Jarod is offline Associate Member

Question Are They Banning Ephedrine In The United States? Need Feedback Pronto

Hey bros.....I heard from someone that yesterday on the news they said that they are banning ephedrine....taking it off the shelves here in the united states because of too many people abusing it...say it ain't so!!!!!!!!

chinups Guest
    I have heard yes...

JasonNew-b is offline Associate Member
    In my house, with my wife and my kids...and my dog
    I heard this on CNN early this morning.........Who knows if it will go through though?

daem is offline Anabolic Member
    i wouldn't be surprised if it goes through...alot of the supplement companies like muscletech changed the formulas of their weight burners a few years back...when hydroxycut contained ephedrine it was very effective for me and i would cut up nice with it...however, when they changed the formula it didn't do anything but suppress my appetite. it sucks that these drugs are abused by people and taken off the market all because of side effects that occur in only a small percentage of users.

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    We (and i mean "us" not just bodybuilders) will continue to be anchored down by those unwilling to to use that funny little (and in some cases very little) mass of gray matter behind their eyes.

platinum is offline Associate Member
    Originally posted by BigGreen
    We (and i mean "us" not just bodybuilders) will continue to be anchored down by those unwilling to to use that funny little (and in some cases very little) mass of gray matter behind their eyes.

ROFL! Soooo well put.

Tankass is offline Senior Member
    I hear that certain places wont be able to carry it if they dont cover insurance that can cover wrongful death suites due to death from ephedrine based products... Just what I have been hearing

majorpecs is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    figures....sounds about fucking right!! mofo...why don't some of you smart bro's on this board run for congress?? damn, we need some representation!!

dizzle is offline Respected Member
    I heard this too, better stock up now if it works well for you. I've even seen ephedrine on a couple of source lists out there.

Mr. clean is offline New Member
    The guy at my local gnc told me they werent planning on restocking any of there supps. containg ephedrine an soon as this summer.

tolinka is offline Senior Member
    That is so unnfair. They are banning supplememts like this, whats next they gonna ban creatine, weight gainers protein for some mild side efects? I heard that there was a death occasion...yes true very bad...but the person taking it i think was over 50...

There alot worse side effects from perscreption medicine for exaple the one that im taking right now: Accutane...they have really bad sides such as: Nose bleeds, depression, joint pains(i have a post about that)...SUICIDES! but this medicine been on the market about 20 years correct me if im wrong. There alot more medicines like that out there...but the govermnet wont ban them, i dont think they should ban them, it peoples choice to use it or not.

Fucking beaurocrats!!!

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    This sucks, looks like one more supp that I will have to get black market. The Govt is great lets ban a supplement and thereby increase illegal drug traffic. FOOLS.

Pain

Sigmund Froid is offline Associate Member
    Actually it is because ephedrine is a precursor to methamphetamine production.

-SF

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    Originally posted by Sigmund Froid
    Actually it is because ephedrine is a precursor to methamphetamine production.

-SF
    I have also heard this. Heard it is a main ingred in Crank and also many people take it with XTC to increase the effects. Leave it up to the recreational drug users to screw everything up.

Pain

Doc M is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Yes, the news that you are all speaking of is unfortunately true. The politicians are indeed using this as a platform for their personal political agendas. DicR is correct in stating that peer reviewed medical journals do not portray ephedrine as a "Dangerous Chemical". Unfortunately, politicians will win the war on this with their distorted facts and soon this will be another banned substance.

What hurts us is the fact that Ephedrine is in fact the main ingredient in Meth production. The quantitative increase in the production and distribution of Meth has increased at a very alarming rate. This drug is not only in and of itself dangerous, but the production is a serious health and ecological hazard. Many larger cities now have specially trained "Clandestine Lab Teams" that deal with and dismantle these home based labs.

I do not think this a battle that we will win and the black market value of this drug will skyrocket. There are in fact deaths that are a result of ephedrine. In almost ALL of these cases however, the individuals had underlying conditions or medical issues that were the cause of death. Ephedrine simply acted as the catalyst, not the cause. When someone takes 5-7 times the recommended dosage, has a stroke or heart attack, then the drug is blamed not the person who chose to put the drug in their mouth. Go figure!! My advice is stock up now!!!

Doc M

GrowPhaster is offline Junior Member
    Ok, clear something up for me... Ephedrine, Ephedrene, Ephedra, Ma Huang (maybe some other names). All these are (more or less) the same right? All are being banned???????

Thanks!

Thanks Dick - Anyone know how long b4 the ban? Is there an approx date? I know the idea of banning its been tossed around for a while.

Maybe I'm wrong but I've seen real cheap prices on ephedra based stuff on the net. Could it be that legit stores want to get rid of it all before the ban?
    Last edited by GrowPhaster; 02-05-2003 at 09:26 PM.

Solrock is offline Member
    This is total fucking bullshit.

Good question GrowPhaster... when is this ban going into effect? I have to plan for this.

Shit.

Solrock

HeartDocMD is offline AR Medical Advisor

More Info....

DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES

Food and Drug Administration

21 CFR Parts 310 and 341

[Docket No. 95N-0205]

RIN 0905-AA06

Cold, Cough, Allergy, Bronchodilator, and Antiasthmatic Drug Products for Over-the-Counter Human Use; Proposed Amendment of Monograph for OTC Bronchodilator Drug Products

AGENCY: Food and Drug Administration, HHS.

ACTION: Notice of proposed rulemaking.

SUMMARY: The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is proposing to amend the final monograph for over-the-counter (OTC) bronchodilator drug products to remove the ingredients ephedrine, ephedrine hydrochloride, ephedrine sulfate, and racephedrine hydrochloride and to classify these ingredients as not generally recognized as safe and effective for OTC use. This action is being taken in response to a request from the U.S. Department of Justice, Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) to restrict OTC availability of ephedrine because of its illicit use as the primary precursor utilized in the synthesis of the controlled substances methamphetamine and methcathinone. This action is also based on new information that shows that the misuse and abuse of OTC ephedrine drug products has the potential for causing harm and on comments made by FDA's Pulmonary-Allergy Drugs Advisory Committee and the Nonprescription Drugs Advisory Committee on November 14, 1994. This proposal is part of the ongoing review of OTC drug products conducted by FDA.

[Key section of document]

Also....
    Since publication of the final monograph for OTC bronchodilator drug products, the agency's views about OTC ephedrine-containing bronchodilator drug products have changed for several reasons: (1) A large-scale diversion of OTC ephedrine-containing drug products to illicit use in the manufacture of the controlled substances methamphetamine and methcathinone, (2) new information that ephedrine may be unsafe for OTC use and has the potential for causing harm as a result of misuse and abuse, due to widespread and easy availability as an OTC drug, and (3) the consensus of FDA's Pulmonary-Allergy Drugs Advisory Committee and the Nonprescription Drugs Advisory Committee (the Committee) on November 14, 1994, that the use of oral ephedrine drug products as an OTC bronchodilator to relieve the symptoms of asthma can no longer be justified when the drug's potential for illicit use and misuse is considered.

HeartDocMD is offline AR Medical Advisor
    If the proposed ban does go through...stock up, and sell it for a HUGE profit...not MY advice...but its sounds good eh?

Doc M is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    It will be quite some time before this is put into effect. And yes, you will see a lot of stores getting rid of htere supplies so when the ban takes effect, they won't be left with a lot of worthless product. A good example is WalMart. Last week I was in the Pharmacy section and they had all of their bottles of Ripped Fuel Extreme on sale for 3$$ when it was regularly priced at 22$$.

As it comes closer to becoming put into effect, it will be in the news on a major scale. I would start the stock up efforts now if this is a drug you are especially fond of using!!

Doc M

Rumpster is offline New Member
    They are definitely banning nor-ephedrine, since it is used to make meth-amphetamine.

Thanks for all the info... Are we talking months OR years here? This REALLY sux big time. Ephedrine was one of the few things I thought I could count on with no probs. Oh well, yet another item we'll eventually have to find elsewhere. Who'd have thought !!

skinnyhb is offline Member
    at my local max muscle, i was talking to a guy and he was telling me that they are now carding people and prohibitiing the sale of ephedrine to minors. not a bad idea in my eyes, and they should have done that from the beginning, and maybe we wouldn't have run into a lot of the bad media hype from teens taking way too much and not knowing what they are messing with.

Big Rush is offline The Juice Man
    Is Xenadrine RFA-1 going to be banned? Is that the one with the ephedrine???

Xenadrine RFA is the one with ephedrine I beleive so yeah its gonna get banned! Xenadrine EFX is ephedrine free.

As far as I've heard RFA is better for losing weight & appetite suppressant...EFX is mainly just appetite suppresant only. Can anyone confirm that?

Dank1447 is offline Junior Member
    i think the ban is just over OTC ephedrine sold, not in supplements look..

"The FDA is also investigating whether to include in the ban traditional dietary supplements containing ephedrine and botanical versions of ephedrine, such as ma huang and Chinese ephedra.

When a product is marketed as a dietary supplement, it can avoid the rigid control that the FDA has over pharmaceuticals.

The FDA is expecting to receive scientific recommendations today to help it decide what action to take with the natural supplements. "

here is the link...

http://wildcat.arizona.edu//papers/90/6/06_1_m.html

Jarod is offline Associate Member
    This sucks...ephedrine was the one substance otc that i liked an now because some fucknuts decided to get themselves killed by od on it now we all get screwed

Big Rush is offline The Juice Man
    I've seen like 1000 ephedrine pille for around $50 on an international sources list before...it will still be available, but at what costs?

Also, isn't ephedrine already banned in good ole' Canada???

Thread Information