My chances of having genetic MPB are about 50/50. My Mother’s Father has a full head of hair but my Father is bald along with his Father and Brothers. I have started using Nizoral shampoo and a Saw Palmetto supplement in attempts to take a Proactive approach to hair loss acceleration on a cycle. They are mild and less aggressive approaches to fighting DHT but it appears some people experience almost the same results with Saw Palmetto as they do with Proscar. I know Proscar and Xandrox (or clone formula) would be more effective. I don’t want to use these unless I have to though. So things brings me to Saw Palmetto supplementation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

“Saw palmetto appears to inhibit 5-alpha-reductase, the enzyme that converts testosterone to its more active form, dihydrotestosterone (DHT). Saw palmetto also blocks DHT from binding in the prostate. Studies have used 320 mg per day of saw palmetto extract that is standardized to contain approximately 85% fatty acids.

A three-year study in Germany found that 160 mg of saw palmetto extract taken twice daily reduced nighttime urination in 73% of patients and improved urinary flow rates significantly. In European studies, 160 mg of saw palmetto extract taken twice per day treated BPH as effectively as Finasteride (Proscar®) without side effects, such as loss of libido.”
“Some research suggests that saw palmetto extract works at the site of androgen receptors on steroid sensitive cells. Research shows that saw palmetto does not have an effect on the plasma concentration of testosterone, dihydrotestosterone, or other hormones so systemic production of testosterone is maintained when taking saw palmetto. In contrast finasteride has been shown effective in reducing serum concentration of dihydrotestosterone. Saw palmetto seems to work locally at the actual site of hormone binding to receptors on cells. It apparently stops or at least reduces the receptor binding of androgens. It also locally inhibits 5 alpha reductase and 3 ketosteroid reductase and these enzymes are involved in converting testosterone to the more potent dihydrotestosterone (DHT). Saw palmetto extract may also act to reduce inflammation that is associated with benign prostatic hyperplasia by reducing immune cell production of stimulating cytokine chemicals.
These reports suggest that saw palmetto may be effective in treating androgenetic alopecia, however, no direct clinical trails have been conducted to define just how effective saw palmetto may be in treating pattern baldness.”

In research I have come across there are Many references to Saw Palmetto being a natural breast enlargement supplement for women.

“Saw palmetto is known to stimulate the production of prolactin, a female hormone that, among other things, promotes breast enlargement and milk production in breastfeeding women, says Tirun Gopal, M.D.”

Breast tissue enlargement in men is rarely ever mentioned in the research I have done. But when it is mentioned the likelihood is still stated as Rare – but how rare? And what factors could be present in those men that lead to it?
To sum things up – Is Saw Palmetto worth taking? Do you think there is much chance of an increase in breast tissue due to use? Is there any other downside to using it?