2timer is offline Senior Member

some ketogenic diet questions!

I was wondering what vegetables am I allowed to eat that are really low in carbs? and where can you get ketostiks? (This is a measuring device from your urine). has anyone measured their ketosis in their urine before?

demetri is offline Member
    I don't eat any veggies while going into ketosis. I take a multi and only eat veggies when I'm doing the refeed(CKD).

You're best bet is to check out lowcarb.ca and ask in that forum or do a google on Atkins.

I think if you're out to get shreaded the lower carb you go the better. You should be safe though if you stay under 25 grams per day (this really varies though on activity, lean muscle mass, genetics, etc....). Eat low glycemic veggies (brocolli, carrots, lettuce) and you should be fine. Stay away from tomatoes.

d

thanks for the reply!

cut vegetables all the way? and ao should I double or triple my multis then?

well you'll only drop anchor every other day. From what I can see the only draw back is there's less time for reading.

I go no fibre during the week and have not had any problems. Don't eat too many eggs though, it'll feel like you're shitting out diamonds.

As to the multis? It depends on how much of the total recommended amounts of everything that it has. If it has no iron I don't think you'll have any problems if you double it. I quaroupled mine last year and got very six from iron toxicity. I'd only go over one a day now if it is an iron free multi.
    Last edited by demetri; 03-01-2003 at 01:30 AM.

orto is offline Junior Member
    When I was on keto I eat just salad and cabbage. They have alot fibers and a little carbs.

Ketosticks at GNC

hey what about bodyopus ketogenic diet. I am suppose to eat 60% fat? so that means if I eat 200 grams of protien I a have to eat about 250 grams of fat?

Originally posted by 2timer
    hey what about bodyopus ketogenic diet. I am suppose to eat 60% fat? so that means if I eat 200 grams of protien I a have to eat about 250 grams of fat?
    Duchaine makes a very strong point in that most people eat too much protein. The idea is to have a caloric deficit and get at least 60% to 70% of your calories from fat. Basically if your maintenance calories are 2000 cals a day then you would want to eat around 600 to 800 calories a day from protein or about 120 grams of protein.

I was eating around 100 grams of protein a day while on the body opus and had some nice strength gains. I've done the Opus a few times, with and without juice and have always seen an increase in strength.

Remember though that the Opus is now a little old and there are other diets out there. The TKD (Targeted Ketogenic Diet) as outlined by Lyle MacDonald is supposed to work nice, though MacDonald claims this to be out of date as well.

MacDonald was posting on Usenet (alt.misc.fitness.weights) that his thinking now on low carb diets is that you shouldn't sacrifice protein in order to have a caloric deficit. First you figure out your daily protein requirements (.9 grams of protein / pound of lean body weight). Then you figure out your maintenance calories and subtract a % (say 10 %). From there you subtract your protein calories, maybe 10 to 20 grams of carbs a day and the rest comes from fat.

The point I see most people getting mixed up on is they want to eat 200 to 300 grams of protein a day and then add crazy amounts of fat. The idea of a diet to cut is to have a caloric deficit. I've added the stupid amounts of fat myself and have seen results, but very slow results.

thanx for the reply

I just ordered the bodyopus book and I will try it for few weeks and then if I don't like it I will try other. I thought your mucles need alot of protien for mucle repair but what do I know. And three days a weeks workout is that enough? I am scared do that is it not being enough? I might feel guilty you know what I mean!

Tankass is offline Senior Member
    checkout www.c.k.d.com

Re: thanx for the reply

Originally posted by 2timer
    I just ordered the bodyopus book and I will try it for few weeks and then if I don't like it I will try other. I thought your mucles need alot of protien for mucle repair but what do I know. And three days a weeks workout is that enough? I am scared do that is it not being enough? I might feel guilty you know what I mean!
    There's a couple points of the OPUS that you'll want to tweak. The refeed schedule has you eating about twice the carbs you should be. I also didn't do the OPUS workout.

I think the depletion workout should be at the start of the week and not the end .... granted though I didn't do that either. I worked out 5 days a week, monday to friday and just grew on the weekends.

Keep in mind that the book (like any diet) is just a blue print. Try it out as Duchaine suggests. After a few weeks look at your progress and maybe you'll want to increase your refeeds, increase cardio, or what ever. What I liked about this book was that it changed how I look at what I eat, and how I train.

durbin22 is offline Member
    The only veggies I eat are green ones.

Thread Information