sobrien is offline New Member

Bodybuilder with IBS - help!!!

Hi,

I am currently 2 weeks into a course and am having trouble eating enough because of bowel issues. I am about 220 naturally at 5.11 with about 12 % bodyfat. I am currently 230 but having difficulties because I cant shit for England.
    My diet on training days:

Breakfast: Mexican chicken wrap

Lunch: Chicken breast / Steak with veg / potatoes

Pre WO: Shake & Apple

post WO: PW shake

Evening: Fish / Meat + Veggies

I physically cannot eat more then this as I get bloated and my digestive system cannot cope. Because of IBS, I could actually get constipated on 2 small meals a day.

I dont know if other guys are having these kind of problems but it really is making my life and training difficult. It also causes me to hold a lot of water (slow digestive system + toxins being released back into the body)

I have tried fiber supplements / prune juice / changing diet (no dairies etc) but to no avail.
    I know this may not be the correct forum for this type of question but as it is the most popular, the chances are that someone might have experienced the same issues.
    It does piss me off as I have decent genetics and if I could consume enough calories I would be able to get very big.

Stu

KunipshunFit is offline Lounge Lizard
    this is not sound medical advice, and follow at your own risk...

I'd try some mexican food....something spicey (typically it opens up nasal passages and can speed the metabolism, while also increasing bowl movenments)

In conjunction, eat your fiber in the morning, so that it can be utilized in the afternoons.

And if that fails...try a bunch of shakes in one day...and have the famous Protien dump...

Lata

K'Fit

P.S. Let me know what happens...and what works...

Cheers

Will try this out while waiting to see consultant.

Stu

Ozzy is offline Senior Member
    If your having a hard time shittin and this is something the Chiropractor told me about just the other day. There are these new potatoe chips called "WOW"......now this is true not a joke. On the bag it has a caution that eating these chips can cause anal leackage. Honestly !!
    I don't say this to be funny but if you get constipated and your all bound up , these chips just might loosen you up. Ok , so this may not be some good advice , but I'm just trying to help you my brother. Good Luck

The stuff they fry those chips in is called "Olestra", and it does cause anal leakage in some people...

But an easier safer way is to eat a diet with plenty of fiber (the real stuff, not replacements) AND some good old olive oil to "lube the tubes" (add 1 + 1 and you get a nice salad!)

Sure as heck works for me.

Red

Cheers

I will be adding a salad to my preworkout meal (shake). Also will be adding 2 pieces of proper wholemeal toast to my breakfast and see ho I get on.

At the mo, i'm 235 pounds and around 10% bodyfat - good abs and vascularity.

Stats

Chest: 48
    Biceps: 19
    Legs: 27
    Waist: 35
    Calves: 17

Stu

Madmax is offline Senior Member
    i'd try more fiber....hope you don't get anal leakage from the wow chips...try metamucil.....Madmax...

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Been there, done that (IBS) . . . Best cure is the McDougal diet. It's mostly fiberous starches (dried beans, potatoes, etc) but by god it'll open up the most wretched of blocked intestines in three short days. Probably won't want to do the whole program if you're trying to put on any weight at all, but you could make up a pot of dried bean soup, or chug down a can or two of pre-cooked black beans (mix 'em up with onions, and they're pretty good). That will definitely help.
    Alternately, you could stop by your local health food store and get some psyllium husks. Cost around $7 a pound bag, and what you do with this is mix two tablespoons with half a cup of orange Tang and chug it right down (the combination is somewhat like pulpy orange juice). Then drink lots of water through the day (the water will keep you hydrated and make the psyllium husks swell), and repeat again the next day.
    If things are real bad and you can't get your business started, trip down to your local drugstore and pick up a bottle of "Fleet Enema." I haven't needed one of these babies in 20 years (thanks to the above 2 techniques) but they're great for getting the process started. Oh yeah, been there, done that . . .
    Good luck,
    --Tock

HeartDocMD is offline AR Medical Advisor
    IBS, is commonly misdiagnosed, so first are you sure this is truly what you have? If the answer is yes, try to stay away from fatty foods like french fries, milk products like cheese or ice cream, chocolate, alcohol, caffeine (found in coffee and some sodas) and carbonated drinks like soda. Good foods include apples, peaches , raw broccoli, cabbage, carrots, raw peas and whole-grain products. There are medicinal options (laxatives) as well which should be approached as a last resort.

Thread Information