dreamache is offline Junior Member

no more protien drinks for me, ALL FOOD!

well i've basically tried many different types of protien drinks.. soy protien, non-dairy, etc etc and my body just can't digest it... so instead of putting myself through the pain i've given up on protien drinks..

with that said... what is some good basic protien rich foods that i can eat without much preparation.

i went to the store today and bought a bunch of canned tuna, 90g's of protien in 1 can, freakin $3.00 tho.

i'm 6'0 174 (was 190 before i couldn't digest protien drinks a few months ago)

i jus wanna keep on bulkin up so i assume i should try to get my body weight in grams of protien.

so i'm thinking i have 1 of those cans of tuna a day, maybe 50g's of chicken, 3 or 4 PB&J sandwiches and i think i should be pretty well off.

then once im a good solid 190 / 200 im gonna go forth with a first cycle..

anyhow, any other food recommendations? i dont want anything, TOO expensive

redrumkev is offline Associate Member
    umm... i would eat about 30 grams of protein from tuna 3 times a day. I would eat chicken about 2 times aday, pb&j, not sure - alot of carbs/strach. Fish is good - lots of protein low fat - cod, mahi mahi, salmon. Beef - lean portions. Try for protein like myoplex ready to drink 20g of carb - taste like choclatte milk with some eggs for breakfast. What about protein bars?
    Maybe you need more fiber?

FedSki is offline Creator of Cycle Planner
    Yes you need to get a good amount of fibre in your diet or protein shakes go straight through. Another thing - try mixing your shakes with water instead of milk and taking some carbs with the shake - like pasta or rice.

If you are looking to bulk up then I would suggest you eat at least 1g or protein per lb of body weight and double that in carbs. Don't worry too much about the fat - just don't eat loads of fatty and processed foods. Add plenty of rice, pasta, potatoes, etc. to your diet.

mammoth is offline Member
    Next time I would post this in the diet section, but I will throw my opinion in the mix. At your current weight you should have no problem getting the amount of protein that you need in order to bulk however as your weight increases it will become harder so I would not give up entirely on protein supplements. Have you seen a doctor about the fact that you cannot digest isolated proteins? Just curious. I am hating it for ya man! I can't imagine not being able to have my shakes everyday.

Those cans of tuns must be the family size ones if they have that much protein in them.

en1222 is offline Member
    what kind of tuna is it where its 90 grams of tuna in 1 can?
    How big is can?

palme is offline Rosie Member
    We have 150g tuna cans over here. 120g is tuna.

Protein shakes are good but not necessary to build muscle. You will need more then 1 can of tuna and 50g chicken bro. You will need 2-4g protein/kg bodyweight.

dansteelman is offline Member
    What about after a workout? I ALWAYS have shake after I work out due to the faster digestion time and being able to rush protein to my muscles. Its almost like Alka-seltzer compared to tylenol. One has to digest therefore works slower...am i wrong here?

FedSki is offline Creator of Cycle Planner
    Originally posted by dansteelman
    What about after a workout? I ALWAYS have shake after I work out due to the faster digestion time and being able to rush <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=PROTEIN" target="_blank">protein</a> to my muscles. Its almost like Alka-seltzer compared to tylenol. One has to digest therefore works slower...am i wrong here?
    u r right. i always have a protein shake and a banana straight after my training to get protein and carbs into my body. i drink a carb mix during my workout too.

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    Shakes are best used either early morning upon waking, and post workout. That is there time to shine. I also like shakes when cutting right before bed, a low carb and fat one with some added Fiber and Flax to slow the digestion.

Pain

BUYLONGTERM is offline Anabolic Member
    My body is ok with drinking Designer Whey powdered protein, but man, I just bought a huge jug of Nitro-tech, and Yikes, I haven't left the bathroom in 2 days....

Originally posted by buylongterm
    My body is ok with drinking Designer Whey powdered <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=PROTEIN" target="_blank">protein</a>, but man, I just bought a huge jug of Nitro-tech, and Yikes, I haven't left the bathroom in 2 days....
    Could be the lactose, do you have a intolerance for it?

Pain

thanks for the info guys. as for the protein questions, there is something in those damn drinks that is universal in all of them that i can't digest, the possibility that i wasn't getting enough fiber might be so, but i'm too damn traumatized for now with what i had to go through to reach the conclusion i'm at now, lol. i mean, is it true that protien from food ie chicken/tuna/fish is generally "better" than the protien in shakes? if so, i really don't wanna bother with any experimenting again.

BUYLONGTERM is offline Anabolic Member
    Pain, No I don't....I tried it again this morning, and I was fine??? I didn't take as much as before and I seem to be fine...I did 2 scoops instead of 3 or 4...I'm sure I was doing to much...

BUY

Originally posted by buylongterm
    Pain, No I don't....I tried it again this morning, and I was fine??? I didn't take as much as before and I seem to be fine...I did 2 scoops instead of 3 or 4...I'm sure I was doing to much...

BUY
    Probably was too much. Your body couldn't handle the absorption or something. You can try taking ginger root that will help absorption but I would just stick to the 2 scoops if that works.

Pain

NEO-OEN is offline Associate Member
    Yeah I had the same problem with the shakes and it was the lactose. I bought lactaid brand milk and havent had a problem since. You can buy lactaid drops too and then just put them into a 4 liter jug of regular milk, way cheaper that way.

Originally posted by NEO-OEN
    Yeah I had the same problem with the shakes and it was the lactose. I bought lactaid brand milk and havent had a problem since. You can buy lactaid drops too and then just put them into a 4 liter jug of regular milk, way cheaper that way.
    nope, for awhile i was able to drink lactaid milk, but then my body started to reject it. lol. i also tried the non-dairy protien drinks with just water and that didn't work either.

NEO-OEN is offline Associate Member
    Thats messed up man. But be one of the additives in those shakes. I knew someone that always got sick. I think it was from the Niacin in them.. Good luck..

longhornDr is offline Member
    I usually eat 2 slices of whole wheat bread or a cup of brown rice with my protein drink when I want to slow down absorption. Before I go to bed I eat a combo of leanbeef/chicken/blacktip which keeps a steady supply of AA's being absorbed throughout the night.

As for cheap protein, I usually watch for sales on chicken etc. I just loaded up my freezer with 99cent/lb tyson boneless chicken breast.

Decoder is offline Banned
    eat bars or drink EAS HP protien drinks, its just like kool aid.

Thread Information