Bluewizza is offline New Member

salivary estrogen/progestrone testing

Ok I have made a good discovery today, that I can get my estrogen levels and progestrone levels from a saliva test. There are kits on the net for sale that claim to be the actual hormon saliva test kits. You see I will be going on a heavy cycle in a few months and I will take arimidex with it, so I want to keep track of the estrogen levels on a weeksly basis so I can see if i am using too much or too little of the arimidex. I cannot get estrogen blood tests done coz my doctor would not do it. I live in canada so all health testing is paid by the gov. so I have to have a good reason why I need to check estrogen levels. My basic qquestion is this: Has anyone heard of this saliva test kit? If so, is it easy to follow and measure the estrogen levels on you own or does a doctor have to do it? Also, is it possible to find it in health stores that sell medical supplies? This estrogen and arimidex issue is very important to me and I am trying very hard to find the answers. Hope you can help.

Bluewizza is offline New Member
    bump

SWALE is offline New Member
    Salivary hormonal testing is quite unproven and, IMPO, not reliable. You can, however, test hormone levels with a urine test, which can be done in the privacy of your own home.

rangerdudeleads is offline Senior Member
    Originally posted by SWALE
    Salivary hormonal testing is quite unproven and, IMPO, not reliable. You can, however, test hormone levels with a urine test, which can be done in the privacy of your own home.

Where do you get the kit to do it with?

Mastiff is offline Member
    Research Articles

Check out https://nubasix.com/(yu5o3155gnldrnit0pbqkhnq)/showproduct.aspx?siteid={FC0C6C1A-6668-11D6-94A3-0008C7CF9512}&ProductID=444&CategoryID=165

In Stock: Yes
    Price: $89.00

Test Name: Estronex™
    Description: Estrogen is a hormone that everyone makes and is categorized as one of the "sex hormones". Sex hormones like estrogen and testosterone are necessary to control the growth rate of most tissues in the body, like the rapid growth of breasts in girls and facial hair in boys, during puberty. In adults, both estrogen and testosterone continue to regulate tissue growth. Women have the most dramatic, periodic tissue growth requirements in the uterus in order to prepare for potential pregnancy. Under certain conditions, excessive growth of estrogen-responsive tissues leads to cancer. The most well known example is breast cancer in women. It may seem peculiar that a natural hormone is linked to the formation of a disease like cancer.

Our bodies make several forms of estrogen, some of which stimulate cancer production more than others. The main active forms of estrogen made in the sex glands are called estrone (E1) and estradiol (E2), which are subsequently modified by enzymes in the liver and tissues where estrogens are active. E1 and E2 are converted into other forms such as 16-alpha-hydroxyestrone (16-OHE1) and 2-hydroxyestrone (2-OHE1). New research is documenting how these metabolic by-products can be important markers for risk of cancer, especially of estrogen-sensitive breast and cervical tissues.

Preferential production of 16-OHE1 over 2-OHE1 promotes increased growth of cancer cells, as 16-OHE1 is considered an estrogen promoter. Two-hydroxyestrone protects from cancer production because of its anti-estrogen behavior. The ratio of 16-OHE1 to 2-OHE1 has been used as an indicator for breast and cervical cancer risk.

Estronex (2/16 OH Estrogen Ratio) tests urine for levels of the two metabolites and reports the 2/16 OH Estrogen Metabolite Ratio*. A low ratio has been associated with increased risk of cancer in estrogen-sensitive tissues. The good news is that this ratio can be corrected with dietary and nutritional modalities. The enzyme that forms the protective 2-OHE1 form can be increased by consuming certain foods or by using dietary supplements that contain the active compounds in the foods.

Interventions that increase the 2/16 OH Estrogen Ratio include the consumption of cruciferous vegetables from the Brassica family. Broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, brussel sprouts, rutabaga, kale, turnip, kohlrabi, collards and mustard. According to research in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA, 2001. 285(23): p.2975-7)
    postmenopausal women who consumed 1-2 cups pf brassica vegetables a day were found to have a 20-40% decrease in the risk of breast cancer. Cruciferous vegetables contain compounds that release indole-3-carbinol (I-3-C), which increases 2-OHE1 levels, which inhibits tumor growth.

Flaxseed, soy, and omega-3 essential fatty acids also have positive influences on the 2/16 OH ratio thereby discouraging breast cancer. Additionally, the use of the supplement form of I-3-C and Diindolymethane (DIM), a by-product of I-3-C, assists in normalizing the 2/16 OH ratio.

Follow-up testing 60-90 days after making consistent dietary changes will show how much the ratio has improved and allow you to adjust the intake of active foods and supplements. Testing the ratio also gives valuable guidance regarding avoiding the risks of estrogen hormone replacement therapy for women. The test is also being advised for men who have a family history or other reasons to be concerned about prostate cancer. Alterations in current medical or nutritional therapies should be discussed with your health care professional.

SWALE is offline New Member
    I checked out the guys at AAL Reference Laboratories, Inc. at a recent anti-ageing conference. Their stuff looks pretty good. If it's okay to pass on their contact info, so you all can get your hormones tested reliably at home with a urine sample, call 800/522-2611. BTW, I am in no way connected to them, other than the fact I am going to start using them.

Thread Information