record", a plugin), is another avenue that offers 128bit encryption. AND it's open source!

gaim.sourceforge.net
    cypherpunks.ca/otr/

Thread Information