FedSki is offline Creator of Cycle Planner

Vitamin b6 for gyno

In an ealier posting I pointed out a source of information that stated the side effects of taking too much Vitamin B6.

No comments were posted. So I want to ask the question, has anyone had side effects while taking vitamin b6?

I've started taking it today - so far 200mg. Apparantly 100mg is 5000% of the recommended daily allowance. Yes 5000%.

Even taking 150mg of Vitamin b6 per day could result in temporary nerve damage.

So anybody got any comments?

lucky27 is offline Associate Member
    I'm also interested in this, considering I'm taking 800 mg's a day.

jd15 is offline Junior Member
    Bump

D1N1SKA is offline Junior Member
    Are there any side effects or interactions? Vitamin B6 is usually safe, at intakes up to 200 mg per day in adults.7 However, neurological side effects can sometimes occur at that level.8 Levels higher than 200 mg are more likely to cause such problems. Vitamin B6 toxicity can damage sensory nerves, leading to numbness in the hands and feet as well as difficulty walking. The National Academy of Sciences performed an analysis of vitamin B6 studies. They determined the safe upper limit for long-term use is 100 mg per day. However, under supervision of a healthcare professional, up to 200 mg per day of vitamin B6 can be safely taken by most men and nonpregnant women for limited periods of time. Pregnant and breast-feeding women should not take more than 100 mg of vitamin B6 per day without a doctor’s supervision.

Since vitamin B6 increases the bioavailability of magnesium, these nutrients are sometimes taken together.

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    I take 800mg a day for a prolactin inhibitor on fina and have had no problems at all.

Can one of you guys paste or link the actuall studies to this. I'd like to check/compare with my own research

jd15 is offline Junior Member
    i thought vit-E was used at high doses while on fina to prevent the prolactin build up.

Originally posted by jd15
    i thought vit-E was used at high doses while on fina to prevent the prolactin build up.

The following are excerpted from OB/GYN class notes:
    =============================================
    Suppression of Lactation:

When the mother chooses not to breast feed or the baby is lost, suppression of lactation may be required. Initially the breasts get engorged, however in the absence of suckling further milk production stops on its own. Firm support to the breasts is helpful in reducing the discomfort. Manual expression is not very helpful as it promotes further milk secretion. Estrogens in high doses can suppress lactation, however there are side effects and the risk of venous thrombosis, hence these are not recommended. Bromocryptine, a dopamine agonist, given 2.5 mg twice a day for 14 days can suppress lactation by producing a fall in prolactin levels. This therapy is expensive, has side effects and there may be rebound lactation once the drug is stopped. FDA no longer approves it. Pyridoxine – Vitamin B6, given 200 mg three times a day for 5-7 days is quite effective in suppressing lactation and the drug has no side effects.
    ================================================
    Got Wood? note : adding Bromo to your cycle only adds to the potential anabolic cascade, and potentially negative drug interactions. In medicine B6 is supposed to be as effective as Bromo. Plus vitamin B6 has few side effects.
    Here are a few of many studies supporting the use of Vitamin B6 in reducing prolactin:
    ======================================
    J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1976 Mar;42(3):603-6

Effect of pyridoxine on human hypophyseal trophic hormone release: a possible stimulation of hypothalamic dopaminergic pathway.

Delitala G, Masala A, Alagna S, Devilla L.

A single dose of pyridoxine (300 mg iv) produced significant rises in peak levels of immunoreactive growth hormone GH and significant decrease of plasma prolactin PRL in 8 hospitalized healthy subjects. Serum glucose, luteinizing hormone LH, follicle stimulating hormone FSH and thyrotropin TSH were not altered significantly. In addition, in 5 acromegalic patients who were studied with both L-dopa and pyridoxine, inhibition of GH secretion followed either agent in a similar pattern. These data suggest a hypothalamic dopaminergic effect of pyridoxine.

===============================
    N Engl J Med 1982 Aug 12;307(7):444-5

Pyridoxine (B6) suppresses the rise in prolactin and increases the rise in growth hormone induced by exercise.

Moretti C, Fabbri A, Gnessi L, Bonifacio V, Fraioli F, Isidori A.

=====================================
    Boll Soc Ital Biol Sper 1984 Feb 28;60(2):273-8

[Influence of administration of pyridoxine on circadian rhythm of plasma ACTH, cortisol prolactin and somatotropin in normal subjects]

[Article in Italian]

Barletta C, Sellini M, Bartoli A, Bigi C, Buzzetti R, Giovannini C.

The influence of vitamin B6 in a dosage of 300 mg X 2 in 24 hrs, on circadian rhythm of plasmatic ACTH, cortisol, prolactin and somatotropin have been studied in 10 normal women. After vitamin B6 24 hrs pattern of ACTH and cortisol is unchanged; prolactin levels are slightly lower, in a statistically unsignificant proportion the night peak of growth hormone is higher in a statistically significant proportion (p. 0.05). The effect of vitamin B6 is likely to me mediated by dopaminergic receptors at hypothalamic level as previous studies by other Authors appear to prove.

Solrock is offline Member
    Thanks FedSki. Fuck... I have been taking 1600 mg of B6 a day for the last 3 days for gyno issues.

Gotta get that bromo soon...

Rhino58 is offline Senior Member
    Damn i had no idea it was like that, i will have to take my b6 intake down a little.

Here's the web address again, of the site that details the side effects . . .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/features/vitamin_b6.shtml

The UK Government has just released data showing that an intake of 50mg of b6 per day can cause adverse affects. The site above has links to the UK Government documents.

Magicz is offline Associate Member
    am taking vitamin E and vitamin C and primrose oil with liver anti toxic

Yeah, but where did the BBC get that info, it states no refrences to studies or practioners.

As far as I'm concerned, it's just another article.
    I've never even seen B6 come in doses less than 100mg and mine come 250. I appreciate the input, all views should be considered, but I give that no credibility.

As a side note, the woman that wrote that is not an M.D.
    She's been qualified as a Doctor. Her highest level of education is an MB.

It even says in her profile she's a medical journalist. And I emphasize Journalist.

Originally posted by Pheedno
    Yeah, but where did the BBC get that info, it states no refrences to studies or practioners.

As far as I'm concerned, it's just another article.
    I've never even seen B6 come in doses less than 100mg and mine come 250. I appreciate the input, all views should be considered, but I give that no credibility.
    The BBC got its information from a document released by the UK Government's Department of Health.

http://www.doh.gov.uk/pub/docs/doh/b6.pdf

The link is also on the BBC web page.

Do you think the Department of Health has no credibility?
    Last edited by FedSki; 03-07-2003 at 08:01 AM.

Hey bro, I don't believe everything I read no matter if it comes from the Govt. or from a woman who calls herself a doctor and has no Medical degree in class of an M.D.

Now if you read that article, at the bottom it states that the least amount of B6 that side effects occured is 50mg. I would like to see the people or person that happened with. Because I'm betting they have a deficiency of one of the components it takes to process B6 effeciently.

More over, it states that in all cases, adverse side effects subsided adn are reversible after cessitation of ingestion.

I know I take 800mg a day with no problems. But to satisfy my own curiosity, I'm going to print out this article on both the BBC and Dept. of Health to take with me when I get my blood work done today.

I know I take 800mg a day with no problems. But to satisfy my own curiosity, I'm going to print out this article on both the BBC and Dept. of Health to take with me when I get my blood work done today.
    There are loads of web sites that publish data (from medical trials) with regard to the side effects of b6. Do a search for 'b6 side effects' in Google.

I'm sure some folks out there have been having muscle pains and weakness, numbness, pins and needles, etc. caused by b6 but put it down to something else. Now there's a thought!

I'm bettin I could find studies on adverse side effects of every vitamin out there.
    But just because I see a document that tells me I can get nerve damage from Vit. C isn't going to prevent me from taking my 1400mg when i have a cold or flu.

The plain fact of the matter is these Vitamins are on every shelf in every store. Vitamins don't even have age constraints. If a side effect or illness was a legitimate concern for the safety of the public, it would be regualted by Federal standards.

I appreciate your input on the subject. i keep an open mind to all info posted here so that views don't become biased and leveraged from repetitive thoughts and tradition. I'm not trying to start a bickering match with you. I'm just stating that the credibility of this info can be questioned for 1. lack of study(the one listed in that article even admits methodological defeciencies)
    2. My own experience
    3. The possibility that study was conducted and info was issued to limit liability for some reason(this occurs all the time in Federal sections and the private sector)
    4. The person who wrote the intial article for the BBC
    5. The lack of details on the patients of the study, what other ilnesses and defeciencies they had.
    6. The statement of reversible effects after cessetation of administration.

I could probably list forever.

I'll look into it but the fact that I can pick up a 250mg/per pill bottle of the stuff at my local grocery store, and have been able to for as long as they sold vitamins, tells me risk is minimal if not humorous.

I'll let my doc take a look at the study and try and find some other studies on side effects of other vitamins.

Obviously Pheedno likes his b6.

Has anyone else got any comments?

Anyone had any signs or symptoms of temporary nerve damage due to b6?

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    Hey bro, I don't believe everything I read no matter if it comes from the Govt. or from a woman who calls herself a doctor and has no Medical degree in class of an M.D.
    I dont know about the whole B6 thing but I do support this statement.

Pain

Originally posted by painintheazz

I dont know about the whole B6 thing but I do support this statement.
    Pain
    Hey I do to - I don't believe everything I read.

To be honest, I couldn't give a rat's ass about the woman who wrote the BBC article - it's the Dept. of Health article i'm more interested in. At present I am choosing to believe the DOH and err on the side of caution rather than start popping b6 tablets cause some fella on this board told me to.

Maybe, when I get more opinions, I'll change my mind.

PheedNo - any comments you received from your doctor that you'd like to share?

So far I've been taking a 'conservative' 400mg b6 ed for about a week and so far no sides. I'm gonna take a break from the stuff soon though just to be on the safe side.

Originally posted by FedSki
    PheedNo - any comments you received from your doctor that you'd like to share?

So far I've been taking a 'conservative' 400mg b6 ed for about a week and so far no sides. I'm gonna take a break from the stuff soon though just to be on the safe side.
    I havn't forgotten about ya bro. She wasn't there when my blood was taken. I'll get a response from the doc when I get my blood results.

dansteelman is offline Member
    Wow, this is a great thread! Lemme throw in some input here. I think that Pheedno and fed-ski are both correct in their own ways. IMO, Taking b-6 is probably just like taking any other medication like ephedrine, andro, or even vitamin C. You have subject A who will take 100 MG's Ephedrine a Day and subject B who takes 20 MG a day. Subject B keels over and dies while jogging. Why? No one knows! There is so much conflicting information on the internet and even through the FDA and dept of health.

The reason that B-6 hasnt been banned it that there hasnt been enough controversy around it to cause a stir-up in congress. Lets face it, Congress isnt going to write and pass legislation banning b-6 because of tingly feet. They will ban products that ar killing people. And since b-6 is naturally occuring, the FDA has no regulation over it unitl such time that congress passes legislation granting them power to do so.

Here's what I suggest, start at a dose of 100MG's a day and work your way up! If you experiance any sides, just stop!
    There are MANY good doctors in the UK and i think i would like to see what percentage had SERIOUS side effects. After all, look on any tylenol bottle and read all the possible side effects.
    Any time you take anything its a gamble. But this whole thread the leaves the phrase running through my head

SLIM Chance of Numb fingers? or supress Gyno I already have?

I would supress the gyno i already had and worry about other sides from b-6 later. But why buy the milk, when you can suck your own tit for free? LMAO. Sorry, couldnt help myself. Lets keep this going bros! BUUUUUMMMPP!

lucky27 is offline Associate Member
    Feedback- I was on 800 mg of B-6 a day for about 2 weeks, and at the beginning this week i started getting a stinging sensation in my shins when i would stretch them a certain way,kind of like that feeling you get in your neck when you do heavy DB shrugs, I guess kind of like the pins and needles thing, this week I dropped the B-6 down to 400 mg /day, but the sensation is slightli still there, not as sharp, but still there, I'm going to let it ride till next week and see, if still there I'll drop the B-6 to 200 mg/day, and see what the result are.

MacGyver is offline Associate Member
    Just got some B6 vitamin today. I know real late considering Ive had gyno symptoms for awhile. Im just real lazy!

Ill start today at 600mgED. I ll keep everyopne posted on ehat happens.

Theres one problem though, as w/ most vitamins and minerals dont you have to take them for about 2weeks to get sufficient levels in your body and for them to take effect? That means nothing shoudl happen for about 2weeks. If so then fuck that. Im gonna be done w/Tren in 3 more days whats the point?

vitamins are fast acting and with many i don't think you have to wait two weeks for them to take effect. why would people advocate taking vit c for a cold if it took two weeks for the vit c to boost the immune system?

anyway the estrogen accumulated in your body will take a while to be used or metabolised so stick with the b6 for a few weeks at least.

PHATCAT is offline Associate Member
    On 100mgs E.D. TREN , Been consuming
    Milk Thistle 400mg
    Vitamin C 2000mg
    B6 100mg
    Crannberry Extract 500mg
    PER DAY So far NO sides, NO back pains This has been working for me. Not even close to those doses you guys are taking C @1400mg / B @800m..........wow Very informative thread guys with many opions which is great because you open our minds to many different Ideas and lead use to many different links that we might not have ever found!!!! Keep it coming " I DONT BELIEVE every thing I read, But try to read though everything I can and sort though the SHIT..... That Is our PERSONAL responsiblity! "Spread KNOWLEDGE its CONTAGIOUS"!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Information