projectsherv is offline Associate Member

cardio before or after?

ok quick question, about to start my next cycle, so quick question im trying to cut off a bit of fat before i start, im doing 45min cardio, should i do this before or after my workout? please do not say on an empty stomach because I am sure that on an empty stomach causes catabolism. any advice is appreciated.

Rickson is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    On an empty stomach in the morning. Sorry if you didn't want to hear it.

BigMike J is offline Anabolic Member
    Originally posted by Rickson
    On an empty stomach in the morning. Sorry if you didn't want to hear it.

On empty stomach, chomp down some amino's before you start say aboot 3 gs.

tt333 is offline Senior Member
    In the morning or before your workout.

en1222 is offline Member
    If you do it after you workout or at night is it no good?

CarbonCopy is offline Member
    I would say it depends on what you goals are, but I've read that you burn more cals if you do cardio then lift weights. This is part of my current training program and it seems to be working. I do HIT style cardio then full body super set weight training. I've been doing this for 4 months (my body is a slow responder) and I am starting to see some nice changes. Just be careful you don't over train using this system. If I feel run down or real sore I'll give my body an extra day to heal. If I have told you wrong other bro's please add your .02. In fact I am open to new idea's! Thanks!

HIT and Super set training 4x per week:

HIT style training 30-45 mins
    take an extra day (or 2) off if needed
    go as heavy as you can with the weights
    High protein, low carbs
    multi vit ED
    6 meals 1 every 4 hours
    add whatever supps you like

Peace,
    CC

djdjdjddjon is offline Anabolic Member
    well, if morning isnt an option (although it is the best), do it AFTER you lift, it only makes sense bro, 2 reasons that are very obvious, 1.) your going to have your most endurance/strength/power before you do cardio, why? because you havn't expended any calories doing tetious cardio, 2.) because once you have expended these calories/energy lifting, you can go burn more, and the odds are that youve used all your blood glucose up, so where is your body going to get more energy? you got it, fat...

good luck!

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    Originally posted by djdjdjddjon
    well, if morning isnt an option (although it is the best), do it AFTER you lift, it only makes sense bro, 2 reasons that are very obvious, 1.) your going to have your most endurance/strength/power before you do cardio, why? because you havn't expended any calories doing tetious cardio, 2.) because once you have expended these calories/energy lifting, you can go burn more, and the odds are that youve used all your blood glucose up, so where is your body going to get more energy? you got it, fat...

good luck!

Spot on right here. I myself cannot do cardio in the morning. After workout and before any replenishment of nutrients. Lifting will burn up the glycogen in your blood stream and the cardio afterwards will drop the fat. If you workout without having depleted glycogen levels, you'll have to increase your cardio sessions by 20min. just to burn that blood sugar up before fat loss takes place

babi is offline Associate Member
    ccopy could please tell me how is your progress coming along,i am on exactly same kind of training 3 weeks in i see tiny bit of cuts,i havent gained any mass i dont think ,but my strength has gonne up like in a cycle.i also do my cardio,legs, forearms in other word what i find pain in the ass first b/c if i leave for last i will end up not doing them half the time.anyway i hope cardio first aproach works.

projectsherv is offline Associate Member
    Someone help me out on this (Rickson perhaps), i just took a personal trainer cert. course and the instructer was explaining that cardio on an empty stomach causes catabolism and is not a good idea, being that you havent eaten in about 8 hours. He was pretty big, used to be in comps and knew his sh1t. is he full of it?

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    Originally posted by projectsherv
    Someone help me out on this (Rickson perhaps), i just took a personal trainer cert. course and the instructer was explaining that cardio on an empty stomach causes catabolism and is not a good idea, being that you havent eaten in about 8 hours. He was pretty big, used to be in comps and knew his sh1t. is he full of it?
    No,he is right. But to suffeciently cut in a short period of time, you have to give up muscle, their is no way around it. The trick is to manipulate your diet along with implementing a good trainin/cardio workout. Now with diet and training in order you could do a graduall increase in muscle and a graduall decrease in fat, but I'm talking years of conditioning instead of drastic physique changes

Rickson is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    No he is not necessarily wrong there is a small amount of catabolism associated with cardio as well as dieting. The question I guess is if you don't want to get any catabolism why are you doing cardio. If you want to burn fat then you don't want a large store of glycogen to burn before you begin to burn fat. The morning cardio allows for the most efficient and longest lasting ability for the body to burn fat (especially when using sprints). If you then have a high protein diet the loss of muscle should be minimal. Look at it like this Ronnie Coleman experiences some catabolism when he cuts from 320lbs to 260lbs for the olympia but he looks better and keeps the majority of his muscle. If you want to get ripped you are going to lose some muscle. The key is to stay in positive nitrogen balance and keep muscle loss as minimal as possible while getting the most fat burning bang for your buck. If you are on AAS catabolism will not really be an issue as long as protein is high.

Originally posted by babi
    ccopy could please tell me how is your progress coming along,i am on exactly same kind of training 3 weeks in i see tiny bit of cuts,i havent gained any mass i dont think ,but my strength has gonne up like in a cycle.i also do my cardio,legs, forearms in other word what i find pain in the ass first b/c if i leave for last i will end up not doing them half the time.anyway i hope cardio first aproach works.

Baby - sorry I took so long to respond, but to answer your question I am 3 months in and using my training method I can tell you it’s defiantly working! This isn't a miracle diet or magic bullet workout, but the fat is coming off evenly, and at the same time my strength is better then when I started my training. The cuts are coming in and for the first time in a LONG time I am starting to see the 6 pack form. Nothing about this training or diet is easy for me, but I know it’s going to pay off. And not to mention I am feeling a lot healthier, which for me is the main point of exercising. Also, the reason I do my cardio before I lift is because I do a lot of plyometrics and from everything I've read you run a greater risk of injury if you lift weights then train using plyometrics. Hope this helped!

Peace,
    CC

wrstlr69sdnl is offline Senior Member
    I always do my cardio in the moring heard you burn alot more in the morning

babi is offline Associate Member
    thanx cc,but i was wondering what kind of diet are u using for this kind of training?i havent adjust my diet to this kind of training yet maybe i may get greater gains if i do.one more thing how long do you think one can succefully run this hit programm before it stops giving results?

Originally posted by babi
    thanx cc,but i was wondering what kind of diet are u using for this kind of training?i havent adjust my diet to this kind of training yet maybe i may get greater gains if i do.one more thing how long do you think one can succefully run this hit programm before it stops giving results?
    Babi - for my diet I am going high protein low carbs and taking in around 1900 - 2200 cals split up into 6 meals per day. As far as how long you can run the HIT style training and still see results would all depend on your skill level and training history. In other words how advanced you are physically. I personally like to keep the same routine for 12-18 weeks, but depending on how I feel and what my results are I might change it up sooner. I believe that HIT style training should be cycled to prevent your body from adapting to the stress. In my training I am getting ready to change the routine to more of a circuit style for the cardio and then lift weights in the evening. If you are new to HIT style training I'd say you should see a lot of improvement in the first month. I really like plyometric exercise because its fun to do, easy to incorporate them into a HIT style workout, and very challenging at the same time. As always I am open to diet suggestions from the other bros. Hope this helped! ļ

This guy has some good tips on diet and how to calculate your caloric intake -
    http://www.fatlosstips.com

Great site that explains how to do different plyometric exercises -
    http://www.exrx.net/Lists/PowerExercises.html
    Last edited by CarbonCopy; 12-12-2002 at 10:18 AM.

Thread Information