Thread: I need speed!

Think Big is offline New Member

I need speed!

i am interested in lowering my time in the 40 yard dash if i can get it down to a 4.4 that would be great i run a high 4.6 now, what is the best AS to take for inproving quikness speed and power

"What time did you say your husband gets off work?"

partyboynyc is offline Anabolic Member

do you do plyometrics?

in college i played both basketball and ran the 110HH and highjumped so plyometrics were a staple of our preseason and continued all season long.drugs aren't always teh best way to cut times.stimulating muscle fibers w/ plyometrics will drop10ths of seconds.those muscles fibers are stimulated through learned behavior, not just chemicals.i competed in both sports since i was 6 and when i hit 14, reaction response training started.i had excellent coaches though and most coaches don't stress it enough or at all.put in teh time and suprise yourself.

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    Think Big,
    It sounds like you're looking for Winstrol . Do some research on its effects and side effects (its not exactly kind to your liver). Over three quarters of all IAAF doping cases involving sprinters involve the substance Stanozolol (Winstrol).

partyboynyc is offline Anabolic Member

oh i know he's looking for winstrol

winstrol is rampant in the IAAF, but none of those people are competitive at that level because of winstrol alone.hell i use it still, but the foundation is built on solid training principle, just like BB.you can shoot winny til it's all your veins pump and you still won't have class A competitive speed wo/ solid speed drill training.i'm not talking about "oh, i did my speed drills w/ the team and now i'll be fast soon".i'm talking intense attention to detail mechanical response training.when i coach hurdlers or sprinters, it's is literally, 50% of the workload.sprinters/hurdlers do their training workouts to enhance leg turnover,breathing,etc, but reaction time is what makes great athletes.

big_guy is offline Associate Member
    hey think big. i have never used AS before ( but im bout to do my first cylce in a couple of weeks). But I ran a 4.40 in the 40. i have ran track since 5th grade. (i also ran a 10.8 in the 100 meters in high school)... and with my experience, i will have to agree with the guy from NY... work on plyos and form... to get your time down do this... 3 times a week, do plyos, and agility drills ( the 5-10-5 is good)... also do calf raises with heavy weight twice a week. and one of the most important things, get your quad the ham ration up (ratio of strength between your quads and hamstrings).. the gluts and hams are your "speed" muscles in sprinting, so they should be the primary target of your training. if u have super stong quads, and not strong hams, then u will run slow, .. just a fact. Do Hamstring curls 2-3 times a week. and like NY said, muscle memory will take over. on Ham curls take about 60% of your max and do "burn outs" and do every rep AS FAST AS U CAN!!! and remember to work your calves, they give u the EXPLOSIVE start that u need in the 40... also running DOWN hills help to get your turn-over faster... and one more thing, im no retard, u are wanting to get your 40 time better bcuz u are most likely a high school football player. And if u are still in High school, then u are too young to use AS. It will hinder your growth potential. wait till u are 20 years of age to start AS.

this is what my speed workouts consisted of during high school....works very well

Monday and Wed. - Plyos (jumping on and off small boxes {10-12 inch high} as fast as u can.. steppin on and off as fast as u can... the the jumpin and stepping drills at least 3 times a piece). Then go outside and do the 5-10-5 drill at least 4 times and as fast as u can, with no more than 20 sec rest between ... then hit the gym and do 3-4 sets of calve raises ( the weight should be fairly heavy and u should do the reps as FAST AS U CAN)

Tuesday and Thurs. - 3-4 sets of squats at 8 reps.( use about 60% of max, go ALL THE WAY DOWN, and go down slowly, when u reach the bottom, explode up AS FAST AS U CAN.) Next do hamstring curls, 3-4 sets (use about 60% of max and do a burn-out on each set, and do EVERY REP AS FAST AS U CAN)

Friday, do some easy joggin. this is do rid any lactic acid from your mucles.

Saturday. Sprints, about 95% almost full speed, * A good runner can control his running and knows when he is at 90% or 95% without goin all out...... get on the football field or track and run 60 yards. u will do 2 sets of 6 60 yards dashes ( run a 60, then another, untill u have done 6 of them, then take a break before you next set.) Take no more than 30 Seconds rest between each dash, and no more than 3 minutes between the sets.

This should help u out GREATLY. considering it is football season right now, u probly won't be able to do this program untill the off-season, but trust me it works. I used this routine during the summer months and it cuts your time down and gets u in shape for the upcoming season.

And a good thing to remember is that Strong Quads don't make u faster, strong hams/glutes do... So don't try to get super strong quads, as they will slow u down.. you're quad to ham ratio needs to be AT LEAST .7 (example, if a man's max on leg extensions is 200 lbs. and his max on hamstring curls is 140, then his ratio is .7 *or 70%*)

Peace, and good luck

Think Big is offline New Member
    thatnx for the advice and for the record im not in high school i played high school ball and didnt play college i'm thinking about trying out for an overseas team. right now im 5'9 205 looking to go to 220 lean and fast. thanx for the advice guys i'll incorparate plyos into my workout

Thread Information