Sanjuro is offline New Member

Wink Bodybuilding program

Hi there,

I am seriously giving much consideration to devoting a large amount of my time to bulking up and increasing my physical strength as I do look forward to a challenge, mental or otherwise, but mostly because I am just over 6ft tall and weigh only a 170 pounds. My plan is to start by focusing on my diet first, and, with a bit of luck, money and experimention, try to increase my daily calorie intake to around 4,500. Once I am at the stage where I am 100% confident that I'm eating enough to put on weight, the next phase of my plan is to visit the gym 3 to 4 times a week. This part shouldn't be too hard for me, as I use to be a regulary at the gym a few years ago and do I get a real buzz from a good days workout. Admittingly, my goal has changed quite a bit since then, so it could well be harder training for muscle rather than just fitness. Is it true that bodybuilders train at least 6 times a week for 2 - 3 hours?

Hopefully after a few months of intense physical training, I will be prepared enough to hit the big leagues and start taking D-bol or Deca - Durabolin on a regulary basis. Ultimately my objective is to put on about 35 -50 pounds in one year (or just less than a pound a week). Does that sound realistic? To me, one pound a week doesn't sound that much, particulary when some of you are talking about adding an extra 4-6 pounds a week to your weight.

Well, if you have gotten this far, thanks for reading. Hope to see you at the bodybuilding contests. Bye.
    Last edited by Sanjuro; 11-16-2002 at 08:55 AM.

Hi,
    It's me again, the man with the plan. Do you know where I can find information about diet programs that are designed with bodybuilding
    in mind. Are protein suppliments worth taking?

See ya

hammerhead is offline Member
    You're absolutely right in focusing on your diet first. You'll do yourself a favor if you hit the gym while you're doing it.

Your weight gain goals may or may not be realistic. Some people - the genetically superior people - which is most of the people on this site - can think about going to the gym and get bigger. Most of the replies you'll get on this thread will tell you that those goals are easy to hit if you do everything right yada yada and if you don't succeed then you're not eating enough yada yada. And they're absolutely right! - for people like themselves. No flame intended here.

But if you're like me - the thin hard-gainer - which i'm thinking you are - you're over 6' tall and weigh 170lbs - that's on the thin side - and you said you've worked out before right? - so you're most likely a genetically skinny person - a hard-gainer - then steroids and the right diet gets us to where those people are without either one. Personally - I could not gain 35 pounds in one year even with the right diet and steroids. Not unless i'm willing to take on 25lbs of fat - which i'm not.

If you're not a hard-gainer then you should be able to achieve most of your goals without steroids. In fact - wyh don't you consider giving it a try naturally and use steroids as a last resort?

You'll just have to figure out what works for you and do lots of it. How much fat are you willing to put on versus muscle?

I cannot imagine life without protein shakes. I'd have a real hard time getting the protein I need (350gms/day) any other way.

Good luck. If you want more specific help give us some stats. Age, experience, what are you eating now? When you do gain weight - do you tend to put on a lot of fat? How much do you have to eat to gain weight?
    Last edited by hammerhead; 11-16-2002 at 09:46 AM.

Hi again,
    Well, I'm beginning to have serious doubts about my ability to achieve my objectives. I'm not really the sort of person that can put weight on easily, as you have so rightfully deduced, but hopefully that might have more to do with undereating than genetics. My goal is to bulk out, and if that means putting on fat rather than muscle, then so be it. They say that HGH are very good for people with bad genes? Is that true? I do really want to reach the 200 pound mark.

Tell me Hammerhead, how many calories do you eat a day?
    Last edited by Sanjuro; 11-16-2002 at 10:01 AM.

hammerhead is offline Member
    Reading back on my first post i've decided that I owe everyone an apology - especially you. Let me put things in perspective here - i'm a 36 year-old hard-gainer - i've already pushed about 15 lbs above my natural limit on steroids - the idea of me getting another 35 lbs on top of this in one year at my age is - well - somewhat optimistic. But that may not apply to you or anyone else for that matter.

Let me give you some more applicable words of encouragement: when I was 31 I gained about 25 or 30 lbs in less than a year without steroids. I did it by eating enough of the right stuff and working out hard. Very hard. You can do it too. Especially since you're willing to take on some fat. Gaining muscle and keeping the fat off is hard. Gaining both is very easy to do.

I eat about 4500 calories a day here lately. I eat about 450 gms protein, 450 gms carbos and less than 100 gms fat. Round figures.

How much will you need? Figure it out. If you eat too much you'll gain too much body fat. Don't eat enough and you won't gain anything. Find a happy medium and stick with it.

I posted this on some other thread a week or so ago - i'm pasting it in here as a sort of a beginners diet.

Try this: a protein shake every morning as soon as you get out of bed. Shoot for 60 grams of protein per shake.

For each of breakfast, lunch and dinner try to get 100 grams of mostly complex carbohydrates. That's like 8 slices of bread or 4 potatoes. Try to eat at least one pound of lean meat every day. Keep the sugar down. Avoid fats like mayo, butter, salad dressings, chips, candy. Nuts are a good source of fats. Avoid fried foods. Gravitate towards baked and grilled.

Get another protein shake in you at bedrime.

You're trying to get 400 grams of carbohydrates a day. 300 grams of protein and no more than about 80 grams of fat. That's only 3500 calories a day. If you're not getting that minimum amount then you're wasting your time in the gym and you're sure as hell going to waste the gear if you take any.

Here's one day's worth of eating to serve as an example:
    6:00AM - protein shake
    8:00AM - 2 bagels, fruit juice
    12:00AM 3 roast beef sandwiches (no mayo) + beef stew with rice
    5:00PM 16oz grilled chicken breast, 9oz pasta with marinade and 2 cups steamed brocolli
    8:00PM nuts and fruit
    10:00PM protein shake

Just an example of what I was eating when I packed on the weight, I found that the total calories wasn't as important as the quality of the calories.

Thanks - your last post has been very inspiring, as well as informative.

Thread Information