Foxy Sphinx is offline Associate Member

Question Fruit Juice and Orals...

I read somehwere that grapefruit juice, or even better id think would be pineapple juice, and taking orals, increases their digestion and effectiveness or some shit like that. Does anyone have any comments about this? I recall its something to do with enzymes in the juices helping digest the orals better or quicker or more effectively.

Boxer101 is offline Junior Member
    Grapefruit juice is supposed to increase the effectiveness of dbol in particular. I have never heard anything about it increasing the effectiveness of all orals. Also, I have never heard anything about pineapple juice. You heard right though. Grapefruit juice breaks down an enzyme in your stomach that reduces the effectiveness of dbol...

big swoll is offline Member
    is it grape juice, or grapefruit juice...i had always heard grape juice, but maybe i just wasn't paying close enough attention

H BOMB is offline Senior Member
    grapefruit juice

BASK8KACE is offline Anabolic Member
    Here is a sampling of common food and drug interactions and their potentially dangerous effects. This chart is by no means exhaustive. If you have questions about food interactions and the medicines you are taking, please consult your doctor or pharmacist.

The chart is located at this link:
    http://www.jhbmc.jhu.edu/OPA/baynews...01/recipe.html

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    This is a thread that LT put up on this subject. Pretty good read

http://www.anabolicreview.com/vbulle...apefruit+juice

Lift Chief is offline Member
    Originally posted by Pheedno
    This is a thread that LT put up on this subject. Pretty good read

http://www.anabolicreview.com/vbulle...apefruit+juice
    One of the most comprehensive posts i've seen on the issue- i love that thread.

I think most people find that grapefruit juice neutralizes the enzymes that break down the oral they're using and therefore they get more out of it.

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    Here is some more info on that subject.

Pain
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Punchier Drugs--With Grapefruit Juice
    A glass of grapefruit juice not only helps the pill go down, it also makes it more potent. Now, a study in the current Journal of Clinical Investigation has revealed why: A substance in the juice fights a drug-degrading enzyme in the intestine. The insight could be a first step toward increasing the effectiveness of some oral drugs.
    About 3 years ago, researchers noted that grapefruit juice helps the body absorb many types of drugs, including sedatives, hormones, and protease inhibitors. A group of doctors from the University of Michigan and the London Health Sciences Centre, in London, Ontario, set out to investigate. They focused on an enzyme in the liver and intestine, called CYP3A4, that usually breaks down toxins from spoiled food. "It's [also] the most prolific of the drug-degrading enzymes," says Paul Watkins, a member of the Michigan team. In fact, it contributes to the breakdown of about half of all known human drugs.
    Watkins and his colleagues gave felodipine, a calcium channel blocker used to control high blood pressure, to 10 healthy men, both with and without grapefruit juice. The grapefruit juice increased blood concentrations of felodipine more than fourfold. The team also measured the concentrations of CYP3A4 levels in the intestine and found that they fell by 62%. Something in grapefruit juice appears to be blocking the action of CYP3A4. But the concentration of CYP3A4 in the liver was unchanged--suggesting that the juice does not affect the rate at which the drug is metabolized once it enters the bloodstream.
    If the active ingredient of grapefruit juice can be identified and isolated, drugs might be made more effective--and less expensive per useful dose. Adding grapefruit's CYP3A4 blocker to a pill could also assure a set dosage, an advantage, because people naturally vary 10-fold in how much of a drug they absorb. "It will make a lot of difference in the way people take drugs," predicts Raymond Woosley, a pharmacologist at Georgetown University Medical Center

GRAPEFRUIT JUICE AND DRUGS
    HOW DOES GRAPEFRUIT JUICE AFFECT THE DRUGS I AM TAKING?

Grapefruit juice blocks cytochrome P-450 3A4 and Ia2 (CYP3A4 and CYP1A2) enzymes in your intestinal wall. Common to all living organisms, the body has evolved the cytochrome P-450 system, a superfamily of enzymes responsible for removing drugs and toxins from the body. The cytochrome P-450 3A4 subfamily, located predominantly in the liver and intestinal tract, is one of the most common enzyme systems for metabolizing drugs. Most drugs are lipid-soluble or"fat-loving", so that they are readily absorbed in your bloodstream. To eliminate these drugs, however, in the cytochrome P450 system either breaks them down in the gut or changes them in to a more water-soluble or "water-loving" version in the liver. The kidney can then eliminate them in the urine. Thus, the liver,gut, and kidney work together to prevent excessive amounts of drug and/or toxins from getting in to your bloodstream. Grapefruit juice blocks the cytochrome P450 3A4 enzyme systems in your gut. By inhibiting this defence mechanism, grapefruit juice may increase the blood levels of some drugs. Therefore, you may experience adverse effects from the drugs you are taking when taken with grapefruit juice.

WHICH SUBSTANCE IN THE GRAPEFRUIT JUICE IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THESE INTERACTIONS WITH DRUGS?

The precise chemical nature of the substance in the grapefruit juice that inhibits gut wall CTP 3A4 enzymes is unknown. It has been suggested that flavanoids, coumarin, or psoralen derivatives in the grapefruit juice could be the inhibitors. The amount of inhibiting substance in grapefruit juice may vary by brand, concentrations and storage conditions.

I DRINK ONE GLASS OF REGULAR GRAPEFRUIT JUICE WITH BREAKFAST IN THE MORNING, WILL THIS AFFECT THE DRUGS I AM TAKING?
    Yes. Regular grapefruit juice is prepared by diluting frozen grapefruit juice with normal amount of water. Double-strength grapefruit juice is prepared by diluting frozen grapefruit juice with half the normal amount of water. One glass of regular grapefruit juice is enough to significantly raise the blood levels of the number of drugs.

FOR HOW LONG DOES THE GRAPEFRUIT JUICE INHIBIT CYP 3A4?

The inhibitory effect of grapefruit juice on CYP 3A4 can last for several hours. A recent study found increased blood levels of calcium-channel blocker felodipine (Plendil) even when the drug was given 24 hours after drinking grapefruit juice.

I TAKE AN EXTENDED RELEASE PRODUCT, IS THIS ALSO AFFECTED BY GRAPEFRUIT JUICE?

Yes. Grapefruit juice increases the blood levels of extended release preparations. Recent studies have shown increased blood levels of extended release felodipine,extended release nifedipine (Adalat, Procardia) when taken with grapefruit juice.

WHICH DRUGS ARE AFFECTED BY GRAPEFRUIT JUICE AND WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THEIR BLOOD LEVELS INCREASE?

CYP 3A4 is involved in the metabolism of many medications. When CYP 3A4 is inhibited by grapefruit juice, the blood levels of many medications may rise. Examples of drugs reported to interact are listed in the table below. Since many more drugs are likely to interact, it is important to ask your doctor or pharmacist if you drink grapefruit juice and are taking any medications.

Foxy Sphinx is offline Associate Member
    thanx alot bros, great responses. Havnt read any yet but before I do, does it work with Anavar as well?

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    Originally posted by Foxy Sphinx
    thanx alot bros, great responses. Havnt read any yet but before I do, does it work with Anavar as well?
    YUP

Thread Information