m16a2 is offline Senior Member

Adderall and gains

I'm prescribed adderall xr (extended release) for adhd symptoms. It works like a charm for me, but I am wondering if anyone else here has been taking this med regularly? I stopped for 3-4 days while on vacation, and noticed my appetite and weight rise. I gained 3 lbs in a couple of days, while I have been a hardgainer my entire cycle. Now that I'm back in school (and not drinking) and taking the adderall again, I have lost a few lbs and am steady at 199 lbs.

I am satisfied with my gains, but I'm wondering if its possible that adderall is limiting the weight I am gaining? Keep in mind that there are definite size,strength, and muscle increases. Also, I don't let stimulant treatment limit my eating habits. I eat enough calories, often enough, and supplement a good amount of protein in addition to that.

If adderall can limit WEIGHT gains, why do you suppose that is? Increased metabolism, or something else?

djdjdjddjon is offline Anabolic Member
    strange that you brought this up, my friend and I just took some adderall yesterday morning to make it fun at work (lol), anyways, adderall will hinder your gains, no doubtt about it...if you look at the ingredient list on your bottle it will say 'amphetamine salts', which obviously is amphetamines once the salts are removed from the compound, and any liver neck that watches mtv and saw their speed special (methamphetamine) knows that amphetamines can make you lose weight rapidly not to mention amphetamines have been and are prescribed to people with weight problems (1. for the fat burning effeect 2. for the appetite supression), if you can force yourself to eat or at lerast get proper nutrition while taking the stuff you shouldn't be affected too negatively, i notice a lot when i take it i have super appetite supression, but i also take it on cutting cycles for these specific reasons, good luck bro

djdj, like I said in my original post, I havn't allowed this to stop me from eating like a horse. If I'm not hungry, I force myself to eat. HONESTLY though, after being on it for about a month, with discipline of eating religiously, even if I was not hungry, my appetite kicked back up. I get very hungry, and can eat a good amount of food. There isn't a very noticable difference b/w when I take adderall, and when I don't.

True, amphetimines/stimulants can be used for weight loss/appetite control, but we are disciplined body builders, and if you can't remember to eat to make your gains, then we probably won't keep the gains anyways. It sounds so cheesy -- like everytime I hear NPR or the news talk about the "justice team" (UN) -- but its true.

djdjdjddjon is offline Anabolic Member
    bro, i was just giving you the stuff that i know trying to help a brother out...glad you can make yourself eat (i myself lose appetite when taking the stuff), good luck with it...

djdj, and you were absolutely right about what you said. Thanks for the reply. Also, the adderall you took, was it XR or regular? The regular is just like speed, but the XR is very different. The goal with adhd treatment is to always use the effective least dosage, so the xr is the equivalent of taking like 1/4 the dose, through an 8 hour period. Takes away the fun from it, but also reduces the chance of abuse, unless I take three of them! Then I will be speedy for 8 hours!

Muscle_4_Hire is offline Associate Member
    it does decrease appetite, so unless you have some weed to smoke to counter that, cant say much besides take less

Captain_test is offline Associate Member
    Even if you eat though, Speed increases your metabolic rate. And makes your heart pump faster..etc. So you do burn more calories while on it, even if you're eating right

Thread Information