juststarting is offline Junior Member

Cardio and keeping muscle question.

I have a question about doing cardio and keeping on muscle. I would like to get a little leaner and lose a little bodyfat %'s.Im currently 5'7 185 10% bf. I was wondering if I should do intense cardio once a week? Or something like medium cardio 3 times a week. Let me know what yall think. Thanks!

MIKE_XXL is offline SCAMMER
    I preffer low intensity cardio like walking for BF reduction and keeping muscle...4-5 times a week anywhere between 30-45 min each time works for me...XXL

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    mike I am glad you responded to this thread, I was just saying th other day to big dan or dan or whatever his name is that walking is fine. For some reason he thinks walking th tread mill is "bull shit"
    abstrack@protonmail.com

lxorl is offline Associate Member
    put the tread mill at full incline and just walk... i gurantee that you will be sweating and breating heavy in 10 minutes.... intense cardio burns some muscle...

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    Originally posted by MIKE_XXL
    I preffer low intensity cardio like walking for BF reduction and keeping muscle...4-5 times a week anywhere between 30-45 min each time works for me...XXL

I have to agree, walking on a treadmill at a moderate pace with a slight incline is all I need, anything else and I start looking really flat after a couple of weeks. The time is key, most people are like well I rather save my time and run for 20mins than walk for a boring 40mins, and still burn 300+cals. Well your body is going to use completely different energy sources for those 300+cals. I rather save the wear and tear on my joints and just walk and let my body dip into that nice little bodyfat store that I have going!! With those 40mins on the treadmill I ponder what I am going to give as responces on AR. haha

Pain

hypo.luxa is offline New Member
    I also use the low intensity aproach. I'm cutting for summer right now and I am doing 1 hour of low intensity in the morning, and 45min - 1 hour in the evening.

Iwan2bsolid2 is offline Senior Member
    the inclined treadmill is the best. I think low intensity cardio is best for muscle sparing. I try to keep my heart rate between 119 and 130 bpm. Walking on the incline tread also really tightens your arss.

Matt Foley is offline Member
    HIT training 3 times a week saves time

CarbonCopy is offline Member
    I love HIT style workouts, but I also like to mix things up and do tredmill 35-45mins fast walking. Like the other bros have said walking spares the most muscle. I love to watch people running top speed for 30 mins and the whole time I am thinking yeah you want to get lean, but all you are doing is eating away all your muscle. But whatever.. to each their own..

Peace,
    CC

Doc M is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Just Starting,

Your question is one that is often asked on this and other boards. Like all the other mebers have posted to you, running once a week is not really your best option. Your body will utilize different enrgy sources for this and you would be much better suited to do intense walking, biking, or an elliptical machine at moderate intensity. Personally, I do 20 min. or walking on an incline and then 20 min of biking and it keeps me pretty lean and I am 32 yrs old. 3-4 times a week is sufficient, just keep a close eye on your b/f levels and intensity and make adjustments as needed to your regimine.

Another good option would be to do this first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. If you really want to lean out, throw in an OTC fat burner (Hydroxy Cut, Xenadrine, etc.) and this will give you an energy boost and help melt off a little more fat. Make sure you drink a lot of water if you do decide to take these products because they can help to dehydrate your body. Also, cycle them on two weeks, off two weeks so you do not build a tolerance to the chemicals. Studies currently indicate that these products help in sparing lean muscle tissue as well so in my opinion it's win/win for you. Try this out, keep track of your progreess, and let us know how you are coming long!

Doc M

Dank1447 is offline Junior Member
    i totally agree that walking on inclines are the best option for muscle sparring, also when you run too much for periods of time your shoulders become more rounded with your body trying to adapt to a running style, walking on an incline will eliminate the rounding effect, basically it is all about keeping an elevated heart rate which walking provides just as effectively as running, but is easier to maintain for a longer cardio session

juststarting is offline Junior Member

Thank Yall very much

I didnt get a chance to say this earlier cause Ive been really busy,but thank yall very much fro the help. I will start doing this very soon.

Pinch is offline Associate Member
    this guy says HIT cardio is actually better at preserving muscle...

plz read this article and let me know ur opinions

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/satter2.htm

Thread Information