tryin2getbig is offline Junior Member

pulled my back (prednisone)

Well yesterday at the gym i was doing shoulder presses with 120lb dumbbells and all of a sudden my neck all the way down to my ass cracked. It was so painful. i made sure i dropped the dumbbells and then i tried to stand up and couldn't feel my left leg from the waist down. So my friend drove me to the hospital right away and about 10 minutes later i was hooked up to an IV getting morphine. After i was all drugged up the doctor wheeled my bed into the MRI room and I had an MRI done. From what the doctor said i have 2 slipped disks and my lower back is so swollen that it sticks out further then my upper back. It hurts like a bitch. The doctor says that it would be in my best interest to get surgury done because with a slipped disk they usually don't return to place (whatever that means.) So onto the point why i am really pist off. They gave me all these drugs to get through the weekend, Valium, Percocet, and Prednisone. Well i had no clue what prednisone was but then i found out that it was a steroid (not a good one) like cortisone that releases protein. Boy was i pissed after i took that. I wake up every morning weighing 220-223lbs. Today when i woke up i got on the scale and i weigh 215lbs. I am so pist since i am on my cycle so i have decided to stop taking the prednisone, i have enough stuff to take. But i have never had a better night sleep then last night from the morphine, valium and percocet. But the doctor says that he doesn't know when i will be able to go back to the gym again.

TeenPL is offline Banned
    the weight loss is mostly psychological
    I went on prednisone for a long period of time and weight stayed the same. Probably the fact that your depressed from being hurt is affecting your appetite.

Did yours come in a one week dose pack?

Man that sucks

Take it easy though, the lower back doesn't forgive abuses easily. I pulled my back mildly on monday at work... of all things lifting a damm tire that wasn't even that heavy (you'd figure we BB's would know how to lift properly...). It's been bugging me all week and has made me miserable at the gym.

I've lowered all my weights in which the lower back may be affected. I know that sucks but I don't wanna mess with mister lower back.

Red

IGF-1 is offline Associate Member
    hey bro actually the prednisone will make u very hungry, my pops is on prednisone right now, they prescribed it to him for an inflamation, hes always eating and swears he gets hungry every hour hes been on it for 3 months before he started he was a bit thin now he looks bulkier,since ur on steroids i think u could balance it out prettywell and keep gaining hopes this helps

Mr. Trenton is offline Associate Member
    Prednisone makes you gain weight, not lose it. I went on it a couple of years ago and I wasn't going to the gym at the time cause I was very very sick and from taking it I gained like 20 pounds of not good weight. The same thing happened with my grandmom, she takes it and has been taking it for a couple of years now and shes gained about 60 pounds from it.

yeah it is in a week pack...so the swelling goes down and then they want me to take another MRI. Yeah it is making me hungry but i just thought that would be from my cycle. I don't think that i am going to take it just because i don't want to release that much protein that i am working hard to retain from taking the test and deca . Anyways the doc said that i have to be layed up for a week so that is one week off my cycle, i just gotta keep eating to retain my gains. Anyways thanks for the info i'll let you know how things go.

McBain is offline Member
    Bro do not stop taking the prednisone. Getting better should be your first priority. Prednisone is not prescribed lightly so he probably had a damn good reason for prescribing it. IMO I would get a second opinion bro, my mom had a disc that was out of place in her back and they wanted to cut her up too. They told her she would never crew or weight lift again. Well she decided to manage it with stretching, regular massage, chiropractic work, healthy eating, positive attitude, and lots of research on her condition. Get a second opinion and then a 3rd and 4th. Surgery is serious shit and should be avoided if possible. It should be a LAST resort. Do you know your exact condition? Do a search on this webpage http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi for your condition. Search for the type of surgery they are doing and look at the success rates, alternative treatments etc.

Good luck bro and speedy recovery.

my back actually feels a lot better, but i think that is because i am all drugged up on the percocet and valium. I just look in the mirror and feel smaller and all i want to do is lay in bed all day....i haven't been eating well at all but i guess i'm allowed to do that a couple times or so. Anyways i'm not going to take it because my back is feeling better, but i will know for sure on Monday when i have to get another MRI done. Then i will go from there. Ohh well wish me luck!

McBain is offline Member
    I dunno bro I would strongly recommend taking the prednisone. Again it is a serious drug and doctors only prescribe it if you REALLY need it. It is not overprescribed and is usually very hard to get a scrip for.

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    Sorry to hear that bro!

Do you guys know why this happens? Was it just not your lucky day? Or did you maybe do some improper technique? Was it a recent upgrade in weights?

Damn, I can't stand injuries, the thought of it drives me insane! Hope you get better soon and hit the weights again!

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    Bro predisone will make you gain weight first off. Second it is an antiflamitorry (sp) wich will help ease the pain also aid in recovery. I've been on predisone for amost 3 years and have cycled and gained good wieght while on it. If you so worried about it have an extra protein shake to make up for it. But in the long run you are better off. How much are you going to gain on your cycle laid up in bed?
    If people can't tell your on steroids then your doing them wrong

McBain is offline Member
    you've been on prednisone straight for 3 years bro?!?! If so do you do anything to combat the degeneration of connective tissue associated with extended or repeated prednisone usage?

McBain what can i do for that?I've been trying to get off prednisone for a while. But it seems its the only medice thats works for me and my condition so i had no choice. But anyway any suggestions on what i can do?

bump

Thread Information