Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RW3333 is offline Associate Member

Do Steroids Shorten Your Life-Span?

I was wondering if any of you know if doing a cycle of steroids will shorten your life span?

Thanks!

_ripp3d_ is offline Junior Member
    If they do, it hasnt been proven yet.

Bvette is offline Associate Member
    Sure it could if you abuse it just like anything else. Drinking and other drugs etc... Just make sure you research all the risks.

RW3333 is offline Associate Member
    Both of you make sense. I was wondering specifically if doing one cycle of 500 mg of test and 400 mg of eq will shorten your life span.

upperhandy is offline Member
    400 mg eq would be a waste from what i have heard 600mg is the min for 16weeks

one cycle will not kill you

pavlenko is offline Banned
    thats like asking if you eat mcdonalds for 10 weeks will it shorten your life span...long term if you do 1 cycle in your life i dont think it would make a difference as much as other things, diet being key and how you treat your body = )

Bvette is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgbenz View Post
    Both of you make sense. I was wondering specifically if doing one cycle of 500 mg of test and 400 mg of eq will shorten your life span.
    What are your current stats? Plus most people don't take EQ for a first cycle. Guessing this is going to be your first cycle from your title. From what I hear a lot of people don't like EQ and takes awhile to kick in. Test is all you need for a first cycle.

wormwood is offline Associate Member
    They don't lengthen your lifespan.

LGM
    LGM is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wormwood View Post
    They don't lengthen your lifespan.
    Not to argue, but I don't think you can definitively say that either. I know a few people that used steroids to get into much better shape, and lost weight or improved their health that they may not otherwise have been able to do.

I think the real truth is probably somewhere in the middle, and depends on way to many variables to give a factual answer.

PC650 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by _ripp3d_ View Post
    If they do, it hasnt been proven yet.
    agree, and all depends on how you are using them. dosage and type im sure. if steroids do shorten lifes not too many bb from the old days have died.

Quote Originally Posted by LGM View Post
    Not to argue, but I don't think you can definitively say that either. I know a few people that used steroids to get into much better shape, and lost weight or improved their health that they may not otherwise have been able to do.

I think the real truth is probably somewhere in the middle, and depends on way to many variables to give a factual answer.
    Yeah there's some truth to that. They can encourage (an otherwise) healthy lifestyle. I was just conisdering the ill effects it can have on a blood profile, which cannot be a good thing. Also, nobody NEEDS steroids to lose weight or to get into great shape. And I doubt that somebody who is stuck at a plateau of 260 lbs at 10% bodyfat would lengthen his lifespan if he were to use gear and add an extra 15 lbs of muscle to their frame. Actually, aside from the ill consequences of the gear itself, the user is taking in more calories...which probably leads to a decrease in lifespan as a direct consequence of the added oxidation brought on by the metabolism of the extra calories.

dece870717 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    If abused AND necessary precautions are not taken then I would have to say yes. And by necessary precautions I mean getting regular blood work done to see if anything is out of control like hematocrit and hemoglobin getting too high which gives you very high risk of getting blood clot leading to heart attack and/or stroke. Also taking the proper supplements to keep liver, kidneys, prostate, cardiovascular system(especially the heart/cholesterol), and etc. healthy.

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    BBing and heavy lifting in general aren't conducive to long term health. Neither are our high protein, high calorie diets. If you want to live as long as possible, just do a bit of cardio and eat 1,500 cals a day of organic fruits and vegetables (maybe an exaggeration, but I'm just making a point).
    I assume that using gear responsibly very well may shorten my life expectancy a bit, but who the hell wants to be 90 anyway?

JinNtonic is offline Member
    Regardless of the answer.

IMO it isnt about the length of your life that's important.

Live it and enjoy it...

gregghowie is offline Junior Member
    Hey man

Hell what a post name!
    Hope I am not infringing on any rules here (not that I can see). But see if you cant watch this film, I happen to see the other day. Called Bigger faster stronger. See if you cant watch it for free on the internet or order the Dvd if you can find it for cheap somewhere. Not saying take the film as gospel but none the less an interesting watch. And a really must see type as well. And it adresses your topic and other misconcieved dangers about steroids as a whole from all angles from the user to the parent that had a child whom abused AAS. I thought it was really done well.

boz
    boz is offline R.I.P. T-Gunz Gone but, Never Forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonaparte View Post
    BBing and heavy lifting in general aren't conducive to long term health. Neither are our high protein, high calorie diets. If you want to live as long as possible, just do a bit of cardio and eat 1,500 cals a day of organic fruits and vegetables (maybe an exaggeration, but I'm just making a point).
    I assume that using gear responsibly very well may shorten my life expectancy a bit, but who the hell wants to be 90 anyway?
    X2

Absolutely true.

Although I would say that strength becomes a critical factor as we get older, that has nothing to do with actual lifespan.
    Last edited by wormwood; 08-23-2010 at 04:24 PM.

urbanbody is offline Member
    ITS not your lifespan thats affected. It's how well you feel during your lifespan! I have my 85 yro Gma on Test cream with estrogen along with my aunt and mother. My father is on Test now at 65 and feels like he did when he was 30. You will always get older but you can add hormones to make you feel young again aswell as look younger again. You get older with age but if you supplement with hormones and can look and start to feel yound again.

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    too many variables to consider

Research has shown that CR (calorie restriction) has positive effects on increasing your lifespan. It makes your cells tougher and more resistant to free radical and other damage. These are people who are eating like 1,000 calories a day.

However, since I don't like looking like I was just freed from Dachau I'll take my chances with my current lifestyle. I like to eat, and the lifting lifestyle lets me do that. I like being strong and big and the lifting lifestyle helps me do that. Ultimately plenty of guys have lived into their 90s and are still lifting. Strength doesn't fall off as much as you'd think with age. You'll have a harder time maintaining all your mass after 50, but TRT and HGH can solve that problem.

Ultimately I think quality of life counts for more than simply a long life. If I'm going to lose the ten years at the end, which are the adult diaper, can't remember my own kids names years, but I'll be in good shape and able to do what I want for the rest of my life then I consider that a success. You can have the last ten years. People from our generation are going to live to be well over 100 anyway. Look at our grandparents. They lived to be in their 80s, 90s, and a few rare exceptions 100. They all ate a diet modern medicine says will kill you by 40, all drank hard liquor, and most of them smoked. If doing all the right stuff means we'll still live to the same age then I say throw caution to the wind and live it up. I think it's more likely that we're going to live to be in the 100-120 range.

wrong thread
    Last edited by wormwood; 08-24-2010 at 12:14 PM. Reason: wrong thread

Sort of forgot my point there. Anyway, in response to the original question I would say yes, no, and maybe. Far, far too many variables to consider. Genetics come into play, environmental factors, diet, income level, etc. Simply impossible to quantify. People you'd never expect live to be over 100, and healthy people drop dead at 30 due to some unforeseen factor. When your numbers up its up. Until then make the most of today. I wouldn't base my decision to use or not use steroids on whether or not it might increase or decrease my life.

Unless you have very low natural test levels and are put on a trt dose or suffer from some other muscle wasting condition......anybody who says that anabolics are good for improving health and cause you to live longer is probably a little dumb.

I agree that taking steroids will not increase your life span, but you have to look at other contributing factors.

Most people who use steroids are in good physical shape, if not outright peak physical shape. That means they eat properly. A diet low in saturated fats and junky carbs (both of which can lead to disease). They take vitamins and antioxidants (both of which prevent disease and degenerative conditions). My guess is that they will typically live longer, or at least higher quality lives than the average joe. It's not the steroids directly; it's the lifestyle they go along with.

The real question is among top physical specimens do those who take steroids live longer, shorter, or the same amount of time as those who do not.

Quote Originally Posted by TKO Performance View Post
    I agree that taking steroids will not increase your life span, but you have to look at other contributing factors.

Most people who use steroids are in good physical shape, if not outright peak physical shape. That means they eat properly. A diet low in saturated fats and junky carbs (both of which can lead to disease). They take vitamins and antioxidants (both of which prevent disease and degenerative conditions). My guess is that they will typically live longer, or at least higher quality lives than the average joe. It's not the steroids directly; it's the lifestyle they go along with.

The real question is among top physical specimens do those who take steroids live longer, shorter, or the same amount of time as those who do not.
    Defenitely. I just have a hard time in believing that it could be anything other than shorter being as there are numerous negative side affects attributed to steroid use and about 0 positive ones.

Well, in fairness, the negative side effects are often exaggerated or intentionally misinterpreted. There is a distinct lack of sound, scientifically verifiable testing in the area using proper control of variables. Most "research" relies heavily on anecdotal information, small sample sizes, and a few tests done after the fact. Steroids have been vilified by the establishment, and truthfully it's been largely without just cause.

I'm not taking a stance one way or the other. I'd like to see some real research done, but the odds of that are slim to none.

Quote Originally Posted by TKO Performance View Post
    Well, in fairness, the negative side effects are often exaggerated or intentionally misinterpreted. There is a distinct lack of sound, scientifically verifiable testing in the area using proper control of variables. Most "research" relies heavily on anecdotal information, small sample sizes, and a few tests done after the fact. Steroids have been vilified by the establishment, and truthfully it's been largely without just cause.

I'm not taking a stance one way or the other. I'd like to see some real research done, but the odds of that are slim to none.
    Yeah it'd be a beast of a study to perform, if not near impossible. Not to mention the legal and ethical ramifications that the study designers would come under due to the administration of steriods to the studies subjects.

PC650 is offline Senior Member
    my doc told me today that steroids can contribute to prostate cancer... long term use of course

Agreed, but IMO if they started with a group who were going to use anyway that would circumvent that ethical issue. I mean what's safer: buying drugs on the street or getting them from a doctor who's going to be monitoring your health while you take them?

The real issue I think is that no doctor or scientist would risk his career and reputation on an experiment like that. The drugs are legal after all, so long as they are prescribed. I think they could skirt the legal issue if the study were properly designed. It's more fear than anything.

Jimmy.Boy is offline Junior Member
    \sometimes they can.. sometimes they can do the complete opposite.

Both sides have a strong debate.

Everyone is different and everyone will be effected differently

Quote Originally Posted by PC650 View Post
    my doc told me today that steroids can contribute to prostate cancer... long term use of course
    In theory I can see the link, as test leads to estro, and estro causes prostate tumors to grow. That's why they treat it with estro antagonists. However, I don't know if any real long term research has been done into this, or if its just an assumed link. Plenty of guys get prostate cancer every year without ever having touched steroids . Do they increase your risk factor, and by how much? My guess is that no one can say with any hard evidence to back it up.

Unless you have very low natural test levels and are put on a trt dose or suffer from some other muscle wasting condition......anybody who says that anabolics are good for improving health and cause you to live longer is probably a little dumb.
    I guess myself and millions of others are a "little dumb". However Testosterone has an anabolic affect and is considered an anabolic so please tell me how it doesn't help people live longer when depleted?

Quote Originally Posted by PC650 View Post
    Talk to a doctor who is educated on steroids . Testosterone abused can cause prostate cancer. Not enought testosterone can cause prostate cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanbody View Post
    I guess myself and millions of others are a "little dumb". However Testosterone has an anabolic affect and is considered an anabolic so please tell me how it doesn't help people live longer when depleted?
    I said that it does help you if you are depleted, hence the usage of the word "unless" preceding my statement.

"Unless you have very low natural test levels"...did you read that part?

Just to inform our government is conducting more and more and more research on anabolics mostly Testosterone and are finally seeing to good it can cause that is why Clinics are popping up and being able to make and sell these drugs. Other compounds were made up that just have anabolic affects much like dianabol not a natural hormone in the body.

I said that it does help you if you are depleted, hence the usage of the word "unless" preceding my statement.

"Unless you have very low natural test levels"...did you read that part?
    Ya missed that one. sorry . My bad

Ya missed that one. sorry . My bad
    ah no problem bro

Just to inform our government is conducting more and more and more research on anabolics mostly Testosterone and are finally seeing to good it can cause that is why Clinics are popping up and being able to make and sell these drugs. Other compounds were made up that just have anabolic affects much like dianabol not a natural hormone in the body.
    True, but for our purposes we typically want to maximize the anabolic effect and minimize the androgenic effect. Still, if we can get test legalized it would be a good first step toward putting control over the substances we put into our bodies back in the hands of the general public, which is where that control should rightly lie.

LGM
    LGM is offline Senior Member
    I'd like to see a study done between current users and lifespans of powerlifters vs. bodybuilders just to start. Comparing us "normal" folk is just to large to handle.

Quote Originally Posted by LGM View Post
    I'd like to see a study done between current users and lifespans of powerlifters vs. bodybuilders just to start. Comparing us "normal" folk is just to large to handle.
    That's too tricky to perform. They are separate populations with separate habits. One would have a difficult time attributing the differences in lifespans to ONE particular variable when there are many variables that it could be attributed too. The groups being compared need to be as similar as possible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information